New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

???doesnt the stock tach pick up rpm signal from the alternator???

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 05:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bad cluster maybe?
Old 12-31-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no...it appears to work if the gauges will sweep upon startup
Old 12-31-2008, 05:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by gectek
no...it appears to work if the gauges will sweep upon startup
i wish i could figure this out!
Old 12-31-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

what does the car do? it will crank but wont start? There are only a couple things that you need to run. Spark, fuel and air.

I would pull a plug first and see what it looks like. If it is wet with fuel, then you dont have spark.

You need a way to see if the coils are getting signal to fire. I dont know if you have any tools to do this with or not. If they arnt getting any signal, then you are probably looking at a cmp sensor. This will also cause you to have no fuel injector pulse.

Do you have fuel pressure? Crank the car over for a few seconds and then put a cup in front of the shrader valve and press it down. You will know if there is pressure.
When the tach stopped working was that the last time you drove the car?
Old 12-31-2008, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99345hp
what does the car do? it will crank but wont start? There are only a couple things that you need to run. Spark, fuel and air.

I would pull a plug first and see what it looks like. If it is wet with fuel, then you dont have spark.

You need a way to see if the coils are getting signal to fire. I dont know if you have any tools to do this with or not. If they arnt getting any signal, then you are probably looking at a cmp sensor. This will also cause you to have no fuel injector pulse.

Do you have fuel pressure? Crank the car over for a few seconds and then put a cup in front of the shrader valve and press it down. You will know if there is pressure.
When the tach stopped working was that the last time you drove the car?
car does run for a few seconds on starter fluid (know its not good to do that but wanted to see if im firing) rpm gauge doesnt move on that

no fuel is coming out of the lines when i try to prime it. dont even hear priming
Old 01-01-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

you need to check and make sure you are getting power to the fuel pump. If power is getting back there, but have no fuel pressure, then you have a bad fuel pump.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:10 PM
12 Second Club

you need to check and make sure you are getting power to the fuel pump. If power is getting back there, but have no fuel pressure, then you have a bad fuel pump.
yup, will do
Old 01-02-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what does the car do? it will crank but wont start? There are only a couple things that you need to run. Spark, fuel and air,compression, event timing. (to be more correct).
but this does not explain why he has no rpm at the tach. if he fixes the fuel pump, then thats great but he still needs to fix the underlying problem.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:45 PM
10 Second Club

do you have any SES codes?

i had a problem with my tach a while back after a camswap... i swapped in a dual timing chain with my new cam and i would not get any tach reading.

when turning the key, the tach needle would jump but just go back to 0. it would also be a bitch to start up, but it would still fire up and run just the tach didnt work. i had a code for the Cam position sensor stuck on high, i think it was a PO343

the problem ended up being with my timing chain, i swapped it out for an LS2 chain and the problem went away.

hope this helps!

Quick Reply: ???doesnt the stock tach pick up rpm signal from the alternator???