New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I shouldn't have made it sound like the y-pipe will be banging the floor as a certain thing but it's definitely a good idea to swap in some new poly mounts while you have the headers off. You don't want to get it all installed and then find out you need new motor mounts. The OP was planning on getting mounts anyway. They are only about 60 bucks for the parts but the labor to replace them later AFTER the install is several times that amount...
Old 05-16-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you don't have money for new o2's you can just lengthen the wires on your original ones so they will reach
I've heard bad things about doing that. Better to get someone with HpTuners to delete them from the PCM and just remove and plug.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by squalor
I've heard bad things about doing that. Better to get someone with HpTuners to delete them from the PCM and just remove and plug.
He's talking about the front ones. And although you can delete them using HPTuners, most probably shouldn't.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do not try to lengthen the wires on the front o2 sensors yourself unless you know EXACTLY what your doing. If the job is not done properly then it will not send the right signal back to the PCM. Which could make your car run super rich or very dangerously lean. Most likely lean because there would be more resistance on the wires. I tried it but never installed the o2's for that reason. I checked them with a ohm meter to see if the lengthened one would match an OEM one. Couldn't get it to read identical to an OEM plug, so bad idea in my opinion.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as your bolts for the headers it really depends on what your old ones look like and how they come out of the heads. The stage 8 lockers are about 38 dollars. If it where me I would go ahead and replace them just to ensure no headaches once you get cracking on the install but every one has there own method to the madness. Whatever you do though DO NOT OVER TORQUE THEM!!! If you do then you are a prime candidate for FML.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FireChickenws6
As far as your bolts for the headers it really depends on what your old ones look like and how they come out of the heads. The stage 8 lockers are about 38 dollars. If it where me I would go ahead and replace them just to ensure no headaches once you get cracking on the install but every one has there own method to the madness. Whatever you do though DO NOT OVER TORQUE THEM!!! If you do then you are a prime candidate for FML.
+1 to that. I snapped a bolt on my install. It broke flush in the process and tried everything to get it out. Well, since I had to take the head off to get it out I picked up a set of PRC heads since they where off. If the bolts look crappy don't reuse them.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

glad i used the stage 8 bolts.now i no i dont need to retourque bolts, ever,, of course i havnt tried to get one out for anything, whats the trick