Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

performance chip worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance chip worth it?

i got a 01 t/a with lt headers, and a lid, and a cut out. and i was wondering if these performance chips are worth it. i've seen some for 60-70 bucks that say they will change your car dramatically. just curious whether or not to spend the money on one. if so any good ones i should look into?
Old 07-28-2009, 05:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These cars don't use a chip. You can get a hand-held tuner or have a custom tune done with a laptop and tuning software like HP Tuners. I would probably recommend the custom tune as it will be for your car rather than a generic tune with a hand-held. There are some companies that will do a custom tune and put it in a hand-held tuner for you to upload into your car as well. Feel free to give us a call if we can help at all!

Jon
Old 07-28-2009, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by linebacker50
i got a 01 t/a with lt headers, and a lid, and a cut out. and i was wondering if these performance chips are worth it. i've seen some for 60-70 bucks that say they will change your car dramatically. just curious whether or not to spend the money on one. if so any good ones i should look into?
Stay far away.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

tunes are like 400 bucks and I'd have to keep getting it re done everytime I end up adding to the car. I've heard the you can buy a software that you can use a laptop to tune it yourself. Good or bad idea? If its good what's a good one to get?
Old 07-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Teching In

believe that was already answered in the above response..."HP tuners"
Old 07-28-2009, 05:54 PM
FormerVendor

Not a bad idea to purchase your own but it is a lot to learn. We can do a mail tune for you for $225. We do offer free retunes as well for a year that way if you do make any changes to the car or want to adjust the tune, we can do that for you at not charge. If you have your own software it is nice since you can email the file to us rather than mailing the PCM in to us each time.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
Not a bad idea to purchase your own but it is a lot to learn. We can do a mail tune for you for $225. We do offer free retunes as well for a year that way if you do make any changes to the car or want to adjust the tune, we can do that for you at not charge. If you have your own software it is nice since you can email the file to us rather than mailing the PCM in to us each time.
dude i need mine tuned but live in indiana, and dont know what you mean by email tune,, unless i misunderstood
Old 07-29-2009, 02:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002TransAm, Rachel
dude i need mine tuned but live in indiana, and dont know what you mean by email tune,, unless i misunderstood
A lot of companies offer a mail order tune. You send them the computer out of your car and they tune it. Or if you have HPTuners/EFILive you can email the stock file and they will edit it.

I bought HPTuners and it is definitely a lot to learn.

In my opinion, if you plan on modding your car more, wait for a tune later and get a dynotune. Right now with you having just headers and a lid, your car shouldn't be running too bad. The only tuning my car has is to adjust for the bigger torque converter and injectors and I'm about to hit 10s
Old 07-29-2009, 03:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not in my opinion
Old 07-29-2009, 10:57 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 2002TransAm, Rachel
Like mentioned above, you would have to purchase the tuning software and you can email the file out of the car to us and we will make the changes and email it back for you to upload in the car.

The nice thing about free retunes for a year is if you want to make small changes to dial in the driveability you can make those changes without paying for another tune. Also, say we tune a bolt-on car and the customer adds a cam 6-months down the road, he just send the PCM back and to us and we can make the changes at no charge other than shipping. Same goes for converter, heads, stroker, etc. If the customer chooses at the end of that year, they can renew for another year at $100. If you actually use the retunes it works to be a really good deal!

Jon
Old 09-20-2009, 11:31 AM

Don't waste your money on these. I was thinking about getting a performance chip too, but it looks like these things don't do crap. I was reading this performance chip article about it, and it looks like these things don't work at all

Last edited by bimmer4life2009; 09-21-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am sure thats one of those "ebay" performance chips that you wire into your IAT sensor that makes it read a lower air temp to advance your timing. I wouldnt do it.

Quick Reply: performance chip worth it?