New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 SS camaro vs z28 differences

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008 | 05:53 PM
Launching!

Default 2002 SS camaro vs z28 differences

Hey guys I was looking at a camaro and found a 2002 SS, i called up GM to see if it was a real SS and checked the vin, and they said it was, and had all of the packages, apparently theirs an appearance, performance, and suspension package? I have no idea, im just wondering what parts are different on the SS then the z28. I know they acclaim 325hp but i heard all ls1's have the same horsepower, only thing i know they have is the SS spoiler and the Ram air hood, with wider wheels. thanks alot!!

btw... i know 2002 they upgrade to ls6 intake manifold and heads.. don't they have stronger clutches like ls7 clutches?
Old 12-04-2008 | 06:13 PM
12 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/1740880-post2.html
Old 12-04-2008 | 06:16 PM
Banned

You need to call SLP, they will tell you what they did to it since they did all the SS mods to cars that rolled out as basically Z28's with temp hoods, no spoilers, steel wheels, no emblems, etc.
SLP can tell you when they got it, what was done to it, when it left.

If the car has anything other than base SS stuff it will have red and white SLP stickers on both door jambs.
Old 12-04-2008 | 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mastercoryd
btw... i know 2002 they upgrade to ls6 intake manifold and heads.. don't they have stronger clutches like ls7 clutches?
the 2001-2002 had the ls6 intake, and different casting heads, they werent ls6 heads, but they did flow a little better. and no, no ls6 clutch, but the 2001 had a better clutch hydraulic system.
Old 12-05-2008 | 08:14 AM
TECH Addict

I believe they came with LS6 clutches, well our 02 WS.6 did anyway.. The LS7 was a few years after they stopped production on the F-bodys.
Old 12-05-2008 | 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

Yes, all '01 and '02 M6s got the LS6 clutch. The "upgrades" on the base SS are hood, spoiler, 17X9 wheels, 32mm front sway bar(vs. 30mm), and power steering cooler. SLP had some other performance and handling options.
Old 12-05-2008 | 09:46 AM
Launching!

are those LS6 clutches strong? how much hp can they handle and.. when u guys say SLP had their other options, is that an "slp SS camaro" or just slp does that to SS camaro's? because my neighbor said he had an slp camaro or did he just have an SS that Slp did all their performance packages to
Old 12-05-2008 | 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

The LS6 clutch is made to hold the 400hp that the C5 Z06 made. I ran my car at 395rwhp for some time with it. After upgrading to the LS7 clutch, I could tell that the factory one was slipping a little when shifting hard. So, IMO over 400rwhp it gets iffy.

Some do consider the SS with additional SLP options as an "SLP SS Camaro" but that does not really mean much since they did all go to SLP to be "converted" to an SS so take that how you want. Cars with these options have an additional sticker on the passenger door with the options listed, which might include lid, dual/dual cat-back exhaust, shocks, springs, floor mats, etc.
Old 12-05-2008 | 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

there is an additional package that slp did where they put the lid, exhaust, and i think some other appearance mods, that was on top of the standard ss package.
Old 12-05-2008 | 12:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Arctic2002ss
Yes, all '01 and '02 M6s got the LS6 clutch. The "upgrades" on the base SS are hood, spoiler, 17X9 wheels, 32mm front sway bar(vs. 30mm), and power steering cooler. SLP had some other performance and handling options.
The PS cooler come standard on all LS1 f-bodies, or if it's not standard theres a high percentage of them with it.
Old 12-05-2008 | 12:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by All Black SS
You need to call SLP, they will tell you what they did to it since they did all the SS mods to cars that rolled out as basically Z28's with temp hoods, no spoilers, steel wheels, no emblems, etc. SLP can tell you when they got it, what was done to it, when it left.

If the car has anything other than base SS stuff it will have red and white SLP stickers on both door jambs.
Boy is that info incorrect! GM assembled all SS with non-production temp hoods, yes. But they all were equipped with the Silver SS wheels (either 10-spoke on later models or the ZR1 on early models), GM did not ship them with steel wheels. They all had non-production wings. And they all had the badges on them from the factory. SLP had approval to sell off everything they pulled of these models to sell as take off unit, even the GM deemed non-production parts (hoods and spoilers). This info came directly from Jeff Yachnin (then Chief SLP Engineer) back in the day.
Old 12-05-2008 | 05:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 12secSS
Boy is that info incorrect! GM assembled all SS with non-production temp hoods, yes. But they all were equipped with the Silver SS wheels (either 10-spoke on later models or the ZR1 on early models), GM did not ship them with steel wheels. They all had non-production wings. And they all had the badges on them from the factory. SLP had approval to sell off everything they pulled of these models to sell as take off unit, even the GM deemed non-production parts (hoods and spoilers). This info came directly from Jeff Yachnin (then Chief SLP Engineer) back in the day.

Were you there, I wasn't either.
The break down on one RPO code off my car includes information saying it was shipped out of GM with no spoiler, full moon, clear night at 9:35 pm est.
I guess it all depends.
Old 12-06-2008 | 03:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The break down on one RPO code off my car includes information saying it was shipped out of GM with no spoiler, full moon, clear night at 9:35 pm est.
I guess it all depends.
It says that on your rpo code sheet? What RPO code means there was no spoiler, steel wheels, no emblems, and a temp hood?
Old 12-06-2008 | 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SOM02WS6
It says that on your rpo code sheet? What RPO code means there was no spoiler, steel wheels, no emblems, and a temp hood?
Old 12-06-2008 | 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

you guys better check for exhaust leaks if you can't detect blatant sarcasm
Old 12-06-2008 | 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

I guess it all depends.
As a matter of fact, I was. I was active on the SLP forums (for Firehawks and Camaro SS) when this was discussed.

Read what I posted again ...

This info came directly from Jeff Yachnin (then Chief SLP Engineer) back in the day.

Or ask David Hamburger on here.
Old 12-07-2008 | 01:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 12secSS
As a matter of fact, I was. I was active on the SLP forums (for Firehawks and Camaro SS) when this was discussed.

Read what I posted again ...

This info came directly from Jeff Yachnin (then Chief SLP Engineer) back in the day.

Or ask David Hamburger on here.
I worked at SLP when I lived in New Jersey. I upfitted my car as well as hundreds of others. Hamburger was my helper. Yachnins job was to install the red stickers, thats why half of them you see are crooked, cause he was a drunk back in the day.
Old 12-08-2008 | 01:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I guess it all depends.
I worked at SLP when I lived in New Jersey. I upfitted my car as well as hundreds of others. Hamburger was my helper. Yachnins job was to install the red stickers, thats why half of them you see are crooked, cause he was a drunk back in the day.

Old 12-08-2008 | 12:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BobDoLe

Technically I was there but I wasn't there. I was getting drunk in the tool shed with Yachnin, Hamburgers helper.

Yes Blatent Sarcasm, and might I add bullshitting.

It should be known that this forum is not the place to ask about the elusive SS morphing phase.

Don't know what to tell you if you have telephobia and can't call SLP.
Old 12-09-2008 | 07:12 PM
Launching!

SO i got the car, its a 2002 SS, it doesnt come with the lid or exhaust, but i noticed one of the options on the SS sheet said performance suspension, does that mean i have aftermarket shocks? if so what color would they be so i can doublecheck and would they be able to support lowering springs?

Quick Reply: 2002 SS camaro vs z28 differences