New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What mods should I do first???

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003 | 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default What mods should I do first???

Hi, newbie here from Hawaii. I'm the 2nd owner of a stock '01 Camaro SS, A4, T-Tops, daily driver (240miles weekly). I was wondering if there were any people here familar with how Dealership Warranty/Extended Warranty (good now til May '07) works in regards to modding? Here's a list of things I want to do (funds ready), please let me know if you think it's a good idea, keeping in mind that I want to keep my warranty, btw I have very little mechanical skill, but this has been my dream car since High School:

Mods Wanted (which will void warranty?)

Super Sucker Ram Air Kit
Carbon Fiber MTI Air Lid
Green High Performance Air Filter
High Flow Bellows (Brand?)
High Performance Radiator (Brand?)
B&M Supercooler Transmission Cooler, 24000 GVW, 11" x 6" x 1-1/2"
85mm MAF (was thinking about SLP or the Z06)
Finish Line Performance Header Package
GMMG Chambered Cat-back Exhaust
Custom Stainless Steel Z28 Tips
BMR Subframe Connectors, Tubular
BMR Strut Tower Brace
BMR Drive Shaft Safety Loop
160 degree Thermostat (Brand?)
Manual Fan Switch (Brand?)
Thunder Racing Ported Mass Air Meter Ends
ARP Harmonic Balancer Bolt Kit
ASP Harmonic Crank Pulley, SFI 18.1 Approved, 1998-2002 LS1 F-body
ASP Overdrive Alternator Pulley
Accessory Belt for ASP Crank & ASP Overdrive Alternator Pulleys
Chrome Corvette ZR1 17x9.5 rims/Goodyear F1 Tires
LS1 Edit

What do you think? I'm sure some of these will void, opinions? Please help, I really want to learn.

Last edited by FenixSS; 10-28-2003 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-26-2003 | 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

I personally think you should call your dealership that you are going to be taking the car to, and ask them. It would be the most clear cut, direct no BS answer you'll get.

I would presume headers would void, as well as the thermostat, LS1edit, the harmonic balancers, underdrive pulleys. SFC's might void.

Very nice list of mods, that will be fun. Mechanical skillz are best gained via means of blood sweat and tears. Expect skinned knuckles

I think you should also look into a Torque Converter, TCI makes a very good one. That is possibly one of the most valuable mods possible on an A4. You'll already have the cooler there, just get a TransGo shift kit while you're at it.

The MAF/Ported MAF ends are not such a great idea on an A4, for a couple reasons. They tend to lean out your car, which if you're running ls1edit for you won't be much of an issue. It also is involved with how/when your transmission shifts, via line pressure. When you change the dimensions or the MAF thats sendin the numbers to the PCM, you can get some real funny numbers. Descreen the MAF(just rip the mesh screen out of your stock MAF) and call it a day. That will increase the airflow without messin with the dimensions or electronics.

Hope this helps you out a little. Welcome to the board, enjoy the learning process.
Old 10-26-2003 | 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

You want a big gain with an A4, the very first mod you should do is defiantly a good converter, I got a TCI 3500 and its great, you should def look into it. If you can get traction you can pick up damn near .6 of a second. Regarding the dealership thing, talk to your dealer, some dealers are more mod friendly than others. Just remember if something goes wrong and they do decide to void your warranty, they have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the malfunction. Good Luck man

WeS
Old 10-27-2003 | 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
I personally think you should call your dealership that you are going to be taking the car to, and ask them. It would be the most clear cut, direct no BS answer you'll get.

I would presume headers would void, as well as the thermostat, LS1edit, the harmonic balancers, underdrive pulleys. SFC's might void.

Very nice list of mods, that will be fun. Mechanical skillz are best gained via means of blood sweat and tears. Expect skinned knuckles

I think you should also look into a Torque Converter, TCI makes a very good one. That is possibly one of the most valuable mods possible on an A4. You'll already have the cooler there, just get a TransGo shift kit while you're at it.

The MAF/Ported MAF ends are not such a great idea on an A4, for a couple reasons. They tend to lean out your car, which if you're running ls1edit for you won't be much of an issue. It also is involved with how/when your transmission shifts, via line pressure. When you change the dimensions or the MAF thats sendin the numbers to the PCM, you can get some real funny numbers. Descreen the MAF(just rip the mesh screen out of your stock MAF) and call it a day. That will increase the airflow without messin with the dimensions or electronics.

Hope this helps you out a little. Welcome to the board, enjoy the learning process.

What's a TransGo Shift kit? BTW, can't the LS1 Edit change things like: shift points, rev, idle, cooling fans, richen/lean fuel, etc?
Old 10-27-2003 | 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onebadz
You want a big gain with an A4, the very first mod you should do is defiantly a good converter, I got a TCI 3500 and its great, you should def look into it. If you can get traction you can pick up damn near .6 of a second. Regarding the dealership thing, talk to your dealer, some dealers are more mod friendly than others. Just remember if something goes wrong and they do decide to void your warranty, they have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the malfunction. Good Luck man

WeS

Know where I can find one for a REAL GOOD price?
Old 10-27-2003 | 01:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would do a lid first, then maybe a catback exhaust, then some headers, I went to my dealership with all of this, but I haven't been back there since I started adding the things in my sig...

Just make sure you run Cats...
Old 10-27-2003 | 05:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Fenix, a transgo shift kit is an alteration to your transmission, its a decently complex install from what I've heard. Nothing a weekend wrencher with some patience should have a problem with IMO. It alters some of the internals of your transmission, to change how the fluid flows, which is basically how your transmission shifts. Its not an electronic mod, its a physical alteration, so its a bit more inflexible. Can't just change it in a heartbeat by whippin out your diablo lol. For more information do a search in the automatic transmission section, should yield some great info.

And for a good price, check the used parts section, I've seen quite a few in there. And as the Colonel posted, you should be able to find them ~$450-$500 brand new from some of the sponsers. Good luck bro!
Old 10-27-2003 | 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Fenixss,
The transgo can be a MF to install. I've been hearing good things about TCI's shift kit. The TCI is cheaper and ALOT easier to install. From those "intheknow" every bit as good as the transgo. I had a transgo shift kit in my 94 vette. I plan on putting a TCI TC and shift kit in my 99Z. The Colonel has had good results with TCI(11.82 all bolton A4 Z28 TCI3500 w/TCI shift kit).

Last edited by gymratt; 10-27-2003 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-27-2003 | 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys, if you've got more suggestions, I'd appreciate it.
Old 10-27-2003 | 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah a stall is definitely the best mod for an A4 car. I've got a Vig 3600 I'm about to install. I run 8.5s in the 1/8 with just a lid and street tires. I'm sure with the stall and some traction I could pickup a solid .5 off my time but a stall will void your warranty though.
Old 10-28-2003 | 06:00 AM
11 Second Club

I also have extended warranty.I talked to the dealrship and asked if changing the headers would void my warrenty.He said yes.But only the exhaust warranty.I didnt ask him about the cats.Cause i didnt want to be shady.But i think it wouldnt matter cause the exhaust warranty is voided.Basic Bolt ons wont void your warranty.DID U GET YOUR CAR FROM J&N OR SOMTHING?
Old 10-28-2003 | 06:02 AM
11 Second Club

I meant basic bolt ons would void your warranty.But only for part u bolt on.But it shouldnt bother your entire warranty
Old 10-28-2003 | 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 9833211
I meant basic bolt ons would void your warranty.But only for part u bolt on.But it shouldnt bother your entire warranty
Yes, from JN Chevrolet by the airport. Same place as that Slash It sale with Madman Dan, No, I didn't get the car that way Just good old fashion haggling, although they did bend to my will,heh heh.

Got the extended warranty from Jason Hatori, young guy. Anyway, that's the same thing he told me, whatever I put on, it voids just that thing. But with Headers, he said that voids the engine part of the warranty, not the exhaust.
The exhaust is when I put on an aftermarket, my GMMG Chambered Cat-back is comming in about a week. The engine is what I'm worried about, but I'd really like to put on these FLP Headers.

Jason suggested I give him a list of things and he'll ya or nay it OR just show him the car after it's done and he'll see what he can do. What do you think?
Old 10-28-2003 | 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, I missed this part. Um, doesn't the LS1 Edit allow for me to change things like richen/lean fuel, cooling fans on sooner, shift points, rpms, etc etc?
What is does descreening the stock MAF do versus getting a larger MAF, and then maybe descreening that one anyway.
On the parts that have "brand?" listed next to them, what would you guys suggest?
Is there anything on the list you think I don't need?

Mahalos for all your input thus far, I'm learning
Old 10-29-2003 | 06:17 AM
11 Second Club

Jason suggested I give him a list of things and he'll ya or nay it OR just show him the car after it's done and he'll see what he can do. What do you think?[/QUOTE]

Dont show him anyting.Have your warranty Transferd to a mechanic you know.
Old 10-29-2003 | 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Transferred to a mechanic? I don't understand, sorry, could you explain?
Old 10-30-2003 | 01:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FenixSS
Transferred to a mechanic? I don't understand, sorry, could you explain?

DO you have your extended warrantey at the JN were jason Hatoris is at? YouDont have to have your extended warranty there.You can have it transfered to a mechanic of your choice.
Also i wouldnt show him anything.He is happy when he voids a warranty.He gets a bonus
Old 10-30-2003 | 02:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

SOB!!! Ok, whew, good thing I didn't do nothing with hime yet. So how do I get my extended warranty transerred to a mechanic of my choice? Would it be wrong to want one of the guys at the dealership, the guy who knows my car inside and out is Trevor. I do know of a couple of guys at my old job. I used to work for Honda Windward Autobody Shop, don't worry, it's just owned by Honda Windward. Insurance claims mostly: everything from cavaliers, civics, neons, camrys, to Hummers, Corvettes, Benz, and even the bosses' Ferrari and Lambo.
Anyway, how do I get my extended warranty transferred to those guys. The original waranty expires May '04. The extended starts May '04 to May '07.
Old 11-01-2003 | 04:03 AM
11 Second Club

Talk to jason hatori and tell him were you want your extended warranty to be at.Also let me know about your warranty and mods.
Old 11-01-2003 | 05:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 9833211
Talk to jason hatori and tell him were you want your extended warranty to be at.Also let me know about your warranty and mods.
I tell him where I want it? Um, can you suggest a good place to go? The only techs I trust are Trevor at JN Chev, and the guys I used to work at Honda Windward Autobody Shop (only owned by Honda Windward, but those guys know all their cars: cheapies, sport, luxury, and exotic). My extended warranty is exactly the same as factory warranty (or so it was explained to me by Jason Hatori). It covers everything bumper to bumper, original expires 36k/May'04 and extended is 72k/May'07 whichever happens first.

I think I've mentioned it before, '01 NBM Camaro SS, A4, T-Tops, grey cloth. My mod list changes from week to week, but for right now I've got:

160-Degree Thermostat
Ported MAF Housing Ends, Black
Carbon Fiber-Style Induction Lid
ZO6 MAF Sensor
Smooth Bellows
Manual Fan Control Switch
Throttle Body Water Bypass Kit
K&N Air Filter (installed but switching)
Green High Performance Air Filter
Super Sucker Ram Air Kit
High Performance Radiator
Subframe Connectors, Tubular
Strut Tower Brace
Drive Shaft Safety Loop
Finish Line Performance Header Package
B&M Supercooler Transmission Cooler, 24000 GVW, 11" x 6" x 1-1/2"
GMMG Chambered Cat-back Exhaust (installed)
ASP Harmonic Crank Pulley with bolt and belts
ASP Underdrive/Overdrive Alternator Pulley (haven't decided)
LS1 Edit
Mobil1 Oil Cap (installed)
Mobil1 Engine Label (installed)
GM Power Antenna
Chrome Fender Flares
Aluminum Diamond Cut Door Sills (installed)
Aluminum Diamond Cut Floor Mats (installed)
Camaro Mud Flaps (installed)
Real Carbon Fiber Interior Trim/Bezels
Black Leather Interior (from a '02 SS)
Chrome SS emblems
SS Grill, black with silver trim
Chrome Tint (35%) (installed)
Chrome Camaro Rear Inserts (installed)
Chrome Camaro SS Windshield Lettering (installed)
Clear Turn Signal Lenses
Clear Side Markers (installed)
Carbon Fiber Altezza Tail Lights (installed)
Purple Light Bulbs (installed)
Chrome SS 5 or 10-spoke 17x9 wheels with SS caps and F1 Tires
Custom Stainless Steel Z28 Tips
Laptop Desk (for laptop, ls1 edit, GPS, MP3 Files )
White Face Tach Gauges
Manta/Intimidator Vinyl Decal Kit

Lend me your opinions on Brands for some of these, once again, thank you for your help and feedback.