Sponsored by:

"You owe me a 10 second car"

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 02:59 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What?

And a wrx certainly isn't the best candidate for 10's.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys, I've got the $$$, it's just tied up in possible living expenses, medical bills (not mine), etc. I appreciate everyone's feedback, keep em comming, also if you've got even more suggestions (parts to use or not to use, or whatever), I'm open to them.

For review: I'm not really looking to make it to 10sec overnight. The biggest problems I'm facing are that I have poor or no mechanical skills, I'd like to keep it under warranty (after May '07, I'm pouring everything into making this thing a BEAST), it's my daily driver, and I'm out here in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. But hey, could be worse
At any rate, I'll be doing my research, looking for good deals, and hopefully getting even more suggestions from you guys
Old 11-18-2003, 07:40 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Rice=yummy
Old 11-18-2003, 11:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

10s N/A?!!! I agree with the colonel LOTS of money especially if you aren't doing the work yourself. That would sound like a resleeved bored out 346 to 427 with stage 3 heads and a bullitproof tranny. Then you have gears, driveshaft, rear end and suspension to handle the power. Then you have to worry about gas. How high are you gonna run the compression and what kind of octane you have to put in it. I'm going the simple way, sort of, 382 stroker, stage 2 heads,decent cam and a blower. Should keep the compression low to run pump gas. Then throw a shot of NOS on top for the hell of it. Just have fun doin it and be safe!!!
Old 11-19-2003, 01:09 AM
Teching In

Honestly if you really want to keep this thing as your daily driver and still be legal I would take a serious look at nitrous. That way you don't have to build a monster engine to get you into 10's I mean you don't have to run 10's evey time you go out. Just use the NOS when you really feel like proving your point.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Big_Steve
Honestly if you really want to keep this thing as your daily driver and still be legal I would take a serious look at nitrous. That way you don't have to build a monster engine to get you into 10's I mean you don't have to run 10's evey time you go out. Just use the NOS when you really feel like proving your point.
Very good point,
and you will also need lots of practice.
there is a ton of good info in this thread if you take the time and advice.

Good luck, and remember make them come up to your level not the other
way around

Last edited by killer01ws6; 12-05-2003 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Colonel
He said NA. So, the list get's long.

12? Easy as pie. 11s? No major problem. 10s NA? Gonna take some hard work and $$$.

Colonel, what TQ Converter do you recommend for me? I was looking at the Super Stock 4000 as a future purchase.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gimme the details of what you're trying to do (street racing from a stop, rolling, track racing, etc...), what kind of drivability you're looking for, what kind of traction you'll have, what your overall setup (drivetrain, engine, and weight) will be now and in the near future.

I'm running the SS4000 now. It's an awesome street/strip converter. It's not an all-out racing converter but it's not a moderate street converter either. Drivability is pretty good (IMO) but not great with 3.23 gears and a full weight car.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I guess it'd be like this:

Daily Driver approx 250 a week
Quarter mile track maybe twice a month

Not really into racing, just wanna shut these ricers up once, take their money and leave em crying. Well, maybe not, don't wanna incur the 'wrath' of burned ricers, lol.

The ride should be smooth, not jerky. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

Hey Fenix, I'm new to modding out my car as well, but I will tell you this: take pride that you've got a truly badass car, not something that looks like and advanced go kart.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

Two words: "Platinum card". To keep it short, you can do it N/A but it's gonna cost you some bucks. Do your homework and it'll get done. It will be much easier when the warranty isn't an issue.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

dood seriously...noobie here but, i took the easy way out and went with nitrous...ok there is a reason why it is referred to as giggle gas....cause after spraying against a 00 civic si that was considered fast around here, i just about left a skid mark on my seat cause i was laughin so hard. its nice when you have minimal mods like myself and still break into the high 11's with a 100 shot.
best thing was i won a date with his sister and i ended up hittin that ****....so giggle gas has all sorts of pros haha

but hey if you can create a 10 second all motor beast...
good luck
Old 12-06-2003, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slik98z
its nice when you have minimal mods like myself and still break into the high 11's with a 100 shot.
best thing was i won a date with his sister and i ended up hittin that ****....so giggle gas has all sorts of pros haha
Now THAT is ****** excellent!
Old 12-06-2003, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Last edited by went12s; 02-01-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:04 PM
Banned

Want to break 12's? I shall tell ya how.
My car is an '01 SS A4.
Mods I did were:
160 T-Stat from SLP
freebie mods such as T/B Bipass, and grinded the T/B for more WOT effect ( it works ).
SLP Loud Mouth Cat back exhaust
K&N FIPK CAI
Nitto 555 Tires

ran a best of 12.7 AT 108.9 MILES AN HOUR in 42 degree day with a perfect DA.
60 foot was 1.801

cant really beat that. The mods costed me a total of 970.00
All used parts except the T-STAT.

Not bad 12.7's but let me tell you this one VERRRRY IMPORTANT THING..

Speed is an ADDICTION. Noone here ( well most ) can HONESTELY say that they are completely happy with their times and WOULDNT add on another part for the valuable tenth(s) they would save.
I was estatic making 12.9 then 12.8 then 12.7 now I want 12.5's so I am adding MAC HEADERS AND Y PIPE WITHOUT CATS.

If you are concerned with violating your warranty, then stop right where you are now, turn the computer off, take the bottle of zaino out and just wax your car for the rest of the year. RACING = VIOLATING THE WARRANTY unless you go to JAY FISHERS PONTIAC IN JERSEY. They warranty HEADS AND CAM!
He is awesome, abit pricey and since Abe left, abit lacadasical with their work ethic. But still all in all, they warrany aftermarket parts such as T.C., H/C, REARS, TRANNY. ect.

Hope that helps ya out alittle.

just my two cents worth and my two cents are in PESOS!

LOL

~Steve~
Old 12-06-2003, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

as stated b4 10s off the bottle takes major cash....i personally know a couple guys who do it...but daily driver their cars aren't.....i go 12.10s (no slicks BTW) and my car doesnt drive anything like stock anymore....not real bad, really just too much noise and a little worse mileage....but still if i were to tack on a 100 shot i could probably run low 11s. even if thats not a 10 its damn close and a 17 second or even a 15 second honda wouldnt know the difference anyway......best thing to do if you really wanna destroy those guys without building a race car is get yourself some headers, converter if you dont care about the warranty and a nice NOS or NX kit...o and some sticky tires....youll be blowing the doors off of just about anything but the really serious cars and youll have good drivability... just my opinion....

BTW wyckedcamaro- hey i know you! ( check sig, i think you can figure out who i am)
Old 12-07-2003, 06:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wyckedcamaro
Want to break 12's? I shall tell ya how.
My car is an '01 SS A4.
Mods I did were:
160 T-Stat from SLP
freebie mods such as T/B Bipass, and grinded the T/B for more WOT effect ( it works ).
SLP Loud Mouth Cat back exhaust
K&N FIPK CAI
Nitto 555 Tires

ran a best of 12.7 AT 108.9 MILES AN HOUR in 42 degree day with a perfect DA.
60 foot was 1.801

cant really beat that. The mods costed me a total of 970.00
All used parts except the T-STAT.

Not bad 12.7's but let me tell you this one VERRRRY IMPORTANT THING..

Speed is an ADDICTION. Noone here ( well most ) can HONESTELY say that they are completely happy with their times and WOULDNT add on another part for the valuable tenth(s) they would save.
I was estatic making 12.9 then 12.8 then 12.7 now I want 12.5's so I am adding MAC HEADERS AND Y PIPE WITHOUT CATS.

If you are concerned with violating your warranty, then stop right where you are now, turn the computer off, take the bottle of zaino out and just wax your car for the rest of the year. RACING = VIOLATING THE WARRANTY unless you go to JAY FISHERS PONTIAC IN JERSEY. They warranty HEADS AND CAM!
He is awesome, abit pricey and since Abe left, abit lacadasical with their work ethic. But still all in all, they warrany aftermarket parts such as T.C., H/C, REARS, TRANNY. ect.

Hope that helps ya out alittle.

just my two cents worth and my two cents are in PESOS!

LOL

~Steve~
Wish there was a place here in Hawaii that does warranties work like that I'm not in a hurry, sides, I've got my baby for a long time. Knowing right now that I've got low 14 high 13 (estimated) is good. Even better once I get all the info and $$$ for some good fun. But always good to plan, stuff like this not bound to happen for a couple years, but I am learning about certain mods that I can put in and take out myself in case I need to go to the dealership. Keep it comming guys, I appreciate all of your input
Old 12-07-2003, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FenixSS
Wish there was a place here in Hawaii that does warranties work like that I'm not in a hurry, sides, I've got my baby for a long time. Knowing right now that I've got low 14 high 13 (estimated) is good. Even better once I get all the info and $$$ for some good fun. But always good to plan, stuff like this not bound to happen for a couple years, but I am learning about certain mods that I can put in and take out myself in case I need to go to the dealership. Keep it comming guys, I appreciate all of your input

the only way your going low 14s is if you try to stand on the gas off the line with skinnies on the rear....a 2001 Z should be a solid mid 13 car stock....my 98 Z (remember less power in the 98s) went 13.40s with a lid and catback (2.73s at the time and on a street tire)....good luck

EDIT: sorry i meant 2001 SS (same thing anyway )
Old 12-07-2003, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Fenix you should look at the PT4400, its a great converter and it's not that bad on the street, if you are going with stock gears it will be loose as hell but I think you will get used to it. Good Luck

Wes
Old 12-07-2003, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by onebadz
Hey Fenix you should look at the PT4400, its a great converter and it's not that bad on the street, if you are going with stock gears it will be loose as hell but I think you will get used to it.
Wes, what do you mean about that particular converter feeling loose? I'm looking for one as well, and I'm going to stick with the stock gears.