New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP - Please HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009 | 05:24 PM
Teching In

Default HELP - Please HELP!

I searched around the posts and could not find a similar issue so here goes. I am converting to F-Body accessories on a 2003 LM7 5.3. I ordered the Camaro crank pulley so the accessory belts will all line up, since the truck acessories are further away from the block. I followed the recommeded steps and they are as follows. 1) Loosen the crank bolt, then position the 3 jaw puller assembly on the pulley and slowly move the pulley off the crank snout. You will need to loosen the bolt further, reposition the puller until you have the pulley fully removed. 2) Heat the new pulley in your oven at 400 degrees F. 3) Lubricate the crank snout, slide the pulley on the crank snout. Slide it far enough to start threading the crank bolt into the crankshaft. Slowly tighten the crank bolt until the pulley is seated. Torque the crank bolt to 240 ft lbs. 4) Remove the old crank bolt, replace with a new crank bolt and torque to 37 ft lbs.

Here is where I ran into a major problem. I tightened the crank bolt down until I could no longer turn the 24 inch breaker bar, but the pulley was not seated. I tried to back out the crank bolt and it will not BUDGE. I was able to drive the pulley fully forward and seat it, hoping to take pressure off the threads of the crankbolt, but no luck. I have used a 260 lb impact wrench and a 24 inch breaker bar and I cannot MOVE it at all. There is at least a 1/4 inch gap behind the flange of the crankbolt and the face of the pulley. UGH

Any thoughts or suggestions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Old 07-10-2009 | 05:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Get a bigger breaker bar. You could also try heating the pulley with a torch if you feel comfortable doing that, it might help.
Old 07-10-2009 | 05:32 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply. Any chance I could damage any seals by heating it up?
Old 07-10-2009 | 06:28 PM
Teching In

Any other ideas? I am little concerend about heating the pulley and crank and possibly damaging crank seals. Thoughts?
Old 07-10-2009 | 08:15 PM
On The Tree

i would not recomend putting a torch on it on the car get a cheater bar and good luck ou may have goobered up the threads
Old 07-11-2009 | 08:25 PM
Teching In

Well I was able to break the bolt loose and remove it this afternoon with help from a friend and a 4 foot breaker bar. The first few threads of the bolt were really messed up and it looks like the bolt bottomed out in the crank. Is that possible? Same bolt that came out but it looks as though the tip of the bolt is bent slightly and the first couple of threads are effected.

Not sure what could have happened. I picked up a new crank bolt from the dealer but had to order a M16 x 2.0 tap to chase the threads of the crank before I will consider trying the new bolt.

Has anyone seen or heard of this happening?
Old 07-14-2009 | 11:15 PM
On The Tree

Haven't heard of that before, but it sounds like you were lucky to get that bolt out. Woulda been a booger to drill that one out!