New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 1300$ header job :S

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all very much for taking the time to help me out, i pulled the plugs and low and behold all 8 were BLACK, so i swapped in another set and the car runs like a dream i am extremely happy with the headers besides the banging but i will try some steel wool as i bent it (y pipe) down a little and it seems to have helped quite a bit. I do have other plans for the car which is why i didnt want to pay for a tune right now.
thanks again everyone, i will be more patient before running here and wasting your guys' time from now on.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the cause for tuning after longtube headers? Someone on here said they make it run rich? Is that it or what? Reason im asking is because i have a Diablo programmer and wondering if i can use the handheld to tune after headers.
thanks
Old 03-09-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fix the rattle with hose mod.
-Matt
Old 03-09-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I slid some heater hose in between the spots that rub and drilled self tapping screws to hold it in place. No more y-pipe or header noise.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

just be careful with what you wedge between the y and the floorboard. if you use something really hard it'll cause your header to support the engine when it flexes. i use steel wool because it minimizes the bumping but allows the engine to move semi-freely.

and i believe the reason it runs rich is because of how far down the o2 sensors move, could be wrong. you'll also want to get your rear o2's and EGR/AIR codes tuned out at the same time. plus you'll pick up an extra 5-10hp from them. a tune is a good idea if it's going to be a long time before you do anything else, if you can get a decent price.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn thats expensive!! Man, dont buy the efi live, get someone else to do it for you. If you deleted the AIR or the EGR MAKE SURE you dont have any vacuum leaks. I know if you do the AIR removal you will have one to button up, not sure about the EGR, never had it. Get your self like said above, a piece of heater hose to put in there to stop the rattling, I used a large screw type hose clamp to fix that. You need to get those rears deleted pronto if you havent or run sims for the time being.