New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body paint damage???

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008 | 10:34 PM
Launching!

Exclamation Body paint damage???

Ok.. So i parked my car at school.. I always am the stupid one who parks like a mile from the school so my car doesnt get door dings or hit or anything... Well apparently it still can happen... I have a huge chip in the paint on my front driver side bumper... It is cracked all the way around to the bottim of the fog light but its just the paint.. I think that the bumper is alright. Should i just go and buy a new bumper or does anyone know an easy way to fix the little problem without paying $350 for repainting it... The grill also had alot of damage but i fixed that.. I repainted it black and i kinda like the new look but i kinda dont... I would go without it but inside of the bumper is like stirofoam... anyway to remove that?

Here is some pictures of what it looks like...

Old 12-07-2008 | 10:49 PM
12 Second Club

wait, did someone back into you or something? i dont understand how this happened.
Old 12-07-2008 | 10:58 PM
Launching!

Ya.. i dont know what it was exactly but something did... The plastic doenst look cracked but my paint is damaged all the way from the big chip all the way to the end of the bumper on the passenger side
Old 12-07-2008 | 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

As long as you have to keep taking it to school, I'd NOT repaint it. The odds of it happening again are high and as a student, its just not worth having to keep paying for this.

Just hunt out a new nose piece and have it on standby to bolt in once you know you don't have to deal with this crap again, or just bolt it in during the summer and go back to the damaged piece during the non cruising months. Toss a bra on it too. I hate student drivers honestly.
Old 12-07-2008 | 11:05 PM
Launching!

I know i hate student drivers too.. i dont really drive it to school that much cuz i live in a lil town wit a bunch of rednecks that drive big 4x4 trucks so im nervous to drive it to school... i graduate december 17 so thats why i am asking how to fix it cuz i wont have to worry about it in about two weeks...
Old 12-07-2008 | 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you going to college? I think college drivers are worse lol. These kids don't give a **** about anything.
Old 12-07-2008 | 11:10 PM
Launching!

lol.. no im not a college im just in high school.. but in august im attending OU so... i am more nervous about my car then the collehe...
Old 12-07-2008 | 11:15 PM
On The Tree

That car has most definitely had paint work done to it before, actually the bumper has been replaced. Factory paint doesn't just flake off like that, someone was a little sloppy when it came time to prep it for paint. If it's not prepped properly, the pressure from a hose can cause it to blow apart like that.

But I would have to fix that. That big black spot would drive me nuts. There shouldn't be any reason why you can't have a nice car in High School. I always did, and didn't get a ding throughout the entire time, I just did like you, I always got an end spot far away. I'm even going through college without anything, knock on wood.
Old 12-07-2008 | 11:20 PM
Launching!

Ya i know but i go to a lil school with ppl who drive nothing but 4x4 trucks and cant really see my car.... my car sticks out bad where i am from but i wouldnt trade it for anything...
Old 12-08-2008 | 03:26 AM
Staging Lane

Cheap way out is if you know anyone with a shop and paint guns. Simply feather out the paint chips until the edges are smoothed out. Then scuff up the entire bumper, and paint the whole thing. You could just try to paint the chipped area, and blend into the bumper, but the **** looks ugly. Better to repaint the whole thing. The guy is right. The car has had paint work done before. Whoever did it didnt scuff up the nose peice good enough for the paint to stick. I see that **** often, its sad :/
Old 12-08-2008 | 11:48 AM
Teching In

gotta love lazy painters they make scuff additives to remove the mold release agents off the new bumper!! def fix this bumper because either way you have to paint both! retard drivers thats who should be worried about fixin your car!!!!
Old 12-08-2008 | 07:51 PM
Launching!

ya i know.. I bought the car from a friend so idk what he did to it paint wise...i am just gonna have to buy a new one... idk which one to get cuz i want one different then the one i have now.. n e suggestions anyone?
Old 12-08-2008 | 08:34 PM
12 Second Club

no need to panic. car is white, non-metallic paint. sand down the area, prime, prep and paint to match by blending into the rest of the front bumper. you can do this in an afternoon for a fraction of the cost of dicking with removal, paint, and install of a new bumper...
Old 12-08-2008 | 08:57 PM
Launching!

Ya i know but im not all experienced in that... and i dont wanna make my car look worst then it already does... If i knew how to exactly i would atleast attempt it...
Old 12-08-2008 | 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

Default bumper

bet it lifts and turns real ugly fast. take it to the car wash take a presure hose and see if it all blows off if it does your lucky. prep it and re paint
Old 12-08-2008 | 09:03 PM
Launching!

It does blow off real quick... I accidently washed over it once and peices flew overywhere...
Old 12-09-2008 | 11:54 AM
Teching In

there ya go you got a new bumper now just scuff it better than the last person did HAHAH
Old 12-09-2008 | 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

paint wont stick to a slick surface. Thats why you scuff it up to give the paint something to adhere to. If its not scuffed good, paint will technically stick until something gets under it, then you can grab and pull chunks of paint off. If you want to do it yourself all you have to do is feather out the bumper where the chips are and any other defects. You do this so that when you repaint it you dont see the outline of the chips, it gives it a nice smooth surface. What your looking for when you scuff is for a shine. You want every shiney part gone. When its dull, its good. If it shines, it means its not scuffed and paint will have a hard time sticking. Painting isnt really all that hard, but i do it for a living so yeah. Hope this helps. You can pm me if you want to know more