New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros and Cons of Exhaust systems

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros and Cons of Exhaust systems

I was all set to add headers (Hooker longtubes) and a Borla catback to my stock 2000 WS6. Then I started reading here... you guys have too much knowledge!!!

Which is better, and why...

Add longtube headers and Borla (I like the sound)

or

Add long tube headers and true dual exhaust all the back, plus whatever mufflers

or either of the above along with cutouts

???

As noted, I was all set to go the simple route of headers and Borla, but now I am not sure. My car is a stock 2000 WS6, has 61,000 miles give or take. I would like to push it towards the 400 HP range, but not necessarily make it a drag racer. Just a daily driver with some more get up and go so to speak...

And I assume I will need to find a performance shop for a tune once the mods are done.

Forgive the newb posts by me, still trying to wrap myhead around the numerous variants available, and weight the benefits vs overkill for me.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only Con of having a tru dual system is that you will sacrifice ground clearance especially if you are lowered.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:48 PM

I just read the "So you wanna be fast write up". Pretty good stuff in there.

My car is not lowered, so the true dual would not be a problem in that regard. Considerign I am not looking for a drag racer, is there an appreciable gain between the two? By that I mean I will not be building a monster car, so is a true dual exhaust an overkill since I probably won't be making the HP to take advantage of it completely?

And is there a reaason to get the cutouts/dumps?
Old 09-22-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I agree the only con with true duals is ground clearance. IMO true duals out the back are the way to go. I have that same setup as you described. I did add a h pipe to them to take away the drone I put. 2 (1 on each side) magnaflow bullets 2.5 in pipe all the way back and sounds amazing through all rpms. WOT is pure sex and it dynoed 340rwhp 350 torque with full exhaust and lid on the stock tune.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally like my Corsa set up off of the Catted "Y" pipe from Dynatech, the set up is pricey persay to a dual set up but again depends on if you do your own work and who your buying the parts from.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you should replace your motor mounts when you're getting the headers done.
it would be a serious pain in the *** to try and install them when the headers are on as compared to when they're already off the motor.
reason for this is on stock motor mounts, a lot of people have problems with the y-pipe (assuming you're not using the stock flattened y) hitting the driver's side floorboard when you get on the gas and the engine torques over.
best solution for this seems to be to get poly motor mounts.

if you're really not going to lower it, i'd go with true duals (like this http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=196&catid=46 ).
Old 09-22-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
you should replace your motor mounts when you're getting the headers done.
it would be a serious pain in the *** to try and install them when the headers are on as compared to when they're already off the motor.
reason for this is on stock motor mounts, a lot of people have problems with the y-pipe (assuming you're not using the stock flattened y) hitting the driver's side floorboard when you get on the gas and the engine torques over.
best solution for this seems to be to get poly motor mounts.

if you're really not going to lower it, i'd go with true duals (like this http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=196&catid=46 ).

I thought about going this route with that TSP kit. I didnt because 1. I dont think I would like the TD dumps, rather have them come out back. 2. At the bottom of the page, it says not compatible with body mount torque arm setups, & I do have a tunnel brace mounted TA that seems it might interfere. I just got the GMMG catback & am very pleased with the sound & performance.

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of Exhaust systems