New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reliable Cobra/Z06 killer with an 02' SS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008 | 06:11 PM
Teching In

Default Reliable Cobra/Z06 killer with an 02' SS?

Hi guys, I am new here as you might have guessed. I am looking to build a nice rig here pretty soon. I am wanting to build a Whipple Cobra and Z06 Corvette killer but yet something I can drive every day and be reliable.

Right now, I am looking for a car to start on. I will either be going with an 02' SS Camaro so I'll have an LS1 to base this project on. I am assuming I will need to gain some cubes, but I am not sure what's the best way to do that. I would like to make some awe inspiring power, somewhere in the 800-1000rwhp range. I am thinking right now that a couple turbo's would be my best bet, but I am not sure which kit to go with or where to start. I am sure I will need to beef up the rear end and such, but again I am just not familiar enough with these cars to know where to start yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-30-2008 | 06:31 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ReCoil
I would like to make some awe inspiring power, somewhere in the 800-1000rwhp range.
I'm assuming that you have 10's of thousands of dollars in mind for a budget right?
Old 11-30-2008 | 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by unit213
I'm assuming that you have 10's of thousands of dollars in mind for a budget right?
That's no joke.

We can give you all the help and knowledge you need to get you to your goal but if you've got a budget in mind now would be the time to let us know. You can definitely get to where you want to be with the LSx platform but it's gonna take some $$$ to get you there.
Old 11-30-2008 | 07:23 PM
10 Second Club

You name the budget and we'll name your setup
Old 11-30-2008 | 07:26 PM
10 Second Club

heads cam converter should be easy...
Old 11-30-2008 | 07:50 PM
Teching In

Well mainly I was planning on doing this in stages. Budget is not unlimited, but I am prepared to spend several thousand on each stage to get the car where I want it to be. Really I guess I am trying to figure out through suggestions just what kinda of money I'll be looking at and start researching from suggestions. I was going to buy a C6 Z06 but the payment is a killer and I'd rather have something I can afford to break.. -Thanks guys!

PS: This is the car I am thinking about buying.. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ce=&cardist=22

Last edited by ReCoil; 11-30-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-30-2008 | 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

here is a suggestion:

option 1, price 6K to 9K - goal 500 to 600 hp without modifying the internals, heads or intake. Headers, catback, high flow y pipe, supercharger, upgraded fuel systems and injectors, balancer, quality dyno tune.

Option 2, price 1K - 3K - goal 400 to 550 hp, same as option but delete supercharger and add nitro set-up

Option 3, price 3K to 6K on top of option 1 - goal 700 to 900 hp, forged internals and stroke block to 383, heads and intake.

Supercharger can be replaced with turbo, and additional savings can be gained if you can do the work yourself.

I am sure there are a million more combinations but this is a start.

PS, that is a nice car but it is overpriced with that many miles...
Old 11-30-2008 | 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

It isn't a impossible task, but why spend the money on a C6 Z06 when alot of that payment could go towards what you would need to make the power. A Z28, SS, TA, WS6, GTO, or C5 vette will do the trick. Just be prepared to replace the entire driveline to boot for looking for that kind of power. I'm heads cam and looking into a big bottle once i get my motor in the beginning of the year. Should make well over 600whp on bottle which is enough to "possibly" take out whipple/Kenne Bell cobras(no offense unit) or modded C6 Z06s. Just to give you an idea turbos are one route, but the price adds up quick to do it properly and not half *** it.
Old 11-30-2008 | 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

I just bought the same car you showed us only w/ 28,125 miles for $12,000 you should look around a little more for something cheaper to start w/ if you want to spend that much on a drivetrain.
Old 11-30-2008 | 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

There are so many ways for you to go to reach your goals but these cars can be had now pretty cheaply if you are willing to shop around. Looks like a nice car u are looking at but waaay over priced. I have seen better deals than I got but as an example I paid 10K in April 07 for my woman owned 49k immaculate T/A.

Also if you are planning to keep it stock bottom end for a while the 01-02's have stronger rod bolts so keep that in mind. Pistons/rod bolts are the LS1 weak points stock but you will pick that up after a few days on here. The factory cranks are pretty good though.

Lurk around here awhile and read all the stickys and you will be on your way to putting together a nice setup Ask away too as there are a lot of smart guys on here.

Also search the F/I and Internal sections for more technical stuff
Old 11-30-2008 | 08:31 PM
Teching In

What all would need to be replaced and upgraded on the drivetrain side to handle the horsepower I am wanting? And like I said, this would be a project, I'd likely have some fun first, and hook up a 150 shot or something until the LS1 starts to buckle then upgrade to a 408 short block or something that's forged as hard as a coffin nail and bullet proof if you know what I mean. Any suggestions on what short block to go with?
Old 11-30-2008 | 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

well for first i would do a 9inch and build the trans..if you still have money do heads,cam,and nitrous...which that right there will give you a lot, say 400hp NA and a 200 shot puts you a 600 give or take a little...
Old 11-30-2008 | 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

x2, assuming you are running qtr mile, then the stock rear should be replaced as the 10 bolt is a weak point, better suspension for hard launches, better drive shaft, heads, cam, intake, exhaust, 100 - 150 nitro shot. Should be able to do that for between 3K to 6K and easily hit 500 - 550 hp.
Old 11-30-2008 | 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

800-1000RWHP your talking MAJOR upgrades and some serious power. You can beat those 2 cars with considerably less power, some weight savings, and the right setup.

I would say 800-1000rwhp is $12,000+ done the right way.

To beat those cars look for like 500-600rwhp and a little weight savings and it will be MUCh more affordable.
Old 11-30-2008 | 10:44 PM
11 Second Club
15 Year Member

Holy over price..shop around for another Car..
Old 11-30-2008 | 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Before you even get into the motor you talking 9" rear and a tranny upgrade. Most at that that power like a BUILT 4l80E cause it has OD if you are gonna drive it on the street but it really sounds like a TH 400 or even Powerglide is for you. Then there is the suspension stuff like decent shocks (Strange or even better AFCO's), TA, LCA's PHB, SFC's and drag sway at a minimum for the HP you want. A cage which I am sure you have already thought about. I can keep going but you get the point. Look up Madman on here for all your drag suspension stuff.

The motor is a whole new chapter but search the LSX block (badazzzz) or if on a budget build an LQ4/LQ9 iron block. Keep us posted on what you do as every body on here (almost) loves a Cobra Killer haha

BTW never seen a Whippled Cobra but plenty Kenne Bells......
Old 12-01-2008 | 12:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Most at that that power like a BUILT 4l80E .
SOM is right. 60s arent reliable at that power level, all tranny builders will surely push you away from it. i figure about what 5 grand for just trans and 9 inch?
Old 12-01-2008 | 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

If you are going to do this, either way buy a car that is miled out or either a roller because in the end you will need to replace more or less everything. You will only being actually buying the 'cosmetics' of the car, interior, body, etc.

Trust me, take it from one who knows. Bought a low milleage 01 WS6 and ended up replacing everything. Payed top dollar for it and it was mildly modified but those parts weren't good enough for the 1000rwhp project I anticipated on.

Buy a 99 or 00, the 98 is the odd ball that ya might want to stay away from.

Iron 6.0 is the cheapest bet. 370 for FI and stroke that bitch to 408 if N/A with a nice big plate that hoses in the laughing gas

LS7 with a sick topend, take your pick, if money is no concern.

Moser 9'' and a th400 for a budget.

Moser M9 or midbest fabbed 9'' with a 4l80e again if money is concern.

Many ways to build a best, s/c, turbo or bad *** n/a with nitrous. Will it be a street/strip or drag because stripping allot of weight is huge in these heavy *** cars. If you are concerned with weight, buying the right power/drivetrain along with weight reductions will net you huge.

Or you can be like MightyMouse and drive to the LSX shootout with a full weight WS6, run 8's, win the street challenge award and drive back home

Lots of options, lots of advice here but either way you will need lots of $$$

Good Luck and be prepared to spend hours on here before you even think about touching a wrench
Old 12-01-2008 | 12:38 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the awesome info guys! I have a nice idea of what I am getting into now and a few places to start. I know that the car I posted was overpriced because I had planned to beat them down on the price or walk. Right now in the Kansas City area there just isn't a bunch of good cars for sale yet. Maybe when it gets closer to spring I'll see them pop up. In the mean time, I've got my researching cut out for me! My best friend is buying an 03 Cobra this spring, so that is the main basis behind this project is to get a nice battle going! -Thanks again!
Old 12-01-2008 | 12:46 AM
Restricted User

That car is way over priced man i got my 1 owner T/A with 64000 miles on it for $6,000 . Took a little shopping to find but well worth it. If you found a good deal on an f-body and used the extra money you would have spent on that car you could have one freaking fast f-body!

Ive been on this site daily for like 3 months and still not sure what cam i want to get with the TSP PRC stg 2.5 5.3L heads... do your reasearch!

The biggest thing is to do a search on all the forums befor you ask questions then if you dont find an answere then ask it. I have found that most everything you could want to know is already in one of the forums.

These guys are always willing to help with anything!

Good luck on your F-body quest!