Sponsored by:

LS1 Engine in 57 Chevy with Morrison frame

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 11:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Engine in 57 Chevy with Morrison frame

Hi all,

I am new here, and I need some help and direction.

I have a 57 Chevy convertible body up at Glenn Vaughn's in Idaho and decided instead of making it a trailer queen to make it a street car. I want it to be a touring car (Morrison said he could do this) and be fairly comfortable to drive. I want it to get awesome gas milage (I was told a tuned-down LS1 could get upwards of 28 miles per gallon) but want it to move out when you put your foot in it. Was thinking of a 4E60 tranny.

Where do I start? I know ALOT about the old small block Chevy, but want this to drive like newer cars. No carbueretor! I would need the computer, sensors, etc. The car is still having its steel worked on, so modification of the engine compartment is possible before paint. I am also very computer literate, so I can reprogram the engine computer with the proper kit. But I have no clue which LS1 engine to get or whatever, or a good guide for the swap.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

Bill B.
aka Steed (like John Steed, of the Avengers!)
Old 12-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Hello Bill B.

A friend of mine did one. LS6 /4L60E I think / Morrison. You can see it here at www.snyderstreetrods.com. look in the Gallery section. Or call Mike at 402-463-1940.

Disclaimer
Not try to sell a service for anyone. Just trying to help a guy with his car!

Capt. Chrysler
Old 12-11-2008, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Welcome to LS1 tech, interesting project you have! I think you'd find your most help in the Conversion forums.

As for a transmission, have you looked into the 4l80e? The large amount of weight you are gonna be pulling around i'd say the 4l80e is a much better choice.

4l60e's just can't hold as much for extended periods.