New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying a 01 ss camaro...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009 | 11:09 PM

Default buying a 01 ss camaro...

hello all , im new to the forum.....my question ...im about to buy a 01 ss camaro, that has a built up motor.supposively 450ish to rear...and the first question is what is stock hp/torque put out for this year/model, 2, difference between and ss and z28 , 3rd , he has a 150 nos wet kit not installed on yet but will throw in the deal, although, im worried about using NOS , but what is the best induction for these ls1's? 4, cubic inch of this motor , and of course i have to throw a body kit on it, what is a good recommendation for the body? lol one more , what is the stock gear ratio?
Old 05-26-2009 | 11:22 PM
TECH Resident

factory rating is 325 at the crank but in all honesty most make 290-315 to the wheels stock both ss and z28 models. the ss has more availible options such as upgrades shocks 17 inch rims slp exhaust slp intake and other misc stuff. nitrous is fine on these cars no problems solong as its tuned properly. Alot of guys have great luck with all 3 turbo no2 and superchargers ds1's make great power. Stock ls1 cubic inch is 346. if you must do a body kit just do an GM Rs body kit its nice and tasteful. lastly depending on your tranny it could have 273 324 or 342 gears
Old 05-26-2009 | 11:34 PM
9 Second Club

Ask the current owner if the car has a "built" bottom end. With 450 horsepower already at the tires, a 150-shot on a stock bottom might make it go boom.
Old 05-26-2009 | 11:39 PM
TECH Regular

1.)01 ss is rated at 325/345 i believe, every car is different but plan on rear wheel hp to be 290's for a 6 speed and maybe 270 for auto, add around 20 to those both those for your torque numbers.
2.)z28 and ss will not have many differences. hood, rear spoiler, cat-back and ss's had ram air while the z's dont. i beleive the manuals all have 3.42 rear end gears. when it comes to auto i believe your will have i think its a 273 rear end or 323. the z will more likely have a 273 and the ss should have a 323, and i do believe that sometimes there is exeptions, so check the code on the door (you can find this on the forum, it will tell you how to check your door codes to find rear end gear.) im only 95% sure on the gears so if im wrong maybe somone can correct me, although that should be correct.
3.)No affence but leave the NITROS off the car for now until you learn a little more. you cant just hook it up and go theres more you need to it so just forget about the nitros. with turbo and superchargers as long as its tuned professionaly you shouldnt have a problem but man you need to figure out what has been done to that car before you open up that can of worms. if that car is making that kind of power the motor is built. so there is definitly head work, and there is a good chance that they are milled, if they are milled you have the wrong heads for superchargers or nitros. Also you need to figure out if it has forged internals, if it does NOT, then you cannot add a supercharger, turbo OR nitros because that motor will detonate. Even if it does have forged internals, you cannot add supercharger turbo or nitros unless you have a fully built drivetrain, or **** will go KA-BOOM!
4.) 346 C.I.
5.)dont put on a body kit, if you do a pole on here weather you should or shouldn't, im willing to bet people wont even bother voting. leave it how it is. however it's your car so if you think it will look better than do its seldom done (for a reason.)
6.) answered in question 2.
Old 05-26-2009 | 11:43 PM
TECH Regular

and yea while typing this you got a few replies above me, haha yea i forgot to add the rims and suspension for the differences, and on a stock bottom end with 450 to the back tires a 150 shot WILL make it go kaboom so be sure you check on that
Old 05-27-2009 | 12:03 PM

lol thanks for all the info! good to know im usually in dodgetalk.com for my 04 ram thats highly modded and dont know the chevy line to well!! i dont like the 150 shot idea without a bigger rear end /built up either and i was def. gonna wait to see whats going on , im looking at the car today and will get the build sheet and let you guys know whats done off this thread and then we can accumilate a solution for a hp adder! but 450 to rear with NA motor should move pretty good i think....but well have to see...again thanks for all the input /knowledge and also, my buddy who has a trans am said this might be a 383 ci.....or is that just a stroker kit?
Old 05-27-2009 | 07:43 PM

here is what the previous owner has done.........4.10 motive gears, mac mid length headers with slp loudmouth exhuast, spec stage2+ clutch, msd wires with NGK tr55 spark plugs, bbk 85mm throttle body with 85mm slp mass air sensor, theres a T.A diff cover for extra strength, Racetronix walbro 255 lph fuel pump , hardend chromolly pushrods - 243 casting by gm. Dual valve springs. ASP Under drive pulley. cam is a torquer v.2 which the specs are 232/234 .595/.598. . The rockers are stock and so are the injectors.stock rockers due to the fast ramp rate of that cam shaft. tunning was done by Mathews Super Shop ------- with nitrous you can def beat any 600 cc streetbike.
Old 05-27-2009 | 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sscamaroracing
hello all , im new to the forum.....my question ...im about to buy a 01 ss camaro, that has a built up motor.supposively 450ish to rear...and the first question is what is stock hp/torque put out for this year/model, 2, difference between and ss and z28 , 3rd , he has a 150 nos wet kit not installed on yet but will throw in the deal, although, im worried about using NOS , but what is the best induction for these ls1's? 4, cubic inch of this motor , and of course i have to throw a body kit on it, what is a good recommendation for the body? lol one more , what is the stock gear ratio?
I hope this is a joke, if not... PLEASE get off our forums. We dont need any more rice than what we already have.
Old 05-27-2009 | 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NAAllTheWay
1.)01 ss is rated at 325/345 i believe, every car is different but plan on rear wheel hp to be 290's for a 6 speed and maybe 270 for auto, add around 20 to those both those for your torque numbers.
2.)z28 and ss will not have many differences. hood, rear spoiler, cat-back and ss's had ram air while the z's dont. i beleive the manuals all have 3.42 rear end gears. when it comes to auto i believe your will have i think its a 273 rear end or 323. the z will more likely have a 273 and the ss should have a 323, and i do believe that sometimes there is exeptions, so check the code on the door (you can find this on the forum, it will tell you how to check your door codes to find rear end gear.) im only 95% sure on the gears so if im wrong maybe somone can correct me, although that should be correct.
3.)No affence but leave the NITROS off the car for now until you learn a little more. you cant just hook it up and go theres more you need to it so just forget about the nitros. with turbo and superchargers as long as its tuned professionaly you shouldnt have a problem but man you need to figure out what has been done to that car before you open up that can of worms. if that car is making that kind of power the motor is built. so there is definitly head work, and there is a good chance that they are milled, if they are milled you have the wrong heads for superchargers or nitros. Also you need to figure out if it has forged internals, if it does NOT, then you cannot add a supercharger, turbo OR nitros because that motor will detonate. Even if it does have forged internals, you cannot add supercharger turbo or nitros unless you have a fully built drivetrain, or **** will go KA-BOOM!
4.) 346 C.I.
5.)dont put on a body kit, if you do a pole on here weather you should or shouldn't, im willing to bet people wont even bother voting. leave it how it is. however it's your car so if you think it will look better than do its seldom done (for a reason.)
6.) answered in question 2.
Your post is full of fail as well... the LS1 comes with about 345-350 at the crank stock, this means anywhere from 280-310 to the ground (higher manual, lower auto). also its NITROUS. Lastly, higher compression is not a bad thing with nitrous because its not adding "boost" its just adding concentrated oxygen.

here is what the previous owner has done.........4.10 motive gears, mac mid length headers with slp loudmouth exhuast, spec stage2+ clutch, msd wires with NGK tr55 spark plugs, bbk 85mm throttle body with 85mm slp mass air sensor, theres a T.A diff cover for extra strength, Racetronix walbro 255 lph fuel pump , hardend chromolly pushrods - 243 casting by gm. Dual valve springs. ASP Under drive pulley. cam is a torquer v.2 which the specs are 232/234 .595/.598. . The rockers are stock and so are the injectors.stock rockers due to the fast ramp rate of that cam shaft. tunning was done by Mathews Super Shop ------- with nitrous you can def beat any 600 cc streetbike.
If he's making anywhere close to 450 the injectors are not stock, in fact I'd go as far as to say if he's making close to 400 then the injectors are not stock. I only have bolt ons and my injectors are at 100% duty cycle under WOT.
Old 05-27-2009 | 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by 406malibu
I hope this is a joke, if not... PLEASE get off our forums. We dont need any more rice than what we already have.
wow get the f*ck out of the forum? very inviting.....never been welcomed like that thats a first for forum's...i was only talking about a f1series body kit or whatever which is trim and a cowl hood, so NO im not a ricer , i dont even like *****n ricers,and im not even trying to rice out a camaro... thanks for your info dumba$$ i was only trying to get help/info being that i dont know chevys....and or what parts or availble ...thanks to other guys who did respond to a NEWBIES QUESTIONS ..yes he did suggest upgrading the injectors due to the high hp and your right 450 ish may not be correct at all but with his mods , he may be close to 400 ish idk and well see what his sheet says. by the way , im buying the camaro so please dont respond to any of my newbie questions with that rude a$$ Sh*t
Old 05-27-2009 | 10:44 PM
Teching In

Just take what he said light hearted.You can meet the good,the bad and the ugly on here.LOL. He is right about the fuel system though, 450hp on the stock system just isnt likly. 150 shot isnt bad, i have heard of guys putting on 200 shots! BUT remember that rearend can take that much power especially on a six speed car. They have been know to even brake under stock power on six speed cars. I have been hard on mine, but I have a A4(auto).
Old 05-27-2009 | 10:47 PM
Teching In

Get receipts or documents for what this guy has put in the car. If you say its a built bottom-end(crank,rods,pistons,etc.) he should have kept everything to prove that it is what it is.
Old 05-27-2009 | 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow get the f*ck out of the forum? very inviting.....never been welcomed like that thats a first for forum's...i was only talking about a f1series body kit or whatever which is trim and a cowl hood, so NO im not a ricer , i dont even like *****n ricers,and im not even trying to rice out a camaro... thanks for your info dumba$$ i was only trying to get help/info being that i dont know chevys....and or what parts or availble ...thanks to other guys who did respond to a NEWBIES QUESTIONS ..yes he did suggest upgrading the injectors due to the high hp and your right 450 ish may not be correct at all but with his mods , he may be close to 400 ish idk and well see what his sheet says. by the way , im buying the camaro so please dont respond to any of my newbie questions with that rude a$$ Sh*t
I didn't say get the "f*ck" out of the forum

Originally Posted by CMR_ls1s
Just take what he said light hearted.You can meet the good,the bad and the ugly on here.LOL. He is right about the fuel system though, 450hp on the stock system just isnt likly. 150 shot isnt bad, i have heard of guys putting on 200 shots! BUT remember that rearend can take that much power especially on a six speed car. They have been know to even brake under stock power on six speed cars. I have been hard on mine, but I have a A4(auto).

btw terms like NOS and bodykit are rice make sure if you do get this car, you know what you're really getting because if what you posted this guy said, then he doesn't have near what he thinks he does. He did get one thing right, the rockers
Old 05-27-2009 | 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

on the technical things i gotta agree with malibu here. Also 450 RWHP isn't happening on stock injectors. Torquer V2s in M6s usually turn 390-400 at the wheels and yes the injectors are maxed the **** out. Make an injector swap the first thing you do please.
Old 05-28-2009 | 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't see those mods making close to 450 unless the heads are milled to bump compression, have a really good port job and have negative dish pistons to clear the mill.

In other words.... ASK FOR A DYNO SHEET
Old 05-28-2009 | 01:58 PM

alrighty....he runs 12.4 here in colorado with a 7200 DA, can beat some 600 cc bikes and can take a highly modded sti with 28 psi turbo ,by 10 car lengths at 100 mph , and dont worry when he give me the sheet ill let you know , other facts , he hasnt blow the rear yet , he did however bust a tranny mount , but his rear was replaced out of mistake with now (4:10's ,hardened ta diff cover,torque locker) and does have all receipts for everything he has done with the mods posted above
Old 05-28-2009 | 02:25 PM
On The Tree

In all honesty go buy a stock car and do the mods urself that way you know everything is done RIGHT
Old 05-28-2009 | 03:48 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

I'm with the previous post. Buying someone else's go-fast-car will probably just net you a bunch of headaches. Who knows how this thing was built or how it was treated. This thing could be on its last legs and you wouldn't even know it. By the time you figure out what's going on it'll be too late and you'll be in it for who knows how much. Besides, wouldn't you rather build the car yourself and know everything about it?
Old 05-28-2009 | 06:03 PM

well nice to know ,. but im that guy that doesnt like downtime , patience , part waiting i did it all with my truck and its lots of frustration...btw this is a friend of a friend and he says it runs solid, it drives like it runs solid and wouldnt sell me a piece of crap built up camaro. your right, part by part , seeing it progress would be better, but again, im in it just to buy a hp monster and drive it. orginally, i have been looking for a camaro just to buy stock and build, you cant get one with this price hes selling to me for , with these many mods. i have the money to replace parts and add parts,this is stricly a weekend car, so i dont mind maintance as far as broken parts down the road...all in all ,if the ls1 cant handle upgrades then it just cant and its time to trade it. i have been comparing saleens SC'd 99-04's and these ls1's seem to perform/ upgrade better.
Old 05-28-2009 | 06:07 PM

by the way...injectors are the first and obvious mod to the car ,looks like texas speed is a good sponsor ( also where he got the parts) which injectors to buy for this setup?