Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb here !!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003 | 02:21 PM
Teching In

Default Newb here !!!

Hello and Happy Holidays to everyone!!

I've a fairly quick and simple question concerning my ride..... I feel certain that it has probably been answered somewhere on this vast board, and in fact, there is a post not too far below this one that is fairly similar but not excactly what I'm seeking. But, before I waste anyone's time, please redirect me to the proper place if this post is inappropriate for this column.

Basically... here's what I'm lookin' for... after browsning this site... I gotta say one thing... WOW! So much information here!! So who better to ask about exhaust, air intakes and the likes than you guys! (lucky you)

So here's the question(s)? I own a 1998 Camaro Z... *sigh* nearly completely stock!! I know I know.. don't run me off yet!! For various reasons the car is still this way...and yes.. I've owned it since it rolled out of the showroom ... *double * So..now has come time to do a few mods.. probably mostly bolt on since I'm no person to be tinkerin' with stuff on a car.. computer maybe... but not a car. So.. .can anyone break down for me the varous pieces of an exhaust... their function and maybe recomment some bolt on after market exhausts that are worth the time and money?? I love the Borla sound...but can't afford the Borla bucks....if ya see my point. I can spare some cash..but not 7,8, 900 bucks a pop. Second... I need help with the air intake.. MAF and the like...and what aftermarket parts do the job here. BAsically I'm looking to add a few horsepower (nothing too major as I have no tuner and live in a very rural area of South Carolina). Oh yeah...why not completey stock?? I've done the free *ram air* mod and ummm...the name of the other escapes me... but it has to do with airflow...pulling out a sensor or something and shaving off some length so air flow is more adequate or less turbulent?? both really simple and listed on many sites as free mods. *yeah.. I know.. I am idiot* lol

Any other suggestions for bolt on performance that isn't too tricky would also be appreciated. Or if anyone knows a tuner nearby to SC..that might help too.. I saw a tuner's thread but haven't had the opportunity to check it out.

Thank everyone!! I hope this post makes some sense ... I'm just habby to be here though

And any cop should sign off with these

hehe.. yeah..I work in law enforcement... *let the flames begin*
Old 12-27-2003 | 02:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Welcome!

Exhaust:
Headers: They attach to the output of the cylinder heads and are the beginning of the external exhaust system...the most popular varieties are mid-length and long tube, named for their design. Kooks, QTP seem to be the most popular LTs

Y-pipe: A pipe that merges the two header/manifold outlets into a singular pipe. They can be used with or without catalytic converters. When no cats are used, it is commonly referred to as an ORY or off-road y.

Catalytic converters: Devices that are used to help remove unburned emissions from the exhaust stream...these serve an emissions reducing function and are required by federal law on most street vehicles. Although there are high-flow models available, these will rob performance from your vehicle due to flow restriction.

Intermediate Pipe: This is the single pipe that goes from the outlet of your Y-pipe back and over the axle to the muffler. 3" diameter seems to be the most popular.

Muffler: Well, there are numerous variations of these.

Catback exhaust system: These are complete systems including intermediate pipe, muffler(s), tailpipes, and tips.

There are also true dual systems out there. These don't use a y-pipe, they maintain two seperate pipes from the header outlet to the end of the system. Some of these systems use an X-pipe which still maintains two pipes, but allows them to meet in the middle to equalize flow.

As for headers: QTP, Kooks, Jet Hots, Hooker, etc. are the popular brands. The QTPs and Kooks are the more expensive models with prices varying with the type of material used and coatings, etc.

As for exhaust systems: The GMMG chambered cat-back system seems to be the most popular (although very pricey), but everyone's tastes vary as to sound quality...it comes down to budget and preference.

As for intake: If you have a 98 Z, then a good upgrade would be to convert to an LS6 intake. Airbox lids are basically the same, so cheapest is usually the best! MAFs and MAF ends are a highly debated topic, so do a search and chech on them...
Hope this helps! Now, let me sign off correctly:

Old 12-27-2003 | 03:15 PM
wrencher

Awwh! I want to sign off that way too! O-well I guess I'll have to deal with or maybe .
Welcome to the board .
Old 12-27-2003 | 03:46 PM
'Bird Director

From: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant

Welcome to the fun!
Old 12-28-2003 | 01:57 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the warm welcome folks! Thanks Lawman for that newbi fact sheet on the exhaust components.

I think I'll be adding an aftermarket cat system first... then look to the LS6 mod....and from there... I'm sure you guys will see me beggin' for input on the boards again!!

Lawman..love that ride...lol
Old 12-28-2003 | 05:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Old 12-28-2003 | 05:52 PM
7 Second Club

welcome welcome
Old 12-31-2003 | 07:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

as far as exhaust goes i wanna say go with loudmouth. it is a little loud but you can always swap the bullets with dynomax bullets. i have done this and i think it is better. Not too loud in normal driving but then when u slam the gas pedal it turns mean.
Old 12-31-2003 | 08:25 PM
Teching In

Thanks Echo!! gonna check into that! I have another problem with the ride I gotta sort out first...gonna make a new post on it...nothing major I don't think.. but we'll see.

98Z
Old 12-31-2003 | 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

dont get the loudmouth if you are planning !cat ory with longtubes

if you are poor how about a cutout?

i dig my hooker catback ,looks tight, sounds great, not too loud.

should sound great with my pacesetter lt's/ory soon..
Old 12-31-2003 | 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

Smile

Welcome brah.Im sure youll find alot of info. concerning the ls1.