New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some exhaust advice.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Need some exhaust advice.

Hi I have a 00 z28 and last week my I took off my Catalytic converters (they were clogged/not working). While taking the converter off from one of the headers i managed to break all three bolt heads off in the flange connecting the header to the cat. After I got the cat problem resolved I tried everthing I could think of to get at least one of those bolts out of that header without actually taking the header off including trying to drill through it (didnt make a dent in that bolt) and heating it up with a propane torch and trying to vise grip it out (didnt budge). Right now the rest of the bolts stick out just enough to kind of wedge the cat back in there but there still is a great deal of exhaust leak cause my car still has a stock car kind of sound to it (really loud).
Right now Im looking for some kind of fix to prevent exhaust leak pre cat since im going to just put it back together without bolting it in. Ive considered exhaust tape but thats temporary at best. Maybe using some kind of clamps? Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Old 06-05-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Your going to need an Oxygen Acytelene torch to heat those up, propane does not burn hot enough to losen them. Just pull out your wallet and go to an exhaust shop and let them fix it for you if you don't have access to the tools. As far as drilling your going to need a good set of bits to drill into hardened bolts. As far as not bolting it in it not going to work unless you could put a clamp on but you have a flange in the way, so I would just say fix it right or learn to live with an annoying ticking sound.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by mook99ta
Your going to need an Oxygen Acytelene torch to heat those up, propane does not burn hot enough to losen them. Just pull out your wallet and go to an exhaust shop and let them fix it for you if you don't have access to the tools. As far as drilling your going to need a good set of bits to drill into hardened bolts. As far as not bolting it in it not going to work unless you could put a clamp on but you have a flange in the way, so I would just say fix it right or learn to live with an annoying ticking sound.
My dads a welder and has one of those torches in his garage so ill ask him about it. In the meantime i cant afford to take it to a shop at this point so think ill look into getting a harder drill bit and use a kit i bought to remove it. Thanks for your input!
Old 06-05-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like a good time for headers.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you go too far. Stop by and ask an exhaust guy how much CASH to fix it. I can't imagine the guy would charge you much.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

just get headers and a flowmaster merge and be done with it