New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drifting A4 WS6, what problems??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009 | 03:59 PM
12 Second Club

Damn you F&F Tokyo Drift.... DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2009 | 04:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by fccs
Road racing IS NOT DRIFTING. If fbodys were designed to be easy drift cars, they weigh 2000lbs and have all high end power not low end torque. Can we do it, yes, we have lsd rwd with plenty of power. Is it made to do it, no, we have wide tires that are meant to hook the road not slide around it with 195s on our rear, not to mention the weight compared to the import drift cars.
the tires for drifting are pretty wide, the viper drift car has 285's on the back
Old 04-23-2009 | 04:38 PM

Well to prevent the "up-shifting", just pull the shifter into "2" or "3" depending on the speed. For learning, it's preferable to keep it 2nd and go around 40 miles, and prevent that upshift from happening.
Old 04-23-2009 | 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
the tires for drifting are pretty wide, the viper drift car has 285's on the back
Considering the viper comes stock with at least 335s I would say thats pretty small for a viper.. lol, a modded drift viper to be that.
Old 04-23-2009 | 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I read an article about Rod MIllen's GTO drift car a few year back. They do all kinds of suspension tweaks, by changing the swaybars and spring rates, IIRC, they get the front to stick better and the rear to handle looser. Also, they modify the rack and steering knuckles to allow quicker steering and more steering angle.

I think if set up properly, a F-Body could make a great drift car.
Old 04-23-2009 | 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Road racing IS NOT DRIFTING. If fbodys were designed to be easy drift cars, they weigh 2000lbs and have all high end power not low end torque. Can we do it, yes, we have lsd rwd with plenty of power. Is it made to do it, no, we have wide tires that are meant to hook the road not slide around it with 195s on our rear, not to mention the weight compared to the import drift cars.
where in my post did I say road racing is drifting? All I did was say you were wrong saying the f-body is made to drag race.
Old 04-23-2009 | 06:35 PM
TECH Veteran

i would love to see a trans am drift car. maybe with an LS7 swap
Old 04-23-2009 | 06:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99345hp
where in my post did I say road racing is drifting? All I did was say you were wrong saying the f-body is made to drag race.
Ok well I wasn't talking about road racing, this post is about drifting, the cars are alright for road racing but specialize in drag racing, so whats your point with drifting?
Old 04-23-2009 | 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

My comment about road racing was in reply to you saying they were made to drag race. The original camaros were made to roadrace, not drag.
Old 04-23-2009 | 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Arent those cars mentioned usually modded before they go drifting? I mean sure I know theres the viper and the gto that are out there, but I didn't think theyre stock when theyre doing that? Either way I don't think these cars are great drift cars but I would like to try it, just don't expect what I can do with a 240 the same way.
Not any more modded than the "lightweight" cars. ALL cars in the D1 series have some serious suspension mods.

OP heres another vid with Fbodies drifting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6bLr...elated&search=
Old 04-23-2009 | 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

all these mods you guys are talking about generally only pertain to D1 cars. The main focus here should be street-driftable cars. D1 car to street car is like comparing F1 car to a street car. All you need to drift is rear wheel drive, and a manual tranny. Steering angle doesnt matter becuase you steer with the throttle. A manual is required when you start getting good becuase you steer with the throttle. When you break loose, too much throttle and you spin out. Too little and you will more or less straighten out. So it comes down to increasing, decreasing, and holding your throttle feed. In an automatic, any of these will make it want to shift. Its doable but save yourself the trouble and get a manual.

In a drift car, weight doesnt matter. Steering doesnt matter. Power doesnt even matter. One of the most popular drift cars is the 84-86 corolla which has barely 100 horsepower and still weighs almost 3000 pounds. The reason 240s and corollas etc are so popular is becuase of weight or steering angle, its becuase they are rwd, and cheap! And even better, parts are plentiful and cheap. Youll see weekenders and amatures with these cars becyase theyre still learning and can replace almost anything instantly when they hit a wall. In D1 there are all kinds of sponsers the only reason they use nicer cars is becuase they are given to them for free for the sake of the companies image. Rys uses solstices and gtos becuase thats what pontiac sends him. The viper was used becuase it was what was sent, now they have the charger. All of these people are competing for big money is why they start getting all technical and foing all the crazy suspension and weight savings and big turbos but you know what? There are still corallas making under 250hp competing in the japanese D1 and beating 1000+hp skylines and supras. So it goes to show its all about skill.
Old 04-23-2009 | 08:45 PM
Launching!

to start i would recommend some hard 225 wide tires, a manual valve body shift kit in the tranny, and a big tranny cooler. then practice, alot! find people with similar cars to yours and find out what they have done to improve the predictability of how it handles, how to get it to rotate and recover easiest.
Old 04-23-2009 | 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

I say go for it! It's your car!

Quick Reply: Drifting A4 WS6, what problems??