Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing pilot bearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing pilot bearing

Trying to replace the pilot bearing and having a difficult time. Rented this (pilot bearing specific) removal tool from Advance and all it did was slide over the bearing ,the jaws on the puller don't grip around the back of the bearing, they just press out on the inside of it. Wondering about the "pack with greese and pressure it out", has anyone had success with that or should I look for another type tool?
Thanks
Old 10-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deelli
Trying to replace the pilot bearing and having a difficult time. Rented this (pilot bearing specific) removal tool from Advance and all it did was slide over the bearing ,the jaws on the puller don't grip around the back of the bearing, they just press out on the inside of it. Wondering about the "pack with greese and pressure it out", has anyone had success with that or should I look for another type tool?
Thanks
DO NOT Pack with Grease, you will push the plug into the motor, You NEED a puller.

I have used both the ones with the jaws and honestly did not work. The other tool that worked best was a Slide Hammer with a Hook. It destroys the bearing but your going to replace anyways. Use some lithium grease and a similar sized socket that will rest on the edge of the bearing to tap it in.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:32 PM
Teching In

I just bought the one from Harbor Freight. It needs a little grinding on the jaws to get them all in a seated correctly, but it worked like a charm. It is a puller type, not a slide hammer attachment.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I took a solid steel rod, welded a small plate on the end, in order to hit with a hammer. Then I inserted it into the center of the pilot bearing, and welded about halfway around. Then I whacked the plate at the other end with a mini sledge. Worked like a charm
Old 10-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks to all for the help.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since your not reusing it, destroy it, use a screwdriver like a chissel,,,, if im wrong someone say, havnt done it myself