New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

150 mph Trap Speed !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh yeh and your friends maverik... its tubbed right? he runs BIG meats at the track... thats why he runs 8's(i would also venture to say he probably dont have much of a interior and maybe a tubilar chassie???
Old 12-06-2003, 12:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm saying:
$15k on a motor
$10k on a custom turbo set up
and then another $5-7k for tranny/rear/odds and ends...

its possible...i guess, but still not a sleeper nor close to being a DD...
Old 12-06-2003, 02:46 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
hold on dr your saying a guy that has 30k to blow (on top of already having the car) has unrealistic dreams of a low 9 sec street car???
Street car and daily driver are two different things. A 427 car with twin turbos in the rain... I hope you have a really delicate right foot.. Cuz you'd have to be REAL easy on the gas.

I personally think you either gotta make a daily driver, or you gotta make a 9-second car. One or the other. Can't really do both well.

And the Maverick.. It's tubbed. E/T Streets. Back seat is gone and not much interior. Reinforced stock chassis, though. He *does* drive it on the street, and it's "legal" as far as cars go. Valid plates on it.

You wouldn't even THINK of daily driving it, though.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
Street car and daily driver are two different things. A 427 car with twin turbos in the rain... I hope you have a really delicate right foot.. Cuz you'd have to be REAL easy on the gas.

I personally think you either gotta make a daily driver, or you gotta make a 9-second car. One or the other. Can't really do both well.

And the Maverick.. It's tubbed. E/T Streets. Back seat is gone and not much interior. Reinforced stock chassis, though. He *does* drive it on the street, and it's "legal" as far as cars go. Valid plates on it.

You wouldn't even THINK of daily driving it, though.
but thats what i am saying the guy asking this post imho doesn't want a tubbed stripped drag only car in discise...
he wants a full leather,cdplayer sound deadening material in place street car...
and you can edit your throtle postion sencer to not make the car super sencitive...
and you are forgeting that big turbos have to spool up to make big numbers so if he is keeping the rmps low then it will have verynice street manners...
the things that make most 8 sec cars none drivable on the street is

1 loud loud loud..(but this does not aply due to the silent nature of a turbo car

2. monster tubbed tires with skinneys in front do not make for fun handling

3. race seats are not nice on the back

4. it stalls out 7-8 times due to size of cam...

none of these things would aplly to this car... it would not be tubbed
it could wear stock rubber anytime he wants...
it would not have race seats
it would not stall because the cam dont have to be as huge with turbo motor

it would not run 8's but it would put down 140+ traps....
Old 12-06-2003, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, something i think you guys are forgetting in terms of traction in the rain... he could always make it an auto in which case he would of course need a large stall and voila, problem with wet traction solved as long as he doesnt punch it. only drawback would be how much it guzzles which wouldn't be much diff with a manual trans anyway.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:13 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Count me in the "I'll believe it when I see it" category.
Old 12-07-2003, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

I like what jaberwaki is saying, although not very realistic, still sounds like it would be pretty cool, the only problem with the sequential turbos would be that by the time you would be hitting the second turbo would it be ready to actually kick anything out? those things take a second to be ready to push anything. Then another problem with that is when you are ready to start using all that power I hope you have a lot of electronics ready to control all of this crap. then youhave to look at the saftey switched for the nitrous and the window switch, etc. It all sounds fine and dandy until you look at all the extra costs of the smaller stuff it would take to build this thing.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by z289899
I like what jaberwaki is saying, although not very realistic, still sounds like it would be pretty cool, the only problem with the sequential turbos would be that by the time you would be hitting the second turbo would it be ready to actually kick anything out? those things take a second to be ready to push anything. Then another problem with that is when you are ready to start using all that power I hope you have a lot of electronics ready to control all of this crap. then youhave to look at the saftey switched for the nitrous and the window switch, etc. It all sounds fine and dandy until you look at all the extra costs of the smaller stuff it would take to build this thing.

good points... but a good stand alone fuel system with nitrouse mastermind should take care of all of the above probs...
Old 12-09-2003, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

What do you mean exactly? To have the nitrous help out while the turbos spool up? Then provide a bigger shoy up top? That might do it!
Old 12-09-2003, 09:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys dont realize how much money and work goes in to those Supras for one, they are big dollar cars. Its not easy to get a car to trap 150. You can sit here and think of xyz thats going to make the power on the dyno, but to get it to hook up and run down the track is a different thing. Lot of you guys really need to come to these F-body shoot outs, it'll put thing in to perspective on how much time, money and effort it takes to get a car down the track thats making that kind of power.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:01 AM
On The Tree

I think I'm going to have to agree with Bizzzatch and Dr Evyl. No one is saying you can't trap an F-body at 150mph...but you have to be somewhat practical. Sometimes I read through the exhaust threads, and some guys with heads/cam and turndowns before the axle can't bear the sound of the exhaust under normal driving conditions. That's probably making 425rwhp. Imagine your car was making 800+hp. I don't know what the cops are like in your neighborhood, but that definitely won't get you on their good side.

One point I did want to make(and it may be somewhat of a contradiction):
What kind of trap speeds is John Lingenfelter getting on his TT 427 Vettes? I know he had them running low 9s, high 8s..and claimed them to be very streetable. But I don't know if $30K will get the job done.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:09 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well one thing you also gotta keep in mind is cost, 30K isnt going to cut it. The record holder wheel to wheel Trans Am cost to the tune of 220K to build. Trying to get a car to run that fast is going to add up real quick. A car that traps 150mph runs on race gas, thats whats going to limit you on daily driving it, also its going to be on big slicks, its also going to need to be light. NHRA rules mandate its going to ave to have a cage and a lot of other saftey equipment. Any case, I encourage any of you to come out to the shoot outs, it'll really put things in perspective.

Also 4L80Es weigh a ton, car like that has no need for over drive, cars that fast usally run TH400s or power glides.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:48 AM
11 Second Club

he didn't say he wanted to hold any records...

as far as being loud, have you ever heard a big turbo car??? they are quiet, tt ligenfilters sound dam near stock! he has those running 9's .the turbo set up he uses could be put together for much less then he charges and they are streetable.
ford 9 inch 1800
dennys steel drive shaft 400
ati prepped th400 1400
full slick mickeys 500
cage from tysons 600
spoon tq arm 350?
sfc 200
lca 200
stb 150
panhard 150
kmember 450
draglights 1800