New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Support brace for exhaust pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Support brace for exhaust pipe

When I had my exhaust put on, they said I needed to get a support from BMR that goes in the center of the car to support the exhuast. The one that was on there before could not be used with the new pipe because the headers are about an inch lower.

Anyone know what that part is? Apparently goes below the seats, has two bolts on each side. Looks like an I beam.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

MMM, i'm not really sure what "they" meant there. There is a torque arm relocation bracket that moves the torque arm off the transmission and onto the body,and some are made to clear headers. UMI, BMR, and Spohn all make one I believe.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:23 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

It's called a tunnel brace, and it has nothing to do with supporting the exhaust. If the exhaust were to actually rest on it, you'd have horrible banging and vibration. It's just a body/floor pan brace. Many people just delete it without issues. Or you can replace it with a DS saftey loop, there are some made to clear aftermarket exhaust.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I put about 1/2" spacer washers between mine and the floorboard when I put the new exhaust on. But many people just toss it away without any problems
Old 11-08-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced mine with a BMR piece after replacing the Y pipe and adding SLP SFC's since the OE piece looked so flimsy. The new Y pipe made contact at times and sent horrible vibrations and noise through the floorboard like "RPM" said. I went back under and added washers like "intense" said and prob solved. The BMR piece is stout but hangs quite low and I have been hung up on a "traffic calming" speed bump - now THAT sounded bad! There are two "ears" on this brace that have been ground down from this but no real harm done.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:00 PM

Ahh, ok. Thanks for clarifying what this is, and the fact it is not really needed.

Quick Reply: Support brace for exhaust pipe