New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

about to trade my stock dd z28 for a race car 490whp trans am...good idea or bad idea

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 01:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm assuming flywheel HP as well, no way does that car make over 420RWHP. I'd do it, I've had 3 T/A's, the first 2 heads and cam and daily drivers, one made 400RWHP, the other made 440RWHP. They are just fine as a daily, under part throttle and at daily driving RPM's they BARELY make more power than they do stock, when you get into WOT and higher RPM's is where the power gains are, not what you see daily driving.

Originally Posted by 406malibu
that would mean he's putting down 416 if you assume 15% loss, or 392 if you assume 20%. much more likely. engine numbers are
Thats why manufacturers rate their vehicles at the flywheel? To regular Joe, engine numbers are what they think when they hear a HP figure.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
I'm assuming flywheel HP as well, no way does that car make over 420RWHP. I'd do it, I've had 3 T/A's, the first 2 heads and cam and daily drivers, one made 400RWHP, the other made 440RWHP. They are just fine as a daily, under part throttle and at daily driving RPM's they BARELY make more power than they do stock, when you get into WOT and higher RPM's is where the power gains are, not what you see daily driving.

Thats why manufacturers rate their vehicles at the flywheel? To regular Joe, engine numbers are what they think when they hear a HP figure.
we're not talking manufacturers numbers, we are talking aftermarket numbers, meaning its been on the dyno. saying anything other than RWHP is absolutely retarded unless it was done on an engine dyno, otherwise its just an approximation. Its just a way to inflate your numbers and make your car sound faster than what it is. Just my opinion.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, 490 might be close to the fwhp but NO WAY it makes that to the wheels. Regardless, I wouldn't make that switch unless you were able to buy another daily driver. I know for a fact that big cam autos suck in city traffic. MPG is greatly reduced, bucking and surging issues, extra risks for being pulled over by cops for loud exhaust, ect.

Also I would be very skeptical of this guys car. Why is he trading a car he put so much time and money into for a stock car? Most people go forward in mods, not backwards. It's possible he knows of expensive issues that he wants to pass onto another.

I would pass on this.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by teke184
490rwhp....ported heads and ms3 cam....thru and auto...

anyone else think that's a bit of a stretch?
unless its a 383 or something.
yea I call b/s on that one too
Old 05-26-2009, 06:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Originally Posted by darrensls1
Also I would be very skeptical of this guys car. Why is he trading a car he put so much time and money into for a stock car? Most people go forward in mods, not backwards. It's possible he knows of expensive issues that he wants to pass onto another.

I agree. There's GOT to be a reason why he wants to get back into a stock car, and I'm sure it's not just for the challenge of building one up again. Either the car has issues, or he's somehow lost his DD and he's not willing to DD this Trans Am. But if it's not good enough for him to DD, will it be good enough for you?

I guess the deal might be good if both of your cars have some hidden issues.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darrensls1
Yeah, 490 might be close to the fwhp but NO WAY it makes that to the wheels. Regardless, I wouldn't make that switch unless you were able to buy another daily driver. I know for a fact that big cam autos suck in city traffic. MPG is greatly reduced, bucking and surging issues, extra risks for being pulled over by cops for loud exhaust, ect.

I would pass on this.
1.If its bucking, its the tune.Fuel trims are not correct.I have seen this.
2.MPG does decrease in town traffic,but my car got 17mpg on the highway.Now he didnt say about highway or town driving,so not sure there.
3.Loud exhaust problem? YES, but I have a factory SLP muff and it keeps it somewhat quiet.No where near as loud as dumps.
4.I have the same cam and auto with only a 2500 stall and 3.23 gears and I have no problems.Except for the y-pipe bang until I fixed it.

I do agree with most, PASS! Do the work yourself unless you helped build that car.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:07 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I love it when someone posts a question and is never heard from again after 2+ pages, lol...
Old 05-29-2009, 05:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CMR_ls1s
1.If its bucking, its the tune.Fuel trims are not correct.I have seen this.
Big cams and autos will have a few low rpm issues. My car was tuned by the best tuner in western new york but there is only so much he can do. He shouldn't expect stock driveability especially when in low rpm's while doing under 40 mph.

2.MPG does decrease in town traffic,but my car got 17mpg on the highway.Now he didnt say about highway or town driving,so not sure there.
Big cam usually means big stall and lots of gear to compliment it. Most people don't mind paying extra at the pump for a fast car but it is a downside to a daily driver. Especially if you're on a budget or have a long commute.

3.Loud exhaust problem? YES, but I have a factory SLP muff and it keeps it somewhat quiet.No where near as loud as dumps.
He said the car had cutouts but then again he also said this:

Originally Posted by HawaiianZ28Rider
...ungodly loud haha the earth gets violent wherever this car goes
Most people don't mind the loud cars. But if you live in an area with nit picky cops it might get you a few tickets. I love how loud my car is but I'm not sure I would like it 30-40 miles each and every day. But that's just me.

Originally Posted by HawaiianZ28Rider
4.I have the same cam and auto with only a 2500 stall and 3.23 gears and I have no problems.Except for the y-pipe bang until I fixed it.
Not true. You have two problems. The stall is WAY under sized for that cam and the gears are killing your performance as well. Your car would be a LOT faster with 3.73's and a 4000 stall.

Last edited by darrensls1; 05-29-2009 at 05:39 PM.