Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Advice on mods

Hey guys. I've been reading this board for awhile and appreciate all the information I've been able to gather from what everyone has to say. I'm trying to come up with a plan for what mods I want to make to my car and was curious what you guys thought.

I have an 02 NHRA Formula, still stock (just SLP lid and K&N air filter). I'm planning to keep this as a purely street car, so I want to make it very drivable around town too. Probably looking for around 500-550 hp. It's a semi-daily driver right now, only gets out when the weather is nice.

I've talked to Bob at EPP about putting in a Procharger and I would like to do that, but the list of other things I would need/want to upgrade keeps growing.

Here's what I had in mind so far:

ATI Procharger (plus all other required parts and tune from EPP)
Kooks LT Headers and Y Pipe
Magnaflow exhaust
BMR SFCs
BMR Torque arm
Moser 9" rear end
PST driveshaft
Vigilante torque converter
Transmission Cooler

I know this is going to end up being an expensive upgrade project, but I want it to be reliable because I plan on keeping this car forever. I just worry about getting the procharger by itself and then end up breaking my 10 bolt. It's probably going to be this fall or next spring before I can save up enough for all this but I'm just trying to do some research to finalize my plan.

I'd like to heard some feedback. What do you guys think? What's the next weak link, my transmission? Is this too much for my stock motor to handle?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by dougfloyd; 05-21-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A stage 2 build for your tranny from Tick Performance, about $1200 shipped.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

If you want to keep the car running for a long time - then I would start with the motor.
Looks like you have a good idea on what you want to go with it. But a procharged stock motor is probably not going to last as long as you want it to last.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Launching!

for the amount of boost needed to get 500-550hp(i take it you mean wheel hp?), you'll need to lower the compression and get some forged internals
Old 05-21-2009, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I may need to adjust my goals a bit to get what I want. I'm leaning towards sticking with my plan but using less boost even if it means staying in the 450hp range. I would feel more comfortable doing that and keeping the motor stock. Reliability is more of a priority than getting over the 500 hp mark.

Thanks again!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dougfloyd
Here's what I had in mind so far:

ATI Procharger (plus all other required parts and tune from EPP)
Kooks LT Headers and Y Pipe
Magnaflow exhaust
BMR SFCs
BMR Torque arm
Moser 9" rear end
PST driveshaft
Vigilante torque converter
Transmission Cooler

Thanks in advance.

That looks like a good plan. Keep the boost down and have epp tune it very safe and it can live at the 450-475 rwhp for a while, save up for a forged moter and then change the blower pully and turn her up 100+ hp. Get the rear end, suspention, and stall before you go crazy on power. If you do plan on more power in the future get a D1 procharger and upgrade to the 8 rib and race by pass up front. This will save you on having to upgrade forced induction parts with the new engine.