New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 buyers guide

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 buyers guide

i tried to search for a "buyers guide" thread. i am new to lsx motors. I have a few questions.

ive been told that 2000 f-bodies have oil problems, how serious is that and would a windage tray and oil pump help?
Old 05-27-2009, 12:08 AM
TECH Regular

who the hell told you that? prolly why 33 people before me opened this and never replied.

if there is an oil problem is a good chance that its an oil passage, and if thats the problem then a tray and pump wouldnt hurt but sure as hell wont fix the problem. pretty much compare it to a civic puting on a carbon fiber hood. yea it will help, but will it make a difference, prolly not.
anyone else feel free to chime in, iv just never heard of 2000 f-bodys having oil problems any more than any other motor made.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by terminal
i tried to search for a "buyers guide" thread. i am new to lsx motors. I have a few questions.

ive been told that 2000 f-bodies have oil problems, how serious is that and would a windage tray and oil pump help?
There really is no "buyer's guide" thread that I can recall right off the top of my head. I would take a stroll through the For Sale section and see what F-Bodies are going for on here and use that as a guide. KBB.com will also help, as that's about what banks will loan. It's really a buyer's market right now!

For differences in years, see: https://ls1tech.com/forums/1740880-post2.html

There are no oiling issues of any real concern with the LSx platform. Many do use a little oil. It's common to use a half quart to a quart every 3,000 miles, though not all do. My '99's LS1 would use a half quart between some changes, then others it wouldn't. No biggie. I just put 6 quarts in (instead of the manufacturer's recommended 5.5).

Some people add a "catch can" to help with oiling issues. Here are some good search results on the issue: https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?searchid=7810999

Hope that helps!
Old 05-27-2009, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by NAAllTheWay
who the hell told you that? prolly why 33 people before me opened this and never replied.

if there is an oil problem is a good chance that its an oil passage, and if thats the problem then a tray and pump wouldnt hurt but sure as hell wont fix the problem. pretty much compare it to a civic puting on a carbon fiber hood. yea it will help, but will it make a difference, prolly not.
anyone else feel free to chime in, iv just never heard of 2000 f-bodys having oil problems any more than any other motor made.
Originally Posted by Sharpe
There really is no "buyer's guide" thread that I can recall right off the top of my head. I would take a stroll through the For Sale section and see what F-Bodies are going for on here and use that as a guide. KBB.com will also help, as that's about what banks will loan. It's really a buyer's market right now!

For differences in years, see: https://ls1tech.com/forums/1740880-post2.html

There are no oiling issues of any real concern with the LSx platform. Many do use a little oil. It's common to use a half quart to a quart every 3,000 miles, though not all do. My '99's LS1 would use a half quart between some changes, then others it wouldn't. No biggie. I just put 6 quarts in (instead of the manufacturer's recommended 5.5).

Some people add a "catch can" to help with oiling issues. Here are some good search results on the issue: https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?searchid=7810999

Hope that helps!
well i have had Toyotas for a long time, so i am new to lsx motors. My friend tony has a heads/cam 01z28 and we got to talking this weekend about it and that just what he said. so i was going on what he said at first, but thats good to know. Are there really any major issue i need to look out for when looking for a car?
Old 05-27-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just look for obvious signs of it being modded if your looking at "stock" ls1s.

-k member notched for lts
-crank pulley bolt
-holes drilled for bottle brackets in the spare tire compartment
-any ghetto splicing done to the pcm under the hood
-the regular rattles/bangs/oil leaks/funny oil pressure
Old 05-27-2009, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by 1Loudz28
just look for obvious signs of it being modded if your looking at "stock" ls1s.

-k member notched for lts
-crank pulley bolt
-holes drilled for bottle brackets in the spare tire compartment
-any ghetto splicing done to the pcm under the hood
-the regular rattles/bangs/oil leaks/funny oil pressure
thank you sir!

Quick Reply: ls1 buyers guide