New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem: Thumping while backing up??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem: Thumping while backing up??

I've noticed an unusual problem whenever I back my car (00 ws6) out of parking spaces. It happens when the wheels are cut fully in one direction,and I am backing out. Its sounds/feels like a loud thumping coming from the front wheel area. It thumps in a consistent rate (while keeping the speed of the car consistent), it almost feels like flat tire, but only when I'm backing out. Any idea's as to what could be causing this?

I've also noticed that the steering on my car seems somewhat loose, and the car does tend to wander along the road quite a bit.

Any insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike
Old 12-30-2003, 10:38 AM
Launching!

Sounds like you might have some loose steering components or something. You havent run into any curbs or anything lately have you?
Old 12-30-2003, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a thumping when backing up on my '95 Saturn. It turned out to be one of the plastic skirts in the fender well came loose and was rubbing on the wheel / tire. Wouldn't explain the other steering problems though. I'd probably take it for an alignment and have them check the front suspension / steering out.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:35 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by rschumacherfan1
I had a thumping when backing up on my '95 Saturn. It turned out to be one of the plastic skirts in the fender well came loose and was rubbing on the wheel / tire. Wouldn't explain the other steering problems though. I'd probably take it for an alignment and have them check the front suspension / steering out.
Definitly get an alignment. Our cars don't need any help wandering around. Check out your bushings. I know it's still kinda early, but you never know with rubber, and road wear. My dad's van does the same sound, but when driving foward. He too, needs an alignment.....BAD. Almost making a left turn going straight!LOL!
Old 12-30-2003, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

Whats unusual about it is that if I am on a perfectly flat, level piece of road, the car will run straight, or at the very most have a slight pull in one direction. That would indicate to me that its not the alignment???

Now, if I am on a street or highway where there are some ridges running lengthwise down the highway, the car can be somewhat hard to control, dancing all over the place. I've never had a car do this before, so it is somewhat scary.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:49 PM
STF Veteran

Dude, I totally forgot to welcome you, man. Sorry! Welcome!

Yeah, our cars are funny with the road like that,but it shouldn't be REAL hard to control. I was a little freaked out, too. When it's REAL hard to control the wheel alignment really is needed....... quicklike! A "slight" pull? A slight pull can be a HARD pull at speed. A pull in either direction on perfectly flat road is alignment time in my book.