New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 to M6?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 to M6?

So i have been looking into getting an ls1 for my rx7, and saw a wrecked 00 trans am with an A4 and was wondering. If i were to buy the engine/ecm how much work would it be to make it work with an m6 (other than bolting it up). Does the harness have many differences that would throw a wrench into my swap?
Old 12-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dzook41
So i have been looking into getting an ls1 for my rx7, and saw a wrecked 00 trans am with an A4 and was wondering. If i were to buy the engine/ecm how much work would it be to make it work with an m6 (other than bolting it up). Does the harness have many differences that would throw a wrench into my swap?
I swapped an A4 to M6
As for the harness, I had to add two pins/wires to the harness at the ECM, one was for the reverse lockout, one was for the cruise control to work right.
Thats it.
I think the speedo wires need to be lengthened a few inches too.

And you HAVE TO reflash the ECM to an M6, there are a lot of differences with idle, timing, speedo, some things aren't even defined. Like cruise control, I drove around with the M6 pedals all wired up and the A4 trans, it worked fine. Then when I flashed it to the M6 tune the clutch anticipation switch needed to be wired to another ECM pin to work the same.

Some people don't need to rewire anything. If you don't care about cruise, and you don't mind the extra pushing to get the stick in reverse or you just remove the reverse solenoid, you can just cut the big A4 section off.
Except for the two speedo wires and rear O2's (if you even need those).
Old 12-28-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

IBTL
Old 12-28-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
IBTL
why ? he wants to know if it will go it to his rx7 not his fbody.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

BC of "?"
Old 12-29-2008, 05:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I don't know how the LS cars wire the Cruise Control in the Harness, I ripped all that out for my swap since the Cruise Control was a seperate setup on my '95 Z28.

This is what I did for the Wiring in my LS Harness for the conversion to the T56..

In the Harness, strip out all the Auto Wiring except one wire that goes to the PCM(I left the Torque Convertor Clutch Signal wire, you will need this eventually for the Reverse Lockout Signal), and also leave the pink power wire that powers the Solenoids for the 4L60E Transmission. To find the power wire, trace the pink wires in the 4L60E Transmission Connector, the wire will go through the Harness and eventually to the Connectors on the Fender. You will need this wire to power the Reverse Lights, and the Reverse Lockout Connector.

Reverse Lights:
Run a wire through the Harness and eventually to the Reverse Light Connector for the T56. It will splice into the Wire that's green(non power wire) on the Connector. It will help to have a Tranny to measure the length..try to use my pic to judge it, it's got a brown Connector. I placed it about 6" down from the branch of wiring in the Harness that goes to the Tranny, made it about 12" in length. This will make your Reverse Lights work properly. You are going to have to find the Wire on the RX7 for the Reverse Lights on the Car and have it meet the one in the Harness.

Reverse Lockout:
Take the Reverse Lockout Connector and lay it next to the VSS Connector(the wiring is about the same length). Take the green wire(non-power wire) from the Connector and connect it to the one wire that you left in the Harness from when you stripped out all the Auto stuff(not the power wire, the one that I was referring to above to leave going to the PCM), and then take the other end that's at the PCM and put it to the Pin on the PCM Connectors is the Reverse Lockout, the LS1 F-body's is PCM RED #44. This will make the Reverse Lockout function like it's factory when the Car is tuned for it.

This should help.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by elias_799
why ? he wants to know if it will go it to his rx7 not his fbody.
bc innocent questions like this usually end with locks one way or another. it always seems to be a childish debate after a few posts.