Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* CTS-V Clutch Slave Issue *HELP*

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default * CTS-V Clutch Slave Issue *HELP*

Here's the story, I just sold a heavily modded CTS-V 383 LS6 HCI N20 yada yada, drove the car car two hundred miles to meet the buyer half way with no issues, even got into her pretty good (140ish) to say goodbye after our 3 year love affair. About two hours after the transaction, the buyer calls me on my way home. He tells me he had to down shift from 5th to 4th but accidentally grabbed 2nd and almost went through the windshield. At that time while the car "I'm sure" was at red line or hitting the limiter when he quickly clutched it, the pedal stuck to the floor and that was it, it sounds as though the slave cylinder seals were blown out or the slave failed somehow, as there is no fluid in the reservoir and comes right out at the bottom of the bell. I am a stand up guy and know i sold a solid car with no known issues. I just want to know for sure if the slave was bad or the abrupt downshift could cause the slave failure. If it is his fault whether it was accidental or not, I don't feel as bad. If this failure can not be caused by a missed gear on a down shift then I will make the car right and deduct the repairs from what he paid for the car. I just want as much input as I can get. Thanks
Old 11-29-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Never heard of that before. I don't think it's a common problem or something that is anyone's fault but the guy driving. Unless it's proven to be possibly an installation error or something I wouldn't worry about it.

Are you using a different clutch/flywheel setup with a slave spacer?
Old 11-29-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds to me like he overrevved the engine causing the throwout bearing to overspin and damage the slave cylinder. I don't think its a coincidence that he overrevved the engine and the slave failed at the same time.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
Never heard of that before. I don't think it's a common problem or something that is anyone's fault but the guy driving. Unless it's proven to be possibly an installation error or something I wouldn't worry about it.

Are you using a different clutch/flywheel setup with a slave spacer?
Yes, it has a RAM powergrip HD, and a Billet FW, and there is a spacer behind the Slave. All is new not more than 1000 miles on the clutch, well 1200 now, no issues other than a little chatter and it holds the power all the way.

My main question is, can the excessive pressure from that instant high rpm clamp load break the slave. The guys argument is that, that couldn't cause the hydraulic system failure and that there was something wrong with the car when I gave it to him. I'm looking for a technical explanation as to how dropping into 2nd at highway speed can cause damage to the slave or master.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

You should post in the manual section. I'm sure there are cars out there that have been over revved.