New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker Rollers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009 | 12:22 PM
Teching In

Default Rocker Rollers?

My friend looked at my car or listened to my car and he said that those were my rocker rollers. He said something about it was common for this to happen to GM cars and that they need to be adjusted I think. My car is making a noise that is hard to explain, sounds like water or an exhaust leak but I got a new exhaust and it didn't go away. I can only hear it when my car is cold and I first start it up and its on idle after the car is warm it goes away. You guys got anything for me? Thanks
Old 06-26-2009 | 12:38 PM
10 Second Club

How many miles are on your car?
Old 06-27-2009 | 01:10 AM
12 Second Club

could be piston slap, LS cars were notorious for having it...once it warms up the pistons expand and bam...no more noise...don't worry about it...

and the proper term is "roller rockers"...which if ur car is stock you do not have these...
Old 06-27-2009 | 10:40 AM
On The Tree

The exhaust leak sound you are hearing is coming from the AIR pump. It runs when the car is cold, after the car warms up it turns of automaticlly. The Air pump is part of the emissions control system.
Old 06-28-2009 | 05:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RsSean
How many miles are on your car?
My car has 46,900 miles.

But basically theirs no serious damage from the sounds of it?
Old 06-28-2009 | 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't think your friend knows what he's talking about. Stock rockers aren't adjustable. They are roller fulcrum's though
Old 06-28-2009 | 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What does it sound like, if its a tick you could have a lifter that take a little while to pump up. When my car is on a cold start sometimes I'll get a ticking for the first few minutes and then goes away. (168k miles)
Old 06-28-2009 | 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snksknr
The exhaust leak sound you are hearing is coming from the AIR pump. It runs when the car is cold, after the car warms up it turns of automaticlly. The Air pump is part of the emissions control system.
+1 on this unplug your air pump before you start it and see if it goes away!
Old 06-28-2009 | 08:57 PM
Teching In

LOL so they aren't adjustable. great.

Originally Posted by Mart00SS
What does it sound like, if its a tick you could have a lifter that take a little while to pump up. When my car is on a cold start sometimes I'll get a ticking for the first few minutes and then goes away. (168k miles)
It's not a ticking noise, its hard to explain. I'll try to record it or something and post it.

And the AIR pump thing I will try and let ya know.
Old 06-28-2009 | 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

i had a ticking noise on mine that sounded like a lifter... i put the tip of a screwdriver on the valve cover and the other end in my ear to see if the noise was more pronounced in one certain area... i went over all the cylinders and after finding nothing there, i stuck it on the evap purge valve and bam!... replaced that and the ticking went away... i have heard injectors get pretty noisy too
Old 07-01-2009 | 10:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by neutron82
i had a ticking noise on mine that sounded like a lifter... i put the tip of a screwdriver on the valve cover and the other end in my ear to see if the noise was more pronounced in one certain area... i went over all the cylinders and after finding nothing there, i stuck it on the evap purge valve and bam!... replaced that and the ticking went away... i have heard injectors get pretty noisy too
Alright i misinterpreted my friend and it is my lifters, ran it by his friends shop and they said it is my lifters but they are going to try and adjust the valves i think and if that doesnt work then i am going to get new lifters. Thanks for the info guys, im learnin along the way.
Old 07-02-2009 | 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Don't let that shop work on your car. Preload is adjusted with PR length.

This is not gen1 engine!!!!
Old 07-02-2009 | 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 on not letting that shop work on your car...

They thought you had roller rockers (-1 for them) and they thought they could adjust things that they can't adjust (-1 more). They've apparently already talked you into lifters, which it doesn't sound like is the problem to me (-1 again). Find someone familiar with LS series motors...

Also, you say you got a new exhaust, did you get new headers? If so, the car is going to be louder regardless.
Old 07-03-2009 | 03:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jimbo98z
+1 on not letting that shop work on your car...

They thought you had roller rockers (-1 for them) and they thought they could adjust things that they can't adjust (-1 more). They've apparently already talked you into lifters, which it doesn't sound like is the problem to me (-1 again). Find someone familiar with LS series motors...

Also, you say you got a new exhaust, did you get new headers? If so, the car is going to be louder regardless.
Yea I'm not gonna let them work on my car it was just taken there to see what the problem is. And they do kno wat they are talkin about well at least my friend does, i jus misunderstood what he was sayin. And i havent put on my headers yet.

Anyways i kno it is my lifters and since its gonna be expensive to replace because of the labor, imma save up for a cam swap and just fix it and all at once!
Old 07-03-2009 | 03:57 PM
12 Second Club

Are you retarded? We all just said the shop is WRONG, and now you agree with the shop and think it's your lifters. Dude, you have under 50k miles and you think ur lifters are making noise? I have ls7 lifters and they are much louder then your but I don't mind it and it doesn't cause any problems. LOOK into what is going on with your car before you give them it or don't come on here saying how something else is wrong and you got ripped off for buying stuff you did not need.
Old 07-03-2009 | 11:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fccs
Are you retarded? We all just said the shop is WRONG, and now you agree with the shop and think it's your lifters. Dude, you have under 50k miles and you think ur lifters are making noise? I have ls7 lifters and they are much louder then your but I don't mind it and it doesn't cause any problems. LOOK into what is going on with your car before you give them it or don't come on here saying how something else is wrong and you got ripped off for buying stuff you did not need.
Okay I'm not bout to be part of the hundreds of people that ARGUE through a forum. I understand what you guys are saying and I preciate your help, i am going to take my car to A-R-D, which they work on nothing but LS cars and see what they say. I don't think yall understand what kind of noise its making but when I take it to A-R-D I'll find out what is wrong. Then go from there.

Last edited by mlbz28; 07-03-2009 at 11:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-04-2009 | 08:15 AM
On The Tree

what amazes more than anything is when someone asks for advice and it is given and the majority tells you what it is and you still ignore advice...
understand this...LS1's are known for making odd and or strange sounds especially when cold, period! It's normal! period! If you don't want advice, don't ask for it!
Old 07-04-2009 | 08:55 AM
Teching In

How doe's roller rockers help with a stock cam?
Old 07-04-2009 | 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

they can open the valves a little further to make more power without having to change the cam
Old 07-04-2009 | 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

How doe's roller rockers help with a stock cam?
IDK, but I thought they opened the valves a little earlyier and closed them a little later, creating a little more overlap, but I may well be wrong?

If you intend to swap the cam later on keep the stockers rr, as most aftermarket cams recommend the stock 1:7 ratio.

I am still learning about this stuff, so best to double check this info.