New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adjust clutch pedal w/out swapping master?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default adjust clutch pedal w/out swapping master?

I just picked up my T/A this weekend and from my experience(short) on these cars, the clutch releases damn near at the top of the pedal vs. right off the floor. This is incredibly annoying to me. The clutch does not engage the flywheel until about 3 inches from the top of the pedal travel. On my mustang with a cable driven TOB, this was relatively easy to adjust, swap a firewall adjuster, clutch quadrant, and adjustable cable. Not all of those are needed, but to get it perfect, all is desired.

I want to have my clutch engage the flywheel as soon as I start to release off of the floor. Is there anyway to do this without an adjustable master cylinder? I have read some threads on this and according to those, most people swap back to the stock master. This is an 02 BTW.

I have heard from the engineer at the office that there are some shims that can be installed rather easily to adjust the pedal location? His son drives an 02 SS.

Ideas/Solutions?
Old 05-01-2009, 02:11 AM
On The Tree

nobody cares to chime in? D:
Old 05-01-2009, 02:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Where the clutch grabs depends on the particular clutch and the wear on it. You can't adjust it and spacing the master out to make the clutch grab closer to the floor will rob you of pedal travel and make probelms for the switches on the pedal. You could install a adjustable master cylinder of modify the pushrod to make it adjustable, but the amount you can change where the clutch grabs will be minimal at best. Your not going to be able to move the engagement point from where it is to where you want it to be.

Not to be a jerk, but either replace the clutch or live with it.

Re'
Old 05-01-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, it was solved about a month ago, I modified the stock master and moved the engagement point to where I wanted it(closer to the floor).

Quick Reply: adjust clutch pedal w/out swapping master?