Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

forced induction

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default forced induction

okay so what im wondering is, i know that normally when you wanna add a power adder and make any sort of power you normally have your block machined out to at least a 347....what the noob question is, i have only 35k on my motor, run synthetic oil, i dk, i just doubt my cylinder walls need much clean up, can i just buy forged parts for the block and put them in as is? im not too serious about it right now, its just something iv wondered...thanks
Old 09-21-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you'll be fine as long as you get the appropriate supporting mods, a good tune and don't over-boost.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Regular

assuming it had all quality internals tho it could probably boost a lot right?
Old 09-21-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NAAllTheWay
okay so what im wondering is, i know that normally when you wanna add a power adder and make any sort of power you normally have your block machined out to at least a 347....what the noob question is, i have only 35k on my motor, run synthetic oil, i dk, i just doubt my cylinder walls need much clean up, can i just buy forged parts for the block and put them in as is? im not too serious about it right now, its just something iv wondered...thanks
35K miles and using synthetic doesn't mean you can skip cleaning up the block. New rings need freshly honed cylinders to seat properely. You can do just a light hone and use 346 forged pistion. Also I would use arp main cap studs witch need to have an align hone done to the bearings (new). One thing to keep in mine, you will have the engine out and already will have alot of money in to it, don't skimp on a few $100 to do it right. Do it once and forget about it. One thing I have learned about forced induction is... It's not cheap and boost is very addictive, I'm already gathering parts for this winters quest for more power
Old 09-21-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

yea i gotcha, if i had to hone it at all i would just do a 383 or 408 iron block, i just didnt know if it would be a problem for the rings to seat if the car had that low of miles and properly maintained, thanks for the info