New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine block swap from ls1 to lsx shortblock - what parts can i theoritically keep?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 11:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine block swap from ls1 to lsx shortblock - what parts can i theoritically keep?

Hey Guys,

I'm new to this forum and after owning & building up 2 gt mustangs (a 96 vert and a 99 coupe) I saw the light and recently purchased my 1st Ls1 (98 Trans Am) - just like allot of people on this board I'm looking forward to building it up with a goal of 750 hp

1st task - --- I'm in the process of replacing the stock suspension and rear end (compliments of Strano, Texas Speed & Performance & UMI- (master poly bushing kit, slp valved bilstiens, strano sway bars & moser 9" 12 bolt & umi square tubular 3 point weld in sfc's) --- my camera charger is lost so i just ordered a new one as soon as i get it ill post the pics of the suspension and rear end work (will be 99% completed by then).

I was wondering if th LSX bowtie block (built out to 500cid) if I could use the external parts from my ls1 (ie....alternator, water pump, headers) I;ve heard the stock a4 4l60e may actually hold toghether, so I'm only going to look at upgrading tranny if/when the stock one goes. (any comments on this in particular are of course welcome) because if when the 4l60e im going in a different direction and will likely try to avoid a "built 4l60e"

what else should I budget aside from new intake system, new bigger fuel injectors & ecm ?

I know i got to get some better flowing heads but I was just curious if my stock ls1 heads & cam would actually bolt right up to the new lsx bowtie shortblock? (not that I would ever do this - just trying to find out whats transferable and whats not)

Also re: the bowtie lsx, im getting the 500cid which is supposed to give 700'sh hp n/a so spray is not in my plans, im just not experienced enough with it and afraid of spraying nos into something I just dumped 15k into.

Also, any recommendations on best vendor(s) to look at for ecm aka computer and the parts I need to get that are not transferable from my ls1 ?

Please let me know If any clarifications are needed, I'm sure I'm leaving some thing(s) out.
I'm admittedly pretty wet behind the ears but at the end of the day I'm optomistic it will all come together.

My last project (99 mustang) i ended up with a 351 that put 450hp to the wheels, I've only had this T/A for 5 weeks and am totally obsessed with it and excited about every mod

Thanks in advance !!!

Tom
Tampa Bay

Last edited by bossho; 11-16-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

Call TSP and talk to them.

I called and they talked with me about what I needed to get my goals and did not pressure me into buying anything just said they would be there when I was ready.

That type of customer service is awesome in my book.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:22 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of your accessories should basically bolt right up. All the block dimensions should be the same allowing everything from the stock motor to move over to the new block. However, like I'm sure you know, stock heads and cam is going to be a cork on a 500c.i. short-block. Currently with the 9.240" deck height block, a 454c.i. motor is all we are building. This will work fine for a NA build. We have made 750+ FWHP using this motor while remaining a streetable hydraulic setup.

If you are really looking to build this kind of setup, you can more than likely plan on getting something besides a 4L60E. I don't think it will last behind a motor of this power level. It might go for a little while but any kind of steady abuse, it won't stand up.

We can get you everything you need. We have all the conversion harnesses, covers, heads/cam, motor, and can tune the motor for you. We even have the ability to get you dyno numbers for the motor with our in-house engine dyno!

Let me know if you have any questions. This barely touches the high points on a build like this, but we can get you everything you need. Just let us know!

Jon
Old 11-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

Default Tsp

Jon,

TSP is absolutely #1 at the top of my list of preferred vendors, I look forward to your direction through the process.

Sincerely,

Tom Sullivan
Ellenton, FL
Old 11-18-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
Most of your accessories should basically bolt right up. All the block dimensions should be the same allowing everything from the stock motor to move over to the new block. However, like I'm sure you know, stock heads and cam is going to be a cork on a 500c.i. short-block. Currently with the 9.240" deck height block, a 454c.i. motor is all we are building. This will work fine for a NA build. We have made 750+ FWHP using this motor while remaining a streetable hydraulic setup.

If you are really looking to build this kind of setup, you can more than likely plan on getting something besides a 4L60E. I don't think it will last behind a motor of this power level. It might go for a little while but any kind of steady abuse, it won't stand up.

We can get you everything you need. We have all the conversion harnesses, covers, heads/cam, motor, and can tune the motor for you. We even have the ability to get you dyno numbers for the motor with our in-house engine dyno!

Let me know if you have any questions. This barely touches the high points on a build like this, but we can get you everything you need. Just let us know!

Jon
Jon, I've been throwing around the idea of a 440 LS7 or 454 LSX from TSP for several months now (I'm currently deployed to the middle east so I have plenty of time to think about it instead of driving my car ), I'm wondering what heads and cam you used to get 700ish flywheel out of that LSX? I've pretty much sold myself on one already but the final details I'm trying to hammer out before I get home in a few months so I have a good plan before I start buying. If you have any specs you could share that would be great. I'm looking for a street setup of 600ish rwhp N/A.