Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compatable with FIPK

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 12:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compatable with FIPK

I apologize in advance if this seems similar to other posts, but I have spent the last five hours doing various searches and nothing quite answered my question. I have a 2000 WS6 A4 and I just finished installing the K&N FIPK intake. I haven't done any other mods yet, though I'm probably going to order a Predator and a ported MAF end next.

My issue is that I have read a lot about getting better air to the FIPK, but I'm not sure which items are compatible. It seems like the SLP and Fast Toys intakes would not work because the mounting plate of the FIPK would block their flow. Is this a simple matter of cutting a hole in the bottom of the plate, or would it require a ton of fabricating and probably not be worth the time, or is it just not possible?

The other, probably more sensible, route would be to get the BG or JAAM Ram Air systems for the WS6 hood, but again, I'm not certain they will fit correctly with the FIPK. Would either of these work, which is better, and are there any other options out there that might be even better (and where can I get them)?

Hoping to get about 20hp just with some quick intake bolt-ons and the tuner...unreasonable?
Old 08-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

You're concern over the quality of air your engine is receiving thru the FIPK is well-founded. I had that set-up on my car. By design, the FIPK is relegated to ingest that hot underhood air. When I ditched the FIPK in favor of the FTRA, there was a considerable drop in the IAT readings. The FTRA is designed to operate with the factory air box base, but the FIPK eliminates it. The only simple way I can see for you to possibly get cooler air in would be to cut a hole in the metal plate that your filter lays on.....the one that comes with the kit, and is positioned on top of your radiator. That may help some. In my case, I simply chose to get rid of it in favor of a cold air set-up. It would seem that the FIPK is capable of ingesting a considerable amount of air, but the real problem is the temperature of the air it is ingesting. If I was in your position(which I was), I would attempt to sell it, and replace it with a better cold air set-up(which I did). Good luck with your project.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the FIPK and I cut a hole in the radiator support that comes with the kit. I cut a rectangelar hole about 4" wide and 10 " long right under the filter. I then added a fine screen mesh to act as a filter. You can see the radiater through the screen. Some say that it sucks hot air off the radiator and that may be true when the car is sitting still but when the car is moving fresh air flows up the radiator through the hole to the filter. My tuner said it was the best set-up he has seen.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FST SS
I have the FIPK and I cut a hole in the radiator support that comes with the kit. I cut a rectangelar hole about 4" wide and 10 " long right under the filter. I then added a fine screen mesh to act as a filter. You can see the radiater through the screen. Some say that it sucks hot air off the radiator and that may be true when the car is sitting still but when the car is moving fresh air flows up the radiator through the hole to the filter. My tuner said it was the best set-up he has seen.

lets see a pic!
Old 08-27-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

I was asked before to post pics. I will try and borrow a camera, I know, everyone should have a camera, I don't even have a PC...I use the one at work (what I'm doing now). I know I'm the last guy on earth without a PC but hey...I got an LS-1
Old 08-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Teching In

What kind of results have you seen with that set-up, and have you thought about combining it with the FTRA or SLP CAI to get even better air flow? Any other quick mods you've done that gave you noticeable gains?
Old 08-27-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

You can cut the baffles out of your WS6 hood also.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by redwunz
What kind of results have you seen with that set-up, and have you thought about combining it with the FTRA or SLP CAI to get even better air flow? Any other quick mods you've done that gave you noticeable gains?
I origionally had a lid and did the free ram air mod where you cut a hole in the plastic underneath the filter, that's what gave me the idea to cut the hole in the radiator support that comes with the FIPK kit. I'm not really sure which system works the best but with the FIPK filter I can hear the TB sucking air at WOT and with the lid I couldn't. I personally like the looks of the FIPK filter better than a lid. There's probably not 2 hp difference in either system, just which one you like the best.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:38 AM
Teching In

I origionally had a lid and did the free ram air mod where you cut a hole in the plastic underneath the filter, that's what gave me the idea to cut the hole in the radiator support that comes with the FIPK kit. I'm not really sure which system works the best but with the FIPK filter I can hear the TB sucking air at WOT and with the lid I couldn't. I personally like the looks of the FIPK filter better than a lid. There's probably not 2 hp difference in either system, just which one you like the best.
I had been thinking about doing just that and adding in the SLP CAI or FTRA...would I be better off just saving my money, or would those help out? Also, any opinions on the effectiveness of a new MAF end piece?
Old 08-28-2009, 07:02 AM
TECH Regular

save your money. and I believe the stock MAF is good up to 500 hp.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:47 AM
11 Second Club

dont waste your time with a maf end. I got a fipk last week in my quest for a better fitting setup. I have a n20 plate that makes fitting a lid i pita. Literally my maf sensor was below and into my throttle body. The k&n fits nice, and i didnt even have to cut the tubing. I will be out this weekend doing some data logs to note the iat temps. If they are hotter i will modify the lower plate to get more cold air in.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have an fipk on my car as well, came with it so im not going to complain. i like the way it looks, and so far performs.

i just think K&N didnt take the next step to make this setup perform as well as it could, maybe manufacturing costs, or just in a hurry.

one thing im thinking of doing is building a box around the filter with some kind of weather stripping that will seal up against the hood when it closes (ws6 of course). basically 2 pieces of iron on both sides and the back with weather strip on top.

and the next idea combined with this is to cut the whole beneath the filter. and for a truely badass ram air setup maybe try and fab something into the fog lights. theres a little room around the lights, but it would ensure the air going in your motor is cold, for sure. idk how this would be accomplished, but with some thougth and ingenuity, i think it could be done.

i think it would make the setup outperform a lid, and truely make the car ram air.