See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

Spark Plug Change In LS1 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Easy on my car, no emissions, no ac and I have headers. Takes maybe a half hour including a beer break. Like everyone else said the passenger side coil bracket must come out. I only use the front three bolts to hold each coil bracket in. I used TR55s gapped at .055. If you think the back plug on the passenger side is a bitch try threading an air hose in that back one to keep the valves up during a cam/valve spring install.
The following users liked this post:
Matt Miller (10-20-2023)
Old 04-11-2017, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you use NGK plugs you should read their website as why they say not to put anti-seize on their spark plug threads.

https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about-...ut-spark-plugs
The following users liked this post:
Matt Miller (10-20-2023)
Old 04-13-2017, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NGk TR55. They are cheap, readily available, and work.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread popped up saying I had already posted in it. Not recalling doing so I clicked it. Then I realized it was a thread from 2010. Explains why I didn't remember posting in it.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am thinking the right front wheel could be removed and you could make a hole in the inner fender with a hole saw to get #8. Afterwards you could cover the hole to keep water from splashing in there. If the car is never in the rain you could just leave it open.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:09 AM
Teching In

Default Thanks for the help

02 camaro z28 here. all stock with all the emission crap still on it. After checking with this site I removed the air lines to the exhaust manifolds. The coil rail and plastic cowl on the passenger side and got the #8 plug from the top. Just used standard 3/8 ratchet and plug socket to break it lose and then added a universal and pretty much spun it out by hand. Thanks again for the advice.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

Last night I attempted finishing up an exhaust job I did by swapping over to new long tubes and yada yada. I ended up doing plug #8 with the coil bracket still on and I wont do it again. I was just being lazy and didnt want to pull the coils just for that one plug. I will not do that again, my arm is beat up bad lol.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Default Did mine today

Changed my plugs and added MSD wires today. My first time.... Did all 8 from up top. Did remove the AIR tube on passenger side, along with the coil bracket. And didn't bother with reinstalling the rear bracket nut. F that thing. I didn't think it was as big of a nightmare as I've read all over the internet.... Didnt need a swivel socket, universal joint, or anything special. Just sockets, ratchet, and a wrench. And I don't have tiny hands... Either im that lucky or that skilled.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

I also yanked the passenger side coil bracket to get to the back plugs. The biggest problem was trying to get the rear passenger plug wire fully plugged in again. I had to spend quite a while fighting with it. Still easier than the rear plugs on most transverse v6 motors
Old 09-28-2019, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bammax
I also yanked the passenger side coil bracket to get to the back plugs. The biggest problem was trying to get the rear passenger plug wire fully plugged in again. I had to spend quite a while fighting with it. Still easier than the rear plugs on most transverse v6 motors
I know this thread is old but bammax how did you get the rear passenger plug wire fully plugged in again?
Old 09-29-2019, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SSvet
I know this thread is old but bammax how did you get the rear passenger plug wire fully plugged in again?
I wedged my arm in there and managed to get the wire on the plug by pressing and twisting, then I put the coil pack in place and attached the wire to the coil before I bolted the coil pack down. It was mainly just wiggling things and focusing on that one plug wire before I did anything else. Having the coil loose gives you a bit more slack to get everything plugged in.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Change In LS1 Camaro