Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cut and Paste Exhaust, need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cut and Paste Exhaust, need help

I have a bone stock exhaust as of now, but I want to upgrade it.

I was thinking about...

Pacesetter Ceramic Coated LT Headers
TSP ORY
Hooker muffler
Hooker header collector extension
3" exhaust tubing
Thunderbolt cats

My plan is...

I want to have interchangeable pipes with the cats and the 3" tubing. Is this easy? There is plenty of straight pipe on the TSP ORY as is, so maybe I can cut the length needed to fit the cats, then clamp them down, and if I wanted higher flow, go to the straight pipes? Has anyone done this? I'm worried about my NC inspection next year, and also when I move to MA, they are gonna be a PITA about having cats.

I was going to cut the I-pipe at the stock muffler, clamp in the Hooker extension, bolt it to the Hooker muffler, and then cut and clamp on the stock tailpipes to the Hooker muffler.

I would have a straight through exhaust going into the Hooker muffler, or one with cats going into the muffler. I could change my sound no problem, even in under an hour if I got tickets or complaints from my Military Installation.

Does this seem like a plan? I'll take pics when I do it all, so people can see what I'm up to.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just get some high flow cats, they wont rob more than 4-5 hp at the most. OR if you are really that worried about it, get some cutouts before the cats, but you'll likely burn up your O2's. If NC only does an OBDII scan, then just get the rear O2's deleted with a tune and you wont need cats at all.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

I have my AIR, EGR, and rear O2s tuned out already. I would go ORY, but I'm afraid the exhaust is going to be too loud. $220 more for the TSP catted-Y seems a little steep. If the cats weren't welded I might go for it. Do any of our sponsors offer a catted-Y at a decent price? Or will my cut and paste method work?