Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new guy needs some help

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question new guy needs some help

hey guys i just got a 98 z28 and ive been reading these forums looking looking for advice, ive got a couple questions

1.Ive been looking into the free mods and i think ill leave my maf alone, but i think i wanna cut the egr tube that hangs down into the TB, is this a decent mod and i do have to pass smog will this mod prevent me from passing? also i want to do the FRAM but i can see no downsides to that one other than a dirty filter right?

2.ive seen camaros with a grille that is painted the color of the car and also doesnt have the little slats on the sides like my stock one does, where can i get one of these?

3.I have an automatic and im not too fond of the shifter handle, is mine removable to replace with a better looking one?

4. ok last one, i want to get some chrome C5 5 spoke rims, i was thinking 17's but i know they have 17x8.5 and 9.5 what will fit and be good on my car or should i be looking for 18's and what is a good tire size?

sry for so many questions, any help that you can offer is much appreciated
Old 11-27-2003, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First Congrats on your recent purchase !!
The EGR mod is one of those can't hurt mods. It will take longer to get the tools together than it will to do the Mod, it's that easy !! Should not be a problem with a smog test. And yes the only downside to the FRA is it dirty's the Filter quicker, And stay away from deep puddles.
Old 11-27-2003, 12:21 PM
Teching In

thanks for your help ls1w66
Old 11-27-2003, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

Welcome!
I can't answer all your questions, but heres a few.
The egr mod is very easy and will not effect any emissions testing.
I would also go with the throttle body coolant line bypass.
The grille is made by wings west, check out the sponsors (lm performance for one) and for pictures and prices.
Don't know about changing the shifter handle, I doubt it though.
The wheels should fit fine. You might want to post in the wheels section for advice from people who have them.
The ram air mod, or the fast times ram air setup works great, and does make a difference. You can pick up a K&N for about $30 in the for sale section of this list. The gains from the K&N are questionable, but not having to replace it makes it worthwhile to have one.
There is also a big club in Vegas, the Las Vegas F body association I believe. Check in the west coast enthusiasts section for info. They will be able to give you plenty of local help and advice.
Welcome to the family...enjoy your car.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:32 AM
Teching In

thanks guys appreciate the help
Old 11-29-2003, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think your talking about the grille thats under the stock one....if you take off the stock black grille and fill and paint the holes underneath it, you get a perfect "CAMARO" grill with no slats.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do the EGR mod, it couldnt hurt, Also you are talking about the wings west grille insert, if you dont want to fool with painting the stocker, I would go with the WW one, you can get a set of "Camaro" letters from MBA and it looks just like you have the stocker. Good Luck man

WeS
Old 11-30-2003, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

congrats on the purchase, i too am new the to ls1 cars just purchased a 98 z28 in september. first thing i did was looked up all the free mods. picke dout which ones i thought i could do and had help with i think two others. i did the free ram air mod, egr mod, and the skip shift mod. they are all relatively easy and do a search alot of guys have posted great instructions for those of us who aren't really familiar with ls1's or mechanically inclined. but just to note, first off you have an auto you wont need the skip shift mod obviously but with the free ram air mod if you get some dough get that fast toys ram air kit, all i can say is WOW. well worth it, and there have been some posts how to prevent water getting in there, but honestly its relatively easy to remove if its gonna rain for a few days. the egr mod, once you have the tools it takes just a few moments. i did an emissions test even at my buddies shop, no problems with that at all. the tb by pass instructions can be a bit deceiving. its very simple just take your time and make sure you have the right peices to go with it. i even think a few of the sponsers sell a sorta kit for this mod.
and if you get a chance and want to be pleasantly suprised go get your car dynoed before you do any of this stuff, these cars are soo underrated its not even funny. and each mod i've done, i have had access to use a dyno and each little thingonly improves the car. congrats again and best of luck with the car.
travis