New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worried I am hurting my car. Am I?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 03:07 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worried I am hurting my car. Am I?

My friend and I were talking about the best shifting times for the BEST gas mileage and he says bigger engines should rev higher because they have longer gear ratios or something. I say since the engines are bigger, they can rev lower because of the extra power. Which is right? Also am I hurting my car at all if I pop it in 5th gear at 35 mph just to maintain speed? My rpm's are at about 1100 or 1200. I was never too worried about the engine part, but I just dont want to give all that power from the engine and hurt the drive train or transmission.

My girlfriends co worker said he shifts his ls1 once the rpms hit 1800. I tried doing that today and it doesnt feel like the engine is hurting, but is it?

Last thing. Many of you say you skip gears and go 1,3,5. What rpm would you guys shift at? When I would do that, as soon as it hits 2,000 rpms, I would go into the next gear (third) and then as soon as it goes to 2,000 again, ill shift into the next gear (fifth). Am I hurting my car at all?
Old 01-14-2009, 03:12 AM
Staging Lane

No thats stupid. Unless you feel like you're gonna stall your tranny or car bogging you arent hurting ****. I usually shift around 2 grand.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't want to lug it real low, you can hear that yourself, it's pretty easy to figure out. Shifting at 2k is fine too.

Also, your friend is wrong, the weaker powered engines operate at a higher rpm for the same speed when compared to a more powerful one generally speaking.

An example would be a 6 speed LS1 car vs a 5 speed cavalier. The 4 cyl will need to be revved higher on each shift to keep it from "bogging" vs the V8. Once on the highway in top gear, the 4 cyl will also be revving higher at the same mph.

This is all with stock gearing of course. With that said though, I bet at 75mph, my 4.30 geared WS6 is still turning less rpm than a 4 cyl at that speed.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you arent hurting anything... if you car is lugging horribly that isnt good...

for instance, dont drive in 6th gear at 30 mph... no reason for that...

if your transmission shakes and stuff when you go into gear and you have no power.. you shifted too earlier... the lowest rpm you can shift at without it doing that... is where you should be shifting...
Old 01-14-2009, 03:33 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
the lowest rpm you can shift at without it doing that... is where you should be shifting...
......for best fuel mileage, BUT..

..If you want the best acceleration, shift just before fuel cutoff, which is 6200 stock A shift-light is your friend
Old 01-14-2009, 03:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
......for best fuel mileage, BUT..

..If you want the best acceleration, shift just before fuel cutoff, which is 6200 stock A shift-light is your friend
hahhaa, true..
Old 01-14-2009, 03:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lemons12
you arent hurting anything... if you car is lugging horribly that isnt good...

for instance, dont drive in 6th gear at 30 mph... no reason for that...

if your transmission shakes and stuff when you go into gear and you have no power.. you shifted too earlier... the lowest rpm you can shift at without it doing that... is where you should be shifting...
what do you mean by when my transmission shakes when it goes into gear?
Old 01-14-2009, 03:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by guitarplayersteven
what do you mean by when my transmission shakes when it goes into gear?
it will do it when you lug it...

next time your driving... start accelerating and shift normally... when you get around 30mph shift into 6th gear... you will see what im saying..
Old 01-14-2009, 03:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Shift around 3000 man. Com'on. I shift around 4000 just driving around. That cant be good shifting that low.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Shift around 3000 man. Com'on. I shift around 4000 just driving around. That cant be good shifting that low.
You're crazy shifting at 4,000rpm's just doing regular driving. You're burning more gas than you should. I shift at 2,000rpm's.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't lug it. But, these engines get better mileage at lower rpms. That is why these cars came with "skip-shift" with a manual and a lockup converter in the auto.

But, that is not the rule with every engine. Engineers design each vehicle to get the best mileage at whatever they determine. They play with gear ratios, intake manifolds, heads, cams, etc. to get the mileage they are shooting for in each different vehicle. They also have to keep in mind what kind of service the vehicle will be seeing. An engine used in one vehicle may have a lot of different changes depending on what that vehicle's needs are.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

just shift at 2 grand and dont skip any gears or any of that bullshit. U will not notice any better fuel economy anyway... Dont shift too early cuz u gonna end up accelerating too slow and end up pissing everyone off....
I usually shift at 3 grand with a respectable 13 mpg fuel economy....

drive ls1 like it was meant to be driven, powershifting through all the gears
Old 01-14-2009, 04:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
You're crazy shifting at 4,000rpm's just doing regular driving. You're burning more gas than you should. I shift at 2,000rpm's.
Bullshit. I get 26 mpg, just like everyone else. And, why did you bold your reply? Did you think it was important or something?
Old 01-14-2009, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarplayersteven
My friend and I were talking about the best shifting times for the BEST gas mileage and he says bigger engines should rev higher because they have longer gear ratios or something. I say since the engines are bigger, they can rev lower because of the extra power. Which is right? Also am I hurting my car at all if I pop it in 5th gear at 35 mph just to maintain speed? My rpm's are at about 1100 or 1200. I was never too worried about the engine part, but I just dont want to give all that power from the engine and hurt the drive train or transmission.

My girlfriends co worker said he shifts his ls1 once the rpms hit 1800. I tried doing that today and it doesnt feel like the engine is hurting, but is it?

Last thing. Many of you say you skip gears and go 1,3,5. What rpm would you guys shift at? When I would do that, as soon as it hits 2,000 rpms, I would go into the next gear (third) and then as soon as it goes to 2,000 again, ill shift into the next gear (fifth). Am I hurting my car at all?
Didn't you already make a post like this? Shifting like that in no way shape or form hurts your engine, and is better for it than shifting at a higher RPM (less wear). And your friend is dumb if he thinks bigger engine shift higher, its the exact opposite of that.

Bullshit. I get 26 mpg, just like everyone else. And, why did you bold your reply? Did you think it was important or something?
LMFAO... You're doing it wrong, you need to bounce off the limiter before you shift every time.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There are people who monitor their enjector pulse width and say that in a low RPM like 1000-1200, in 5th gear. Fuel economy actually suffers. But if you are just maintaining speed it is not going to hurt the car.

Go wideband!
Old 01-14-2009, 07:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just do everything in 2nd gear.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

or buy an automatic and only have to shift once each time you drive

and then sell me your T56 for $5
Old 01-14-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KENS_SS_4
There are people who monitor their enjector pulse width and say that in a low RPM like 1000-1200, in 5th gear. Fuel economy actually suffers. But if you are just maintaining speed it is not going to hurt the car.

Go wideband!
I feel like either my O2's are messed up or something, but last summer i couldnt get my car over 18MPG. i usually do the 35mph 5th gear thing, maybe its hurting me... this is me driving like an old man. I feel like saying **** it and just rice out everwhere because my MPG would probly not change and i would have more fun.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Teching In

You'll snap off the landings inbetween the ring groves if you labour a motor too much for too long.

I worked for an engine builder and we had a few yonger fellas engines come in.
Mainly RB30's out of Holden VL commodores (old Skyline motor)

They drive around town in 5th gear at 50km/h (30mph) labouring them to make the exhaust rumble real low and the piston ring landings must vibrate too much and snap.
They stay in place and just float around

Best bet would be copy close to an auto's shifting points if your worried.
But in saying that, whats better than a rebuilt or new engine
Old 01-14-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dan Stewart
Don't lug it. But, these engines get better mileage at lower rpms. That is why these cars came with "skip-shift" with a manual and a lockup converter in the auto.
THese cars came with skip shift because it raised the fuel milliage a little which makes there overall corparate fuel economy look better. Have you seen the RPM the engine is at when the skip shift activates and you end up in 4th gear at 15 MPH? It's about 400-500 RPM. While cruising at 1100RPM in 5th won't hurt anything, trying to accelerate from that low a RPM in 4th gear isn't good. It's a good way to get detonation.

Drive it however you drive it. If the engine dosn't like it, it will tell you.

Re'