Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help choosing block

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 01:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help choosing block

I have been trying to figure out what to put in my car for a year now and am still going back and forth. I was trying to spend no more than like $4500 on a short block. I really want a max effort all motor street car with a budget. This is not a DD but I want it to be fairly reliable and be able to make a 500 mile trip a few times a year. It's a 2001 WS6 M6.

Even though I have heard the best stuff about them, the most popular site I know of for ordering short blocks is TSP. First I was looking at a 408 LQ9. The extra 80 lbs of the iron block didn't seem to be a big deal and this seemed the best block for the price.

Now I noticed that I could get the 407 LS3 for a decent price. The only problem is that I would not be able to add a power adder in the future if I wanted. (A small shot of nitrous would be nice at times)

I plan on nice heads such as AFRs or Trickflows.

This will run on 93. What CR can I run? I have heard people running over 12:1 on pump gas but it does not run very well.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've bought a 402 ls2 from them and got it as shipped for 3800 with arp 2001 rod bolds and nitrous rings.This was during their end of the year sale though. The only reason you would go to an iron block is either for price or if you plan on spraying over a 250 single stage shot. Call them for a price. Ask if you paid with a bank money order if they could save you a few bucks normally 2-3% since they don't have to be charged by the credit card company for the services. Then find a local trustworthy shop in town and ask the shop if it would be ok to have them ship it there. That will save you $30.00 in shipping alone. Plus if they have what you need in stock they may give you a price break as well. Since you live in NC you also wont have to pay taxes. Be a thrifty shopper and you could walk away with a nice motor. If you want to build on the cheap add some L92 heads and intake and your on your way.