Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Issues

On my 98 SS i have a problem with the ignition system simply not wanting to work at random times. It may work for two weeks and then screw up. What happens is ill put the key in and turn it to start the car and the gauges will start jumping around all except the voltmeter which stays all the way down or goes up just barely. The dash lights flicker and flash on and off, and the trip odometer always resets. When i try to turn it over theres just nothing there. Not like a dead battery where it clicks and just doesnt have juice, i turn it and nothing happens. Ill sit there and turn the key back and forth trying to start it and ill get nothing from it and then ill try it one time and it'll just take right off. It could be like 2 times or like last saturday i sat in a parking lot 10 minutes before it finally fired. Any help would be greatly appreciated because im lost here.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You definately have a short somewhere. I'd grab a voltmeter and start from the ignition and work my way out. It's gonna suck but that's really the only way to find the gremlin.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is the symptons these cars have with a weak battery. Get it tested.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 164 Likes on 125 Posts

Could possibly be a bad Ignition Switch to..I had the same symptons and it was the Switch.