Sponsored by:

LS6 Engine management

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 Engine management

Hi,
I'm a relative newbie here....hope this is the appropriate forum.

I have just acquired a 1999 LS6 crate engine to soon go into my 1969 Camaro. I got this engine without computer/controller. I plan to add headers and mostly bolt-on items initially. Is a factory computer good enough to control/manage this without leaving HP on the table? I want to maximize power but am trying to be frugal...any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 07-14-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Umm the LS6 didn't come out until 2001..
Old 07-15-2009, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The 99-up factory unit can be reprogrammed any way you want.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:13 AM
TECH Regular

yea a stock ls1 computer will run a ls6 motor no problem, but air/fuel and such will be off, wont be bad to run in the short but you can have that reprogrammed which you will want to bc it will leave you a couple horses short, not to mention its not very good on the car. i wouldnt run it like that but people do mods to their ls1's including cam heads (which is the basic difference between ls1 and ls6 and their cars run no problem), i would get the **** retuned though bc its not exactly great for your motor. Like i said though if you drop that motor in theres nothing wrong with hearing that bitch run and taking it around the block or whatever before you get the computer tuned, i just wouldnt be out pounding it too much before you get the computer issue dealt with. you can get a mail order tune for i think around 250 give or take which is when you tell them your mods and they will tune the computer accordingly and sent it to you. The best thing to do though would be to get a dyno tune, the car will make the most power that way and will run the best and its best for your car. should run around 500 give or take.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw in another thread you were running DBW so this may help you out......

http://chevythunder.com/drive_by_wire.htm
Old 07-17-2009, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Default Engine management

Thanks guys...

After checking all of the numbers on the engine, we found out it is actually a 2001 crate motor,not a 1999 as advertised. I am not a fan of DBW (mainly because I don't understand it) but I still think I am going with a stock 2001 computer that is reflashed (basically stock with headers). I will continue to search online though and if a good aftermarket computer setup becomes available at a great price, I'll dive in....thx again for the advice!
Old 07-19-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

yea just make sure they know to reflash for an ls6 motor...know what i mean? sure you already got that but just wanted to be sure you dont forget....heads and cam are diff. so...

Quick Reply: LS6 Engine management