Sponsored by:

My first camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thumbs up Nice car man

Originally Posted by raysadude
haha i've heard that alot but never actually believed it..

o well, still need advice on place to buy parts, any suggestions would be appreciated
Congrats on your American Muscle! Gotta love that plastic dont ya? For my stock part needs i use rockauto.com. They have very fast shipping and i have never had a problem with them. Hope this helps.
Chris
Old 04-16-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=raysadude;11443102]duh i've already ordered a pacesetter LT, is off road headers any difference from it?

oh ya, is putting an ORY mean take off both cats? if yes is that going to trigger the check engine light on?

ls6 is next on my mod list, along with lid, i've checked SLP but $100 for a lid is a waste of money IMO, i'll find cheaper one

and thanks conan for the advice, i look at your sig and that's the hp/torque i'm aiming in about a year lol

oh ya forgot to mention the car came with few mods:

Home made FTRA, Jantzer ported TB, TB bypass, flowmaster muffler

Nice car man.. Congrats .. But you know those flowmasters dont flow good at all on our cars and restricts hp. Everybody calls it the chokemaster lol
Old 04-16-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=demarco313;11443510]
duh i've already ordered a pacesetter LT, is off road headers any difference from it?

oh ya, is putting an ORY mean take off both cats? if yes is that going to trigger the check engine light on?

ls6 is next on my mod list, along with lid, i've checked SLP but $100 for a lid is a waste of money IMO, i'll find cheaper one

and thanks conan for the advice, i look at your sig and that's the hp/torque i'm aiming in about a year lol

Nice car man.. Congrats .. But you know those flowmasters dont flow good at all on our cars and restricts hp. Everybody calls it the chokemaster lol
thank you!

hehe yeah i've heard a lot about flowmaster, i'll change it eventually but for now, i think i just stick with it no $$ yet for muffler

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
Nice SS !

Just keep a look out in the classifieds and find a used lid for half the price...ive even seen them at junk yards in wrecked cars, if you have one near you might be worth while to check them out as well.

Headers are a good start. The off road y-pipe DOES delete the cats, but makes the car sound more "raspy" per se. Not sure if it sets an SES light or not.

Congrats on the American sports car! Now go tighten the screws on the interior plastic, or get better speakers !
well, i'm so used to BMW's interior, that's why i said the plastic interior's driving me nuts, it's not too bad though, i'll get used to it after a while

if ORY deletes the pipe that means better flow with the ORY right?
yeah i'm going to go to the junkyard this weekend, need to buy a spare tire and a jack for the car.

Originally Posted by 4DSPNKR
Congrats on your American Muscle! Gotta love that plastic dont ya? For my stock part needs i use rockauto.com. They have very fast shipping and i have never had a problem with them. Hope this helps.
Chris
i really enjoy driving her everyday, not as smooth as japanese or german cars but the rumble from the muffler and the V8 sound screaming on WOT is my ecstasy

thanks man! really appreciate the info

Anyone from Oklahoma???
Old 04-16-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

duh i've already ordered a pacesetter LT, is off road headers any difference from it?

dunno if the FTRA is any good
There are headers with emissions and with out, you want them with out. You can tune out the rear o2's, egr, and air pump so no more ses light. The ftra is a nice addition to the induction system. When you have some more $$$ check out the hooker or magnaflow cat backs.

Side note... Just put my dual fuel pumps in this week end hoping for a retune in a month, to break my 600hp goal.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

nice start off with mods. great looking SS. let the modding begin.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1Tuner_06
nice start off with mods. great looking SS. let the modding begin.
thanks!

Originally Posted by conan
There are headers with emissions and with out, you want them with out. You can tune out the rear o2's, egr, and air pump so no more ses light. The ftra is a nice addition to the induction system. When you have some more $$$ check out the hooker or magnaflow cat backs.

Side note... Just put my dual fuel pumps in this week end hoping for a retune in a month, to break my 600hp goal.
mm newb question, how to differentiate between the two? is the pacesetter that i bought with emission? coz whenever i bought it, they didn't say anything whether it's with emission or without

oh ya, i bought the pacesetter lt with EGR and AIR, because i've read that my car 98 camaro has EGR and AIR am i on the right track?

damn 600 hp that'd be awesome man..is your car streetable?
Old 04-17-2009, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

The headers you bought are the emission ones. The ones for off road use (racing) don't have the "AIR" ports on them. You'll be alright though. You can buy blockoff plates that bolt on where the air pipes normally go.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks!

mm newb question, how to differentiate between the two? is the pacesetter that i bought with emission? coz whenever i bought it, they didn't say anything whether it's with emission or without

oh ya, i bought the pacesetter lt with EGR and AIR, because i've read that my car 98 camaro has EGR and AIR am i on the right track?

damn 600 hp that'd be awesome man..is your car streetable?
If you want to get rid of the emission controls call them back and switch your order. Or you get block off plates for the heads. If you plan to keep egr and air your fine. My car is a street car might see the track a few times at best.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

do 4.10s in the rear....
Old 04-20-2009, 12:37 AM
TECH Resident

google gmpartsdirect. but shipping is expensive.

google sam taylor buick. it's a dealer, you have to call in your order, but shipping is cheap and prices are cheap.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:11 AM
12 Second Club

Congrats on the purchase! Wait til you get that full exhaust on there...it'll feel like a whole new animal.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thank you again! header will be put on the car next week, i went to the track again today, could only manage 14.0@105...sigh, o well i guess twice is not enough

as for the 4.10 i don't think i want to it since with the factory 3.42 i barely got traction with street tires, 4.10 would be impossible to launch the car at my track
Old 04-20-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

how were your 60ft times? and your take off? if you are spinning quite a bit that will definitely turn down your ET. get your launch down and do your best to shift as quickly and clean as possible I'll bet you can get down to a 13.7 or maybe quicker just depending. first time I went to the track with my z28 that's what I first pulled stock. after getting the launch down (a little better) is when I finally pulled a 13.7@104. My 60ft's were in the 2.2-2.3 range. That SS of your is stunning. glad you are taking a liking to the F body!
Old 04-20-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my 60 ft was 2.4, which was better than my first time which was 2.5

i wanted to try slicks but decided not to since i'm not ready to pay for the 9"

i really should go to the track on day instead of night time, which is obviously colder, the guy at the pit told me not to do burn out because i was using street tires

so are you saying that .2 secs difference in 60ft time can result the ET to drop from 14.5 to 13.7?

oh ya i got another thing to gripe on now...cruise control in this car is a joke...it stopped working after i got back to oklahoma lol
Old 04-20-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i really should go to the track on day instead of night time, which is obviously colder, the guy at the pit told me not to do burn out because i was using street tires

so are you saying that .2 secs difference in 60ft time can result the ET to drop from 14.5 to 13.7?

oh ya i got another thing to gripe on now...cruise control in this car is a joke...it stopped working after i got back to oklahoma lol
.2 on your 60' CAN mean as much as .4 off your ET as a general rule around this power level.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=demarco313;11443510]

depends which flowmaster it is.

the single inlet single outlet ones are pretty good i think the only bad ones are the ones made for fbodys and the 80 series ones

to the op nice car and congrats
Old 04-20-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No you dont want to do a full burnout on street tires. I would do a small short one though. I have gotten better launches doing this than not at all. Dont go through the waterbox, just do a quick 2 second spin, you will hook better. Shoot for 2.0-2.1s. Takes some practice though. You can do way better than 2.4s on street tires. I run Nitto DRs, not the best but I cut consistent 1.9s at the track doing 3500-4000 rpm launches. You should be pretty safe launching there, wouldnt go any higher with the 10 bolt. I also got a line lock for burnouts, you need it unless youre good at side stepping the clutch. Get a line lock & some DRs. You"ll love it Congrats on your new car, it looks like youre gonna have a lot of fun with it.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey all,

After a long and arduous search i finally found what i've been looking for in a performance car, always been a bimmer guy all my life..never thought of buying an american cars before, but here i am..fall in love with my first camaro

Took the car in florida last week from one of the member in this fine forum, drove it back to oklahoma, that was the funnest trip i've ever had, took her to 155(maybe more i buried the speedo so i don't know exactly what was the exact speed) on the 3 lanes hwy from atlanta to birmingham like it was nothing. she's really loud and all the cheap plastic interiors drive me nuts, but whenever i hit the skinny pedal on the right, the smile comes right back onto my face

now my housemates in his 350z suddenly shut his mouth and stop asking me to race again(whenever i had my BMW 540 he always egged me to race him)

i'm still blind about camaro, so i'm looking forward to learn from this forum.

any comments, suggestions would be appreciated

here's several pictures of her, don't mind the shitty blackberry camera pic

Sorry for the long thread i just need to share my joy with fellow ls1 owners! it's been a long time since a car put a smile on my face everytime i get on it.

Ray
Nice car, but it will look a lot nicer if you get rid of the black plastic grill. You can just pull on it to remove it. An SLP SS grill or billet grill would look sweet, but if there are no rub marks from the factory grill, it will still look waay better if you got rid of it.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Look up "Mod Mistakes" in search. Read the yellow stickies at the top of the pages. Take note of other's mods and what they gained by doing them.

If you're thinking of doing something, chances are someone on here has done it and can give you an idea of wether it's a good idea or not.

Have fun, enjoy the car, and realize that a nitrous kit, cam, tune, etc will probably be on your shopping list.

Welcome!
Old 04-21-2009, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JosephIV
Look up "Mod Mistakes" in search. Read the yellow stickies at the top of the pages. Take note of other's mods and what they gained by doing them.

If you're thinking of doing something, chances are someone on here has done it and can give you an idea of wether it's a good idea or not.

Have fun, enjoy the car, and realize that a nitrous kit, cam, tune, etc will probably be on your shopping list.

Welcome!
hm never thought about using nitrous, but who knows lol

i've read the mod mistakes and the "what is your favorite mods" in the sticky and learned alot. i don't want to go crazy on this car yet, just installed the pacesetter LT, that's on my fave mod list since that's the only mod i have lol, what a difference headers make lol

i'm thinking about going ORY and full exhaust but i'll have to wait after i have the car checked thoroughly(spend the $$ on the maintenance rather on mods)

[QUOTE=bobbyd;11466041]
Originally Posted by demarco313

depends which flowmaster it is.

the single inlet single outlet ones are pretty good i think the only bad ones are the ones made for fbodys and the 80 series ones

to the op nice car and congrats

thank you, mine is flowmaster 80 with dual dumps(not tips) i don't think i gain anything(if any) from it

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
No you dont want to do a full burnout on street tires. I would do a small short one though. I have gotten better launches doing this than not at all. Dont go through the waterbox, just do a quick 2 second spin, you will hook better. Shoot for 2.0-2.1s. Takes some practice though. You can do way better than 2.4s on street tires. I run Nitto DRs, not the best but I cut consistent 1.9s at the track doing 3500-4000 rpm launches. You should be pretty safe launching there, wouldnt go any higher with the 10 bolt. I also got a line lock for burnouts, you need it unless youre good at side stepping the clutch. Get a line lock & some DRs. You"ll love it Congrats on your new car, it looks like youre gonna have a lot of fun with it.

the guy at the pit told me to go around the waterbox for a while but strictly remind not to do burn out

there's no way on earth i could launch on 3500-4000 i'd spin the tires till the 1/4th mile lol

i'm shooting for 2.2/2.1 60ft now, what is actually make the 10 bold broken? higher rpm launching?

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
Nice car, but it will look a lot nicer if you get rid of the black plastic grill. You can just pull on it to remove it. An SLP SS grill or billet grill would look sweet, but if there are no rub marks from the factory grill, it will still look waay better if you got rid of it.
yea i'm probably gonna buy that later on, i'm focusing on power mods and maintenance as of now.