Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob LS question on DTC and PCM

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Noob LS question on DTC and PCM

I searched for 5+ minutes and have not found my answer, probably so basic it is considered common knowledge but I am a total noob here. I just sold my Lt1 94 Trans Am and bought a modded 99 Trans Am and of course it is throwing a SES code now.

Anyway for my LT1 you had to buy an ALDL cable, OBD1 to hook up to the diagnostic port and to the USB of my laptop. Is this the only way to pull the code? I believe I need an OBDII cable this time around? I guess autozone can usually pull these for free too right? Any easy way without this stuff?

Also for the LT1 I could pull the PCM fuse to clear the code and verify I have a real problem by making sure the code comes back. Is this safe to do?
Old 01-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Launching!

New car is OBD II. Autozone can run the codes for free. Turn the key to run, pull the right fuse, wait a few minutes, put fuse back in and turn if off (may have the order of these last two steps reversed) to clear the codes.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

To reset the computer, you need to turn the key to on position and pull the pcm ign fuse and pcm bat fuse, leave key on for ten minutes, turn key off, replace fuses. Your car will have to run through it's cycle before the SES light comes back. Also your car will have to search for it's idle after reset, don't worry about that. I like to run mine down the freeway for a little while and then back home on city streets. Your best bet would probably be to get a tune done, depending on what code you are throwing.