Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 12:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 help?

im new to the ls family i have a 5.3 in my 05 silverado and im curious what parts were interchangeable with other ls engines ie could i use and ls6 intake or could i use a stock ls1 cam ect ect im trying to just do some bold on for not a lot of money maybe use stock parts for other ls engines im not real sure thats why im here thanx!
Old 11-03-2009, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would save up man. Get performance, not stock.
Im saving up to get an exhaust system on mine.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:36 AM
TECH Resident

to answer your question more specifically instead of giving my opinion on what to do to your truck like everyone likes to do around here these days...

1. yes the ls6 intake will fit, BUT you have clearance issues with the throttle body and the water pump outlet. the car water pumps have the outlet on the front, the trucks come out the top. SO, you have to change the entire front accessory drive (water pump, alt, power steering, ac brackets and crank pulley) PLUS the truck intake actually flows very well.
2. yes the cams interchange also. just have to stay with the same gen 3 style. gen 4(ls2 ) cams dont have the correct cam sensor setup. a stock ls1 cam specs are almost identical to that of the 330 hp 5.3HO crate motor and have been proven to add 20-30 rwhp with a good tune dependant on other mods. 6.0L cams are also about the same specs. alot of times you can get these cams for free or next to nothing and if doing the labor yourslef is worth while IMO. im getting ready to put a 98 ls1 cam and ls6 yellow spring in my 5.3 AV since they are laying here and are free to me

most bolt ons are interchangable, you just have to whatch small fitmit issues. overall everything bolts up the same...
Old 11-04-2009, 03:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gold98Z28
to answer your question more specifically instead of giving my opinion on what to do to your truck like everyone likes to do around here these days...

1. yes the ls6 intake will fit, BUT you have clearance issues with the throttle body and the water pump outlet. the car water pumps have the outlet on the front, the trucks come out the top. SO, you have to change the entire front accessory drive (water pump, alt, power steering, ac brackets and crank pulley) PLUS the truck intake actually flows very well.
2. yes the cams interchange also. just have to stay with the same gen 3 style. gen 4(ls2 ) cams dont have the correct cam sensor setup. a stock ls1 cam specs are almost identical to that of the 330 hp 5.3HO crate motor and have been proven to add 20-30 rwhp with a good tune dependant on other mods. 6.0L cams are also about the same specs. alot of times you can get these cams for free or next to nothing and if doing the labor yourslef is worth while IMO. im getting ready to put a 98 ls1 cam and ls6 yellow spring in my 5.3 AV since they are laying here and are free to me

most bolt ons are interchangable, you just have to whatch small fitmit issues. overall everything bolts up the same...
^^^Good write-up. If you havn't already, a simple cold air intake and MagnaFlow catback will make your truck a lot more fun. The stock exhaust systems on our trucks are pretty restrictive.

Last edited by 02WS6SSZ71; 11-05-2009 at 05:04 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

thanx alot i already put on a k&n cai with a throttle body spacer and i am running strait pipes wich arent too loud suprisingly but i was just curious what mods i could do with just some parts my buddies took off their f-bodies cus i got a couple ls1 intakes but im wanting to do a cam upgrade with a set of headers if you have any other tips send them my way thanks!
Old 11-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by SuperSilverado_05
thanx alot i already put on a k&n cai with a throttle body spacer and i am running strait pipes wich arent too loud suprisingly but i was just curious what mods i could do with just some parts my buddies took off their f-bodies cus i got a couple ls1 intakes but im wanting to do a cam upgrade with a set of headers if you have any other tips send them my way thanks!
check out my build in my thread, you might like it! lol

just so you know the truck intake flows the same as the ls6 intake and better than the ls1 intake...
Old 11-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

thats crazy im thinking about a cam upgrade but i need some tips on wich cam to go with im not real sure
Old 11-09-2009, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

I have an 01 C1500 that I bought an 02 LS6 cam and springs for, then read some where that the 02 and up LS6 cams are small base circle, and that it means I have to buy new push rods. Have any of you herd this? Thought this might be a good ? to ask on this post. My truck came 4.8, so I bought an 01 LQ4 6.0 from a 2500 van. I'm like SuperSilverado 05, trying to go fast on the cheap. I know the 6.0 intake looks even taller than my 4.8 intake, glad to hear it flows pretty good. Think a 6.0 with an LS6 cam will work well in a truck app?
Old 11-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Banned

I have seen several truck guys go with the LS6 cam upgrade. The length of the LS6 pushrod is longer than your factory 5.3, so you will need cam, springs, and push rods. You might be able to find "pull outs", heck I might have a few. I can check if you like, and I have new springs and push rods I buy in bulk!! Let me know if I can help!!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

I thank you for the offer, but I still need to do some more homework. I bought that 6.0 LQ4, but I want to shave the heads to try and get a little more compression, so I don't think a production push rod will work. I don't know how much I can mill off the alm. 6.0 heads, and have not found any numbers yet. I've already put on a cold air intake, true dual 2 1/2 ex. elec. fans, and programed it with a Diablo Predator. That little 4.8 just won't move that 5000 lbs. truck fast enough though.