Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

confused on intake.....please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default confused on intake.....please help

OK i have a 01 Z28. I thought that 01's came with the LS6 style intake manifold but i just looked at the part number on mine and its 12560688 which is a LS1 intake part number.

The car doenst have EGR and the intake doesnt have the hookup for it but the part number is for the EGR intake. the build date is 3/01 am I just one of the unlucky people that got stuck with an LS1 intake in 2001?

Am i wrong about the part number or should i just start saving for a used 90/90?
Old 07-27-2009, 01:59 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MelScrilla
OK i have a 01 Z28. I thought that 01's came with the LS6 style intake manifold but i just looked at the part number on mine and its 12560688 which is a LS1 intake part number.

The car doenst have EGR and the intake doesnt have the hookup for it but the part number is for the EGR intake. the build date is 3/01 am I just one of the unlucky people that got stuck with an LS1 intake in 2001?

Am i wrong about the part number or should i just start saving for a used 90/90?
You need to look at the bottom of the intake, look at the pattern of the hatch marks. Part #'s may have changed mid year. Also there is a hump in the middle for the LS1, here are some links.

http://www.thedetailzone.com/LS6%20Intake.htm

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...s6-intake.html
Old 07-27-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
You need to look at the bottom of the intake, look at the pattern of the hatch marks. Part #'s may have changed mid year. Also there is a hump in the middle for the LS1, here are some links.

http://www.thedetailzone.com/LS6%20Intake.htm

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...s6-intake.html
i know this is gonna sound stupid but can you see the bottom of the intake while its on the car.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:23 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by MelScrilla
i know this is gonna sound stupid but can you see the bottom of the intake while its on the car.
No, since you cannot really get EYE level, also with foam pad, no light can really shine through.

Look at the coolant cross over line that is located between the cyl heads in the front. As the line connects the 2 heads, does it "T" in the middle and go under the intake?

LS1's had a line that connected the pair of cross overs by going under the intake where LS6 does not have the room to do that. So people either upgrade or modify to remove the middle peice.

The issue is that people who have upgraded, and then DE MODDED the car, that is quite possible.

The car could have had a LS6 on it and some person put a LS1 on there. The only big question is did GM sell a LS1 specific intake that was not drilled for EGR, and I do not beleive they did which leads me to beleive that since this was the year it changed, you could got a odd ball.

Those links require the removal.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That PN is definitely a LS1 intake with EGR - is it blocked off from the factory where the tube should attach? Something's not right, got a pic?
Old 07-27-2009, 02:55 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
That PN is definitely a LS1 intake with EGR - is it blocked off from the factory where the tube should attach? Something's not right, got a pic?
The way I am reading it is that the spot for the hole is untouched. Of the same meterial of the intake. ALL intakes still had the "raised" portion to show where it would need to be, but thats it.

Quick Reply: confused on intake.....please help