New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wierd headlight problem;pontiac guys come on in!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nova5
I cannot think if any way a stripped gear could affect an electrical circuit in such a way as to allow lights to pop up when they arn't expected to. the two should be mutually exclusive.
no theres definitely a module that does it. with bad gears they always pop up with arm/disarm of the car. its really annoying/embarrassing.

Last edited by Flaring Afro; 03-15-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It still shouldn't happen. Its possible the stripped gear causes the module to become damaged through to much power flowing through it. logically it shouldn't happen but.. its GM. Electrical Gremlins are their forte.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I cannot think if any way a stripped gear could affect an electrical circuit in such a way as to allow lights to pop up when they arn't expected to. the two should be mutually exclusive.
not trying to flame but what you say is wrong do a search...."The headlights on the Trans Am/Formula/Firebird measures amperage (resistence) to know when the headlight is fully up and fully down (controlled by the BCM). When a plastic gear in the headlight motor gets stripped, the system keeps powering the motors and thats why you hear a jackhammer/grinding type noise coming from the headlight motor when you lock/unlock the doors or when you turn on/off the headlights or even your parking lights.""Danny2tek"
Below is the link to the great knowledge base https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...eadlights.html
Old 03-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nova5
popping up when the switch is put to the middle shows the gear is good enough to operate, its more a switch problem from what i see. It incorrectly supplies power to the wire controlling the motor relays, closing then and causing the headlights to rise.

Changing the gear will do nothing to alleviate a bad switch. It will fix the one headlights problem of grinding but do nothing to fix both rising on the middle switch position.

The great and all knowing nova5 has spoken. Let the world be torn asunder!
when the headlight goes up when the switch is in the middle position means that your headlight gear is fucked!!!! .......it does it on every car! It is not the switch....i repeate..... Its not the switch!!!!!! Its simply a warning.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Nova5 has a Camaro and if he has ever owned a T/A he has obviously never had the headlight gear go bad.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Popping up when the switch is put to the middle shows the gear is good enough to operate, its more a switch problem from what i see. It incorrectly supplies power to the wire controlling the motor relays, closing then and causing the headlights to rise.

Changing the gear will do nothing to alleviate a bad switch. It will fix the one headlights problem of grinding but do nothing to fix both rising on the middle switch position.

The great and all knowing Nova5 has spoken. Let the world be torn asunder!
For some reason I don't think you had a trans am and had a headlight motor go before. So why are you telling us, the people with trans ams who have had this exact issue before, that were wrong? Its the fricken motor, you never had the issue before, I HAVE along with many people.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

macool68, just listen to the other 10people on this thread saying its the motor and not what nova is saying. Just buy a new motor and it'll fix the issue. Well buy you a friggen pizza if were wrong even, because we know were not.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The Fire hawk I just bought has the same problem...I am going to get a motor because this is my first of this body style & it seems to be the popular problem. I will reply to this post as to if it fixes it because I have caught your reply back to it being fixed.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

I had it happen to both headlamp motors on my old V6, if one goes the other probably wont be to far behind. I still don't see how the OP was more concerned the lights popped up when he turned on the parking lights than when it emitted the grinding sound.

Big Chuk, is there a lug nut missing in your avatar?
Old 03-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Launching!

That fixed the problem with the "grinding" & the buckets coming up with the park lights
Unfortunately I bought the "new" motor from O'Reillys "20 miles away" because it was closest, spent about an hour or so putting it on in the rain, then after working them a few time to be sure it was all lined up right........
the motor froze up. To be continued....stay tuned for part 2. By the way the other side is now working properly.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DlXlE
I had it happen to both headlamp motors on my old V6, if one goes the other probably wont be to far behind. I still don't see how the OP was more concerned the lights popped up when he turned on the parking lights than when it emitted the grinding sound.

Big Chuk, is there a lug nut missing in your avatar?
No I need to get some new ones. It is pretty nasty, I just got the Hawk yesterday & the previous owner wasn't to kind to her. So I'm whipping it back into shape.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crzytown69
not trying to flame but what you say is wrong do a search...."The headlights on the Trans Am/Formula/Firebird measures amperage (resistence) to know when the headlight is fully up and fully down (controlled by the BCM). When a plastic gear in the headlight motor gets stripped, the system keeps powering the motors and thats why you hear a jackhammer/grinding type noise coming from the headlight motor when you lock/unlock the doors or when you turn on/off the headlights or even your parking lights.""Danny2tek"
Below is the link to the great knowledge base https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...eadlights.html
Interesting. so instead of a simple logic path of Lights off to Parking on its Lights Unknown to Parking on, causing the BCM to attempt to pull the lights down. abusing the whole system. brilliant move GM. ******* brilliant.

idiots. a child could have programmed the system better!
Old 03-15-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea no doubt lol if you ever look at the switch it has a little heat sink to keep it from getting to hot lol oh well i still love my gm junk
Old 03-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Launching!

Ok the final verdict...I got another motor from the parts store & YESSSSSSSS......everything is now working right.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:08 PM
Teching In

I am having the same problem except with a little twist. The twist is that the Driver's side parking light is on and the passenger parking light is off when the light switch is in the Off position. When I turn the switch 2 the Parking Light Position the headlights flip up and the Passenger side Parking light comes on. So I know it is not the bulb. Does anyone think this has something to do with the headlight motor ? Also jus noticed the passenger side of the 3rd brakelight is also out. ( Going to get a new bulb and check that out 2morrow.)
Old 03-16-2009, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

That sounds like wiring. Do you get the grinding sound? If not the motor itself is probably fine. Someone who is good with wiring should come along to help you.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:43 PM
Teching In

I am getting the grinding noise from the passenger side when the light flips down and when alarm is armed. So I was thinkn it was the headlight motor as discussed in this thread but I am not understanding the parking light.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

The grinding is the motor, the light has me stumped but I dont do wiring
Old 03-16-2009, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DlXlE
The grinding is the motor, the light has me stumped but I dont do wiring
Yeah me either. Called the Chevy dealership and they had no clue on the Grinding and tried to tell me to bring it in so they could look at it and charge me $70 jus 2 look at it. I told them the grinding was from a bad motor and they told me sounded like a Grounding issue. If anyone has any insight let me know. I am going to go ahead and get a new motor and change that out 1st.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:59 PM
Teching In

I found a helpfull video on changing the teflon gear out with a new brass gear. Wanted to share it with everyone for future refrence. If anyone else has a better one please post it. The link is below--

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headl...earinstall.wmv