New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Silverado 5.3L lifter noise.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by i6overboard
We had a customers truck making the same noise and the inside of this motor is clean, not neglected. The dealer told them new lifters for about 2,000.
That is exactly what I told the dealer. My truck is still under warranty. Hopefully they will see that too.
Thanks
Old 01-16-2010, 05:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats odd. I've had my 07 silverado (new body style) since it was new. It has never made that noise. Currently has a little over 56k on it, Mobile 1 5w30 oil changes done when the OLM gets around 20%. Does yours have AFM?
Old 01-16-2010, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
Thats odd. I've had my 07 silverado (new body style) since it was new. It has never made that noise. Currently has a little over 56k on it, Mobile 1 5w30 oil changes done when the OLM gets around 20%. Does yours have AFM?
What is OLM and AFM ? Not sure what that is. My truck has 60k on it, and the noise as been heard since about 8k.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rajcam79
What is OLM and AFM ? Not sure what that is. My truck has 60k on it, and the noise as been heard since about 8k.
I think OLF=oil life meter or monitor, AFM= active fuel management. You said you use the Delco PF48 filter...if that the shorter one we use on the LS1, or is that the P46 I'm thinking of? Yeah, I think PF46 is the LS1 filter. My truck uses a PF61, which is same base as the LS1, just longer cuz the oil pan is deeper on the truck.

Gotta love those on again off again sounds that vehicles make...never act up when you need them to.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Banned

I think OLF=oil life meter or monitor, AFM= active fuel management.
Correct. Does your truck have active fuel management?
Old 01-17-2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by 02WS6SSZ71
I think OLF=oil life meter or monitor, AFM= active fuel management. You said you use the Delco PF48 filter...if that the shorter one we use on the LS1, or is that the P46 I'm thinking of? Yeah, I think PF46 is the LS1 filter. My truck uses a PF61, which is same base as the LS1, just longer cuz the oil pan is deeper on the truck.

Gotta love those on again off again sounds that vehicles make...never act up when you need them to.
The truck has active fuel management, as for the oil life monitor I change the oil when it is saying 30% life. I believe the the PF48 is a bit longer than the PF46, and it also appears to have a spring at the bottom of the filter.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:35 AM
Banned

I'm wondering if it has one lifter that is collapsing inside its self until you rev it up.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

I checked the oil pressure and looked at the dipstick while the noise is present and there was no foaming present. Does your sound start immediately, if not I would chance replacing the oil pump pickup tube o-ring.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by i6overboard
I checked the oil pressure and looked at the dipstick while the noise is present and there was no foaming present. Does your sound start immediately, if not I would chance replacing the oil pump pickup tube o-ring.
Oil pressure is normal about 60 psi when started up . It makes the ticking noise right at start up.

I took the truck to my local dealer last week. They heard the noise, but said to me that it was normal. They also said it wasn't as loud as the video I showed them. I am calling GM customer service again, to have it logged in the system once again. May be one day they could figure this out.

Well the truck is at the dealer again, but this time they found a bulletin on the lifters. The bulletin is for vehicles with active fuel management. This bulletin is from October 2009. Why the heck they didn't tell me this then ! All vehicles with afm will get new lifters. Other than that this truck is AWESOME !!!!

I have the bulletin number for the lifters # PIP4499B Dealer won't have lifters till spring of 2010.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by cjmatt
haha, you guys have never heard of the piston slap? all ls motors do it. Its not harmful. Just not good to wind em out when cold. the pistons shrink when its cold and rattle a tiny bit until they warm up a bit. then they fill the bore and quiet down. I always let my car warm up for a minute when its cold. but it wont effect reliability
I had an '02 Z71 with piston slap. It is from too much clearance between the piston and the cylinder wall. I was told it was primarily a problem with '99-'02 trucks. GM paid me $4500 in May of 2005. The attorneys got $1750. This is a condition that can cause pre-mature wear of the engine. My truck sounded like a diesel when it was cold.........flash to the present, my current '07 Z71, 32k miles, exhibits low oil pressure at idle, 24 lbs, then swings up to 45 lbs. This may be normal, maybe not. Just checked with Chevy, of course they said it was normal. I love Bow ties but man they make it hard to.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:13 PM

I have an "07 GMC with a 5.3 and had some major trouble the other day. I only have 52k on her and a few lifters went out. I was going down the road and my check engine light came on. After that the service Stabilitrac and service traction control came across the computer. The transmission started shifting hard and she ran like a dog. Long story short, it is at the dealership getting them replaced, under warranty of course. Anybody else had this issue?
Old 12-23-2010, 11:44 AM

Default 2007 chevy silverado ltz

I have a 2007 silverado ltz with app. 50k miles. My truck sounds exactly like yours (especially on cold mornings.) Have you found out anything yet that helps this? I told the dealership and they blew me off like it was no big deal. This ticking drives me insane! Please let me know if you hear of a remedy
Old 12-26-2010, 06:16 PM

Well, so far I have found this post to be pretty helpful.

Here is my story.

I own a 2006 GMC Sierra Z71 with a 5.3L with 140k on it. I have maintained this truck to a T.

Back in July I first noticed an engine tick that I had never heard before and this was around 125k miles. This is FOR SURE the same lifter tick in the video posted. The noise would not necessarily be at start up, but could be after driving a couple of miles and then it would (WILL) start and then last for a few more miles and then stop.

I first went to my independent mechanic and he said that it was trash in the lifters. So we did an "engine flush". Paid him $85 and drove it away .... TICKING!

So then I was told it was more than likely a "bad" lifter and probably CAM too and it would be around $800 to replace the 16 lifters or $1800 for lifters and cam. So I kept driving it and listening to the noise and it has grown to an every day occurance now and has been for a while.

Engine seems strong and no engine lights are on. My Oil pressure guage starts up around 30 psi and then will get up to 40 psi eventually. I questioned possible oil pump problems but have been advised not the problem.

I also visted the GM dealer and allowed them to comment and listen to a video of the noise and was told lifter noise .... questioned cam ..... was told oil pump pressure normal. Now this was a casual conversation in the shop and they never popped the hood.

So I figured throwing $800 at it hoping that it was a bad lifter. This past week my independent mechanic replaced all 16 lifters and I DROVE OUT OF HIS SHOP TICKING!! I let him listen to the noise still when leaving and me throwing my hands up. He said to drive it and that it is a lifter not pumping up and that I should have replaced the CAM too like he suggested.

Now I am online researching trying to figure out what to do next. Spoke mechanic who works for a customer of mine and he said that the oil pump could possibly be going out.

Here is my thought now:

Noise = Lifter Ticking
what is making lifter tick?
1. Bad lifter - well now replaced & wasted $800 = X, not the problem
2. Trash in lifter - X, not the problem
3. Lifter not pumping up - BINGO WHY??
- WEAK OR BAD OIL PUMP OR SOMETHING TO DO WITH THIS BAD O-RING OR TUBE OR SCREEN

Now, why was I being told to replace the CAM and that I would not be hearing this noise now if I would have let him replace the cam too. The new lifters were put in and 10 miles were put on the truck when I came to get and I drove away ticking. So he means that in 10 miles more debris came off my cam and put more trash in the lifter to make the new ones have a tick? He did say that he inspected the cam and noticed a couple of very small "flakes".

I guess by now you can probably sense that I am totally disgusted with the problem and just want it to go away ...... as cheaply as possible. I feel that a well maintained 140k mile engine should give me more return than this.

Not to mention I have owned an 04, 05, 06 Seirra with same engines and also my wife currently drives an 04 Yukon with the same engine with 90k on it ....... no lifter tick ever on it.

Any help would be appreciated or hope I have helped someone else too. I am now thinking to test the oil pump or change the oring or tube. But how much trouble is it to get to and replace the tube or oring?

Couple other notes:
lifter noise flows with engine RPM's
using correct oil filter
noise fades out once lifter pumps up, warm or cold weather had no affect it seems.
for sure it is not an rod nock or a piston slap
loudest on the driver side under front wheel well, with old and new lifters

Thanks!

Well, figured I would add an update and final conclusion. Took truck to another technician and asked for a second opinion and explained my journey thus far.

He went in to top and checked lifters and push rods, rocker arms, etc. and found nothing. He did find that there was a lot of air coming from somewhere and it would either be the pickup tube oring bad or cam bearing or bearings possibly gone. So, from there he pulled the oil pan. Well, low and behold, the oil pan was full of metal shavings and the cam bearing was shot. He stated that when he pulled the pan, the pickup tube just fell off right away indicating that it was not sealed that well and that the oring was very hardened.

So, bottome line I am now looking at putting another used engine in the truck!

Im wondering if it was the oring all along allowing air and restricting oil flow and wound up starving the engine for oil and wearing out cam bearings, etc. I roughly put 25k miles on the truck ticking like this to this point ...... big mistake I guess.

Word to the wise, if you engine is making that exact lifter tick noise .... it is not normal and for some reason or another, oil is not getting to the proper places. Hard lesson for me, just wish I would have not flushed the money down the drain for the lifter replacements last week!!

Quick Reply: 2007 Silverado 5.3L lifter noise.