Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfire and car won't down shift

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire and car won't down shift

I have a 99 Z28. The car ran fine until I put headers on it now it won't down shift around the 70 mph mark like it used to. The guy that installed them took the coils and plugs off when he put them on. I have a diablo tuner and it says that I have misfires on all cylinders. Could this just be plugs, plug wires, coils, or something else?
Old 10-04-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by krunk99cam
I have a 99 Z28. The car ran fine until I put headers on it now it won't down shift around the 70 mph mark like it used to. The guy that installed them took the coils and plugs off when he put them on. I have a diablo tuner and it says that I have misfires on all cylinders. Could this just be plugs, plug wires, coils, or something else?
He probably didn't snap the plug wires on all the way. Happens all the time when guys put on headers.

Pull the plug wires off completely and reinstall them. You should get one "snap" when you put the plug wire on the spark plug, and two "clicks" when you put the wires on the coils. If they only click onto the coils once, they aren't all the way on.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad you posted this. I've ran into the same problem recently too.