New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a ported tb worth 100.00 and...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you are getting a ported tb, whether it be your stocker or aftermarket, do that intake swap while you are at it... like the other guys said, it will get you only like 5 more hp, hardly worth the money IMO... i ported my stock tb when i did my cam swap, helped a lil porting it but really worked good with my new fast intake!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ONLY car I may recommend leaving the screen in is a LT1 car that is a NON Ram Air and SS camaros As the intake track takes a hard right , and then into the motor. To me thats debatable. In LSx stuff and Ram Air Ws.6's they have a straight shot.

I have had my car tuned with it off and any competent tuner can compensate for that.

If a person elects to go for a FAST intake, go 90/90 at minmum, do not bother with the smaller (i think 78mm). When you do that sort of move, then look at a Nick Williams or Bluemaxx 90mm TB and your fine.

IF you were going from a LS1 to LS6, then a ported stocker or FAST 78mm TB could be of a benefit. The 90/90 set up is an investment and if your not looking at a Cam-only or more engine combo. Go LS6 maximum.

Last word on the MAF the messing with it that I am refering to is porting the ends or cutting out the middle bar to increase CFM, as the MAF has a set table, and if you exceed parameters, then it can throw everything else off. I.E. irratic idle, bad driveability.

Also Tuner MAF such as a SLP or LG can throw off a modifyed PCM tune, so it goes both ways.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:56 PM
12 Second Club

You can take the screen out if you want.

Dry n2o guys have to descreen it (that's why I did it and it still is unscreened)
The intake on f-bodies is a straight shot into the intake. There's really nothing to "straighten" out
LS6 MAFs don't even come with a screen. So unless you know something GMs engineers don't, I'd say descreening is fine.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

^^^^+1!
Old 07-28-2009, 02:51 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Maybe 5rwhp? Someones not getting a properly ported TB, Ive personally seen 6.6rwhp on a stone stock 98 M6 Formula(and as high as 12 on highly modded cars). Also, descreening isnt a big deal- Ive done tons of em out in parking lots without issue.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:15 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Bo White
Maybe 5rwhp? Someones not getting a properly ported TB, Ive personally seen 6.6rwhp on a stone stock 98 M6 Formula(and as high as 12 on highly modded cars). Also, descreening isnt a big deal- Ive done tons of em out in parking lots without issue.
Every car is different, and every dyno is different Bo. I know you do some good peices as I have personally seen 2 to 3 of them, and you getting higher then thats a great thing.

Just curious, what type of engine/drive train set up does it take to get that upper end hp number you have seen?

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 07-28-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:56 AM
Launching!

M6's will pick up more at the wheel due to less drivetrain loss.

Descreening is fine if you are tuning it at the same time it will throw things off. Messing with the maf in any way will throw things off. IF you cut the bar out of it it will throw things off. I do not recommend touching maf unless a tune is happening right afterwards. The maf doesn't care about a ported tb because the air still has to flow through it but when you start modifying it you loose transparency. Aftermarket ones are horrible for this and will mess up the cars driveability up.

An ls6 intake is fine if you are looking to be in the 500 hp area.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Every car is different, and every dyno is different Bo. I know you do some good peices as I have personally seen 2 to 3 of them, and you getting higher then thats a great thing.

Just curious, what type of engine/drive train set up does it take to get that upper end hp number you have seen?
Ive dynoed them all pretty much when it comes to drivetrain. The M6s do better but thats obvious. Any of the top TB porters should get the results that customers pay for.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ported tb is fine. if u want a used one get a stock truck one or a stock z06. under a 100 bucks and its a good upgrade
Old 07-29-2009, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

we're talking about maximum 5 hp gain... Will you feel 5 hp gain in an ls1 car? NO
Is spending 100 dollars worth it? NO
Do a cam, ls6 intake in your case... then you will feel difference. Just like some said, stock flows just fine...

speaking from past mistakes here
Old 07-29-2009, 08:02 AM
Internet Mechanic

The general rule for any SOTP feel is approx 10% gain. which for these cars could be between 27-32 hp. What people feel maybe is more throttle response. As for drivetrain, obvious the m6 has less of a loss but more to the point of the size of motor, cam, and heads. Before FAST was putting out a 90/90 set up a Ported TB pretty much was the only way, but now there are options.

Had this been 1997 and I just got my brand new LS1 Fbody, I would be pulling out the dremel and cleaning her up for sure. IMO LS6 intake is a great factory swap that looks stock and will clean up andy EGR crap.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by blackedout drop ls1
ported tb is fine. if u want a used one get a stock truck one or a stock z06. under a 100 bucks and its a good upgrade
The truck and Z06 TBs are 75mm just like the LS1.