Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FTRA and cut-out questions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedamageinc
Even if the ram air scoop does make a few extra horses, thats not whats allowing you to outrun anyone, it takes more than just a ram air and we are talking mods on a budget, there is always some way to sqeeze some more power out but it may not be as cost efficient as another mod.
You don't think? I've seen 2 cars just about identical 02 WS6 M6s under 10k miles each. Both with a similar exhaust, one with a K&N FIPK and the other with a Lid/FTRA and nothing else. From a roll they were dead even through 1st and 2nd, but in 3rd the FTRA would literally pull away. 2-3 car lengths in 3rd. Done over and over again.

What would you attribute those wins too? Magic beans?
Old 08-26-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's 01WS6
Go measure the area of the hole on the throttle body and the area of the slot in the stock airbox, its bigger, so where is your restriction.
how can you argue that THIS:

is equal to THIS:

YES the stock intake setup WILL allow enough air in to let the engine run just fine. an ssra or ftra will simply make it easier for the engine to get air at higher speeds. instead of having to suck all of it's air in, it's right there waiting.

if eliminating the silencers and tiny ridges in the stock airbox will free up power, how can you argue that giving it a direct and forced entrance into the airbox itself will not?

we are talking mods on a budget, there is always some way to sqeeze some more power out but it may not be as cost efficient as another mod.
i got mine for $50. didn't really believe the claimed gains but i figured for the price i would just try it and could always just resell it for a profit. i installed it, and it will never come off. $ per $ value i won't argue that it's #1 but it does indeed work, and quite well.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
You don't think? I've seen 2 cars just about identical 02 WS6 M6s under 10k miles each. Both with a similar exhaust, one with a K&N FIPK and the other with a Lid/FTRA and nothing else. From a roll they were dead even through 1st and 2nd, but in 3rd the FTRA would literally pull away. 2-3 car lengths in 3rd. Done over and over again.

What would you attribute those wins too? Magic beans?
HaHa you got any magic beans? For that comparison to be accurate they would have to switch intakes and do some more runs.

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
i got mine for $50. didn't really believe the claimed gains but i figured for the price i would just try it and could always just resell it for a profit. i installed it, and it will never come off. $ per $ value i won't argue that it's #1 but it does indeed work, and quite well.
Thats cool that you got a deal on it, but I never said that it doesnt work at all, it just wouldnt be the first thing I buy. The OP wanted suggestions for his budget and that was it.

I've been thinking about a ram air set up myself, but one that doesnt take from the radiator/condensor, even though it is reportedly not a problem I'd just rather another way. Plus I have ram air thru my hood so I'm not too concerned with it anyway. Cutting a hole in a piece of plastic is an easy way to get a little extra flow and still can closed up later if I wanted to.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Junkie

HaHa you got any magic beans? For that comparison to be accurate they would have to switch intakes and do some more runs.
I would say that since both cars were even through 1st and 2nd (where the ram air doesn't have much effect) that it is a decent comparison of power gained at speed.

Here's another fact. We put the FTRA on that car but cut the hole too big in the airbox so we couldn't really seal it up. Out of about 15 passes at the track it averaged 13.3s, with a best of 13.2 all at 108-109mph. The next weekend, in the same weather with the airbox completely sealed up it averaged 13.1-13.2 With a best of 13.006@111 backed up with a 13.06, MPH was 110-111 all night. 60's were pretty much the same 2.1-2.2 on both weekends.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Thats cool that you got a deal on it, but I never said that it doesnt work at all, it just wouldnt be the first thing I buy. The OP wanted suggestions for his budget and that was it.
haha okay. not the first thing i'd buy either, but i do think it's a pretty good product though that yields solid results.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Somewhere around here Patrick G posted that he tested before/after with the FTRA and found that at speeds above 140 (I think?) the MAP reading was 3-5kPa higher than without the FTRA. IIRC the MAP difference was negligible below that speed. So it does provide a mild supercharging effect, but at those high speeds you need good cooling too... and with it blocking so much of the radiator I'm not convinced the FTRA is good for high speed cruising/racing.

I can't imagine how to 1) keep the air intake at the aeordynamic dead spot (where the air is forced to split left and right) on the front bumper, 2) keep the front bumper functional, and 3) provide adequate airflow across the radiator at high speeds and/or with the A/C on in high ambient temps. I'd love to see an artists rendering

With that said, I have one installed, and I'm only seeing the cooling and possible water intrusion problems and not the benefits because I rarely drive speeds necessary to see it's advantages.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

throw some pacesetter lts on there for 300-400 bucks and you will be very happy!
Old 08-31-2009, 01:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT buy a FTRA. I installed one on my SS and had zero gains at the track. It is not worth it.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got mine for free. It was worth it.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I spent a lot of time building my custom ram air setup in hopes of gaining a few mph. I even cut out the lower bracket that blocks flow. In 3800 + DA i ran 115 mph wihtout the ram air setup. Now with the ram air I have ran at the track 3 weekends in a row ranging from 2800 DA to 3200 DA and my best so far has been 113 mph also down 2 mph in the 1/8. I have tried several ways of sealing the thing up and have had no luck. This friday I am going to make a few passes with it sealed up, unsealed, and than I will completely remove it. I have been going insane, did a compression check, new plugs, fuel filter constantly tuning and have not gained the claimed 1-2 mph. Also I used to run at 190 degrees down the freeway, now I cannot keep it below 220 with the ac on. Sorry I really wish it worked but it hasn't for me, maybe because I have an SS and the SS hood scoop was actually opened up and sealed to the airbox?

Old 09-01-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ i think you need to add some type of scoop at the bottom. right now the opening is perpendicular to the ground and flow of air. the SSRA for example curves forward at the bottom, so air flows straight in as it travels under the car. there's nothing really directing air into your setup.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

It's similar to the FTRA in shape. I've tried my homemade one with a big scoop and without, no difference either way. Maybe is it causing tuning issues? AFR and KR the same as they were before?

I might can see if you didn't gain, but you surely wouldn't lose especially in less DA.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The lower air dam should be directing all the air it needs into the scoop. I have not given up on it because above 60 mph I gain 1-2 kpa on my map reading vs 1st gear map readings. I may have lost too much air in 1st gear that I cannot make up the difference now to the 1/8th mile. I have played with afr, installed a shift light, timing all sorts of things to try and get my 115mph back, but if I am down in the 1/8th its hard to gain it all back by the 1/4. My opening is bigger than the FTRA setup also so I do not understand.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sorry guys but I trapped 116 without the SSRA, and then 116 with it. If someone really likes this and wants it, It's yours for $100 shipped.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by PowerShift408
I'm sorry guys but I trapped 116 without the SSRA, and then 116 with it. If someone really likes this and wants it, It's yours for $100 shipped.
What was the weather for both runs? I've ran 113mph with manifolds and stock cats and now I'm running 113mph with headers and no cats. Should I claim that headers are no good?
Old 09-01-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

The DA was within 100 feet between the passes. I made passes where the SSRA trapped less due to heat/humidity, but I didn't mention those as it is an unfair comparison.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this Chrs1313's take on it?
Old 09-01-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Junkie

The DA was within 100 feet between the passes. I made passes where the SSRA trapped less due to heat/humidity, but I didn't mention those as it is an unfair comparison.
I find that actual temp matters more than overall DA. Especially if it's track temp is hot and the ram air is pulling that hot air right off of the track.

Originally Posted by lemons12
Is this Chrs1313's take on it?
Chrs1313's take would involve his lab testing and factual evidence from a totally unrelated car setup.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, it is the SSRA bought from LMPerformance.com. It is pretty much the FTRA made out of plastic.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
I find that actual temp matters more than overall DA. Especially if it's track temp is hot and the ram air is pulling that hot air right off of the track.

Chrs1313's take would involve his lab testing and factual evidence from a totally unrelated car setup.
Well last time out, it was about 65-70 degrees. I had the SSRA installed and ran identically to what the car ran a couple of months earlier, without the SSRA installed and the outside temp being at least 10 degrees higher.

Quick Reply: FTRA and cut-out questions?