Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions bout performance and apperance

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions bout performance and apperance

HEy all, im new to this forum so bear wit me... I am looking for red interior lights for my Black and Red 98 Trans am. Does anyone ahve any recomendations on where to get them. Im also wanting to customize the interior of my car such as the dash board... climate control ***** and so forth and i have no clue where i should go to find ***** and buttons for that. I am also waundering what type of oil works best in T/A to get maximum performance out it. The last thing, could be sorta lengthy is What kind of mods can I add to my car to increase torque and horse power but at the same time not be much over 500 dollers per mod... As i am still in school anyways any help would be greatly appreciated... Late all...
-TransAmMan

Last edited by TransAmMan; 12-30-2003 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Look better
Old 12-30-2003, 06:56 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by TransAmMan
HEy all, im new to this forum so bear wit me... I am looking for red interior lights for my Black and Red 98 Trans am. Does anyone ahve any recomendations on where to get them.
NOOOOOOOO! Do not add neons to the iterior!(I'm praying thats not what you mean by lights)

Im also wanting to customize the interior of my car such as the dash board... climate control ***** and so forth and i have no clue where i should go to find ***** and buttons for that. I am also waundering what type of oil works best in T/A to get maximum performance out it.
This is a matter of preference. I like Mobil1 Synthetic 10W30. Read up and base it off of climate conditions in your area. There's a thread on this topic in the same section,right now! It's called Royal Purple Oil.

The last thing, could be sorta lengthy is What kind of mods can I add to my car to increase torque and horse power but at the same time not be much over 500 dollers per mod... As i am still in school anyways any help would be greatly appreciated... Late all...
There are, of course the free mods, and you can get some alright LT's for under 500 bills. Cams and springs vary in price, but usually under 500. And a torque converter for an A4 would be a good investment with some drag radials, also a tranny cooler and shift kit. Both the TC an DR's go for under 500 respectively. Lid an Catback will net you some cheap quick and easy HP, too... both for under 500 combined. You can also get a cutout for way under $500 for some nice numbers. Last, if you just wanna go fast, NOW. Get a nice 100 shot of NOS, but that's over $500.

-TransAmMan
I like your sig, but the 2002 is the BEST, IMO!
Give us some more info on your car so we can help you better. A4 or M6? What do you want out of it? Quick daily driver? DD with some track time? Or strip only?

Last edited by 02PHOENIX; 12-30-2003 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you have an auto I would say get a torque converter.
If your a 6M get some 4.10's and a Pro 5.0 shifter.
also look into a new air lid or a catback.
welcome and have fun!
Old 12-30-2003, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default No neons for me... no worries.

Ok i have a auto matic transmission with a shifter kit now I am waundering if it would better to swap out the transmission to a six speed manual or is there somthing that i could do to my automatic to give it more power... such as torque converter... or should i just switch the trans mission out.

As for the interior lights i dont want neon lights i looked into that and they dont look good with real american cars For those rice burners No i am looking for interior lights like dome and the mirror reading lights... I want red ones to match my interior. Crusing lights you might say.... I could show you a pic of my car if that would help any... msn messanger is masterofthewo64@hotmail.com

Also What about switchs and so forth like the airconditions buttons and ***** is there any places that sell those... Wanting to customize the look of my interior as much as possible.
Attached Thumbnails Questions bout performance and apperance-p1010467part3.jpg  
Old 12-30-2003, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know that I would switch out tranny's. You can make that auto really fast and show up some 6 speeds if you put in a torque converter. As for the interior lights I have red ones in my mirror lights and rear light as well. Go to Autozone or somewhere like that and they sell the bulbs in red or they sell red sleeves to cover your existing bulbs. Nice car btw! One other thing I noticed you
could do is paint your brake calipers red to match your accents.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:20 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I've seen red-colored bulbs at auto parts stores before.....I actually had a few in an '82 Citation that I once owned. They didn't last too long as the coloring would burn off of the bulb.

Cheap horsepower would have to be lid, cat-back, and all the free mods.

I've not seen any custom ***** for our cars. There are plenty of decals and overlays that you could use. I've seen some that are specifically for the heater/air controls.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default hmmmm

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
I've seen red-colored bulbs at auto parts stores before.....I actually had a few in an '82 Citation that I once owned. They didn't last too long as the coloring would burn off of the bulb.

Cheap horsepower would have to be lid, cat-back, and all the free mods.

I've not seen any custom ***** for our cars. There are plenty of decals and overlays that you could use. I've seen some that are specifically for the heater/air controls.
Where would i go to find these decals and so forth, ive seens ome cars with custom ***** and so forth but i guess they could of made them themselves if they knew what they were doing....
Old 12-30-2003, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I recently bought a set of overlays for my car that I think are kinda neat, pretty cheap too.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2451402203
Old 12-30-2003, 07:29 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by JDPZ28
I don't know that I would switch out tranny's. You can make that auto really fast and show up some 6 speeds if you put in a torque converter. One other thing I noticed you could do is paint your brake calipers red to match your accents.
Yeah, a good TC could take a full second off your E.T.
Too much work, IMO.
The painted calipers would go good, too.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JDPZ28
I don't know that I would switch out tranny's. You can make that auto really fast and show up some 6 speeds if you put in a torque converter. As for the interior lights I have red ones in my mirror lights and rear light as well. Go to Autozone or somewhere like that and they sell the bulbs in red or they sell red sleeves to cover your existing bulbs. Nice car btw! One other thing I noticed you
could do is paint your brake calipers red to match your accents.

What all can you do to a Automatic transmission to make it compare to a sixspeed.... ive been told that with a automatic you loose 30 percent of your engine power to the transmission vs 10 percent or so with a manual... if this is true is there anyway i can reclaim some of that lost engine power... What things can i do to my tranny to make it comprable? Where can i go to find the parts?

-Thanks for being so helpful guys... this place is awesome.
-I also attached some pics of my car tell me what you guys think and if there is anything i should add... i think it's a really pretty car.
Attached Thumbnails Questions bout performance and apperance-p1010468part2.jpg   Questions bout performance and apperance-p1010467part3.jpg   Questions bout performance and apperance-p1010469part1.jpg  
Old 12-30-2003, 07:38 PM
STF Veteran

You could take your front plate out of your windshield. In an accident, that would be very dangerous. And we like our new members to stick around. Very nice car. Any interior picks?
Old 12-30-2003, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Automatic transmissions and Mods

Other then torque converters how can i reclaim the horsepower and torque that is claimed by the automatic transmission? Where do i go to get these mods and so forth... as for the plate lol ive already been in one car wreck and im barley 18 somthing i dont want to relive again.. and whats most ironic is that i was hit by a cop ill upload some pics of my car wreck for you guys as soon as i can get my scanner working and ill try to get you some interior pics ... i put some seat covers with dragons on them just recently and ill upload them as soon as possible... it's hard to do work to my car considering that i work in a hospital cafe and only make 10 a hour so yeah...
Old 12-30-2003, 08:35 PM
STF Veteran

ONLY 10 an hour! I make minimum, man, consider yourself fortunate.

Of course, I have other means of making money........wanna race?
Old 12-30-2003, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default My job also includes free food

Hehe i dont think my car would win with it's auto matic... did anyone read my previous message about torque converters...? and manual and auto matic transmissions... ?
Old 12-30-2003, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not much you can do to reduce the parasitic loss of the auto tranny over the manual. However, the difference isn't quite as drastic as you've outlined. Probably more on the order of about 15% loss for a manual, and 25% for an auto. Still, 10% is on the order of 30hp and up. A good torque converter can really make up for a good chunk of that hp disadvantage though. And unless you're very interested in corner carving/autox/on the edge handling, there's not much advantage to going with a 6-speed.

As for performance mods, just spend some time reading all the posts in the external and internal engine boards. You'll find virtually all the info you could want about modifying your engine (unless you're seriously interested in nitrous or forced induction, but then you just have to read through those two boards) Read up on the boards, then if you have any specific questions, ask them on the appropriate board.

the auto tranny board will have all the info you need on building up your tranny for best performance. The appearance board has a bunch of excellent info on improving the appearance of your ride, both exterior and interior. And as far as interior mods, a nice tasteful mod is overlays. In particular Mallory billet Aluminum, link on the right, makes some very nice real aluminum overlays for the controls (doesn't change the buttons, but looks very nice) Check out their page for pics and prices. The prices are on the expensive side, but this is quality stuff. There are also a number of gauge overlays available. Check the appearance boards for details and links.

Welcome to the forum, there's a ton of excellent information available here, and a whole bunch of extremely knowledgeable F-body owners here covering every aspect of our rides.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Thanks...

I sorta asked that question twice on other post but since thats answered dont worry about that one.... anyways thanks raskel... appreciate it.