New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

royal purple oil ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Ive used about every synthetic, including the more expensive amsoil..Im currently using QHorsepower w/ a Delco Filter. As long as you change it when you need to any should offer good protection, just stay away from Fram filters.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Shell Helix, Not sure if you Guys in America get that over there?
Old 10-31-2009, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

I neraly bought a Fram Filter until i read your post, No good?
Old 11-02-2009, 08:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil filters revealed

Read ^^^ this. It will explain all you need to know about FRAM. They are much worse when mounted horizontally as they allow the oil to drain back when the engine is not runninc causing dry start after dry start. Other than that, the internal quality is just poor.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Teching In

5.5 Quarts. I run royal purple in everything i own, my bike, my truck, and my car. Its quality stuff. I use there engine oil, trans fluid, and diff fluid. All quality, and you get what you pay for.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not saying RP is bad, I've used the stuff before, but I have yet to see anything legitimately prove that it is a better oil than something like the German Castrol. I'm not trying to tell people that they should go with some cheapo Coastal oil or something like that though.

The only thing that I've heard that can be backed up is that the service interval on the oil is something like 12,000 miles, but there are other oils that can do that and don't cost over $8 a quart. And, most car guys (myself included) probably change their oil way too often to be able to take advantage of a longer service interval.

I think the reason a lot of people think their car "runs better" on RP or any other high performance oil is because odds are they paid a lot of money for it and that has some sway on how you feel about it.

Basically, it's all a lot of marketing and hype. There's nothing wrong with RP stuff, but it's not going to make your car any faster, and most likely any changes regarding starting or engine noise could be attributed more to the oil weight than the brand.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ I understand what you are saying, but did you ever see the segment they did on horsepower tv, where they tested the oil.. I forget the gains, but I want to say it was around 10 to 15hp by changing the motor oil, trans, and diff.

Im not saying I really get any gains, Its just my motor has ran great since ive used it and when i tore it down, it was in great shape after hard miles I gave it.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fbodyman1026
LOL^^^ Btw the thinner the better on start up and if you going to spend that kind of money on oil don't waste it on RP and their marketing BS. Buy German Castrol which has been a proven performer for our cars.
Listen to this guy! Unfortunately they don't carry this around my area anymore so I use Pennzoil Platinum which is really really good.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:17 AM
Banned

was a mobil 1 fan but now switched to valvoline synpower cheaper and better then mobil 1
Old 11-07-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnLs1camaro
^ I understand what you are saying, but did you ever see the segment they did on horsepower tv, where they tested the oil.. I forget the gains, but I want to say it was around 10 to 15hp by changing the motor oil, trans, and diff.
I did see that episode, and all of the fluids they drained out were flat out nasty and well beyond needing to be changed. There was a big deal about that shortly after they did it, because when the fluids are that bad, it's the fact that you're just changing the fluids, not necessarily that you're going to RP.

Quick Reply: royal purple oil ?'s