New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fans won't shut off/AC doesn't blow cold

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009 | 08:17 PM
Teching In

Default Fans won't shut off/AC doesn't blow cold

I've searched all over this site and can't seem to find anyone that has had this problem before. I started my car the other day and noticed that my fans were running and my AC wasn't blowing cold. Could these two items be related? I have an electric fan switch hooked up, but I've never had any problems until now. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-05-2009 | 06:23 PM
Teching In

Somebody has to have heard of this before or have some sort of idea about what is wrong. Anyone?
Old 06-06-2009 | 07:11 AM
11 Second Club

You started the car and it was cold and the fans were running?

If the a/c isn't blowing cold it may just bee time to recharge the freon. If this becomes a common occurrence then you have a leak, compressor is bad, etc
Old 06-06-2009 | 07:36 AM
Teching In

Yes, even when I start my car cold (6:00 a.m. for work) the fans come on.

If it was just the a/c not blowing cold and the fans were working fine then yes, I would think it was just the freon, but the fan problem and the a/c problem happened at the same time. Therefore it makes me think these two things are related. I may try to charge the a/c and see if it starts blowing cold again just to do some trouble shooting. Thank you 98Camarod
Old 06-06-2009 | 07:56 AM
TECH Regular

if you turn your ac on then your fans automaticly come on turn your ac to off and then see if they go off as for the ac not blowing cold prob just need to recharge it
Old 06-06-2009 | 08:16 AM
11 Second Club

I don't recall if these cars do it or not, but when the a/c is on a fan is turned on. I looked in hp tuners and the fans just have a on temp and off temp. Is your a/c on when you start the car too? Are you actually seeing/feeling the fan on or are you talking about the air pump?

EDIT: Seeing how the fans are controlled by temperature, is your engine coolant temperature accurate? If not, it may be a bad ECT sensor. Just throwing out some ideas
Old 06-06-2009 | 04:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
I don't recall if these cars do it or not, but when the a/c is on a fan is turned on. I looked in hp tuners and the fans just have a on temp and off temp. Is your a/c on when you start the car too? Are you actually seeing/feeling the fan on or are you talking about the air pump?

EDIT: Seeing how the fans are controlled by temperature, is your engine coolant temperature accurate? If not, it may be a bad ECT sensor. Just throwing out some ideas
they do come on when the a/c is on
Old 06-06-2009 | 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DCsLS1

Absolutely
Old 06-06-2009 | 07:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DCsLS1
Don't have a/c anymore that's why I wasn't sure