Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheat questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheat questions

I have been having issues with my car overheating, lately. I took my radiator cap off to see if I had air in my system. I didn't see any bubbles while my car was running, so I don't think it is air. One thing I noticed, however, is the coolant level stayed at the top of the radiator the whole time I ran the car. I have an aftermarket water temp gauge in addition to my stock one. I let the temp get to about 210 degrees and still the coolant level didn't drop. I am thinking my stat is bad because the coolant level should drop and circulate through the engine when it reaches the stat temp, shouldn't it? I want to confirm my stat is bad, but I work early in the morning and my TA is my only mode of trans. I live less than a mile from work so the car won't get hot enough to overheat. The car has a motorad fail-safe stat. I have never heard of one of these failing so thats why I'm asking questions. Any replies will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just because you dont see bubbles when you take the cap off doesnt mean there isnt air in there. you need to bleed the system. if that doesnt help, try the t stat. if that still doesnt work, either your coolant or radiator is shot
Old 07-26-2009, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating

what vehicle?
what temps are you seeing?
how many miles?
whats the coolant condition?
your cooling system capacity should not change much and when it does your overflow will compensate. your cooling system also needs to be closed to reach operating temps and proper cooling. if you are suspecting a thermostat replace it. its the cheapest thing in your cooling system. i would make sure your radiator/condensor passage is free from obstruction, that the cooling fans are operating and no cooling system leaks that could cause belt to slip.